Hackett's Red Zone playcalling ineffective

Big Turk

While Im on the fence about Hackett's offence, shouldn't it be mentioned that he calls the plays for the 2nd and 3rd string O who have scored td's while in the redzone during this preseason? Im not sure which side of the argument this validates though.... ugh

Stop it. No room for that kind of reasoning here. Doooooomed.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I don't have amnesia. I distinctly remember everyone saying this last preseason and the cries were "it's just preseason" and then when we started 0-3, there were literally boards that started:

My thing is where are the screens, misdirections, rubs/picks off bunch sets that would free up players just by design?

"We were among the best screen teams in the NFL last year...WR screens, RB screens, Middle screens...where are they? Our backs are phenomenal screen backs...

We have a mobile QB but rarely use it to our advantage...where are the misdirections or the waggles that send the run action and line one way and then drags a TE or FB back across the formation usually leaving them wide open especially with aggressive, over pursuing teams...

No picks or rubs that would especially be effective against teams jamming WRs at the line as you can force the DB covering a WR to fight through four defenders to get to his man, or if they switch, likely cause confusion at some point when one of the 3 DBs makes a mental mistake...

This is basic stuff that I saw no evidence of us doing and was very disappointed since this would be the perfect team to do this against... "

So, I really don't have faith that there is some magical extended playbook out there that they're just WAITING to unleash on regular season match-ups.

My thing is where are the screens, misdirections, rubs/picks off bunch sets that would free up players just by design?

I recall a few called screens that were horribly executed.

I'll just go ahead and (again) challenge anyone beefing about playcalling to go back and watch 59 lunge behind the tackling/pressuring defender.

EJ had a ball batted on fourth down. Guess who was blocking him.

For all we know, that whole goal line series could have been dedicated to finding out what to do with Legursky--does he make the team or do they go in another direction.

That's what the preseason is for--player evaluation and roster selection. And yet this continues to elude more than a fair share of posters.

Yeah, I really wish EJ had a better touch for screens. They're a tire fire.

It aint EJ's fault. There's at least one blocking whiff on every attempt.

I recall a few called screens that were horribly executed.

I felt like I was going hoarse making this point throughout 2013 and this off season. Get him space! Where are the screens!? Uh...yeah. **** don't work.

For all we know, that whole goal line series could have been dedicated to finding out what to do with Legursky--does he make the team or do they go in another direction.

That's what the preseason is for--player evaluation and roster selection. And yet this continues to elude more than a fair share of posters.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this is the case for MOST of the game. It was clearly another practice: see the safety fiasco.

Guest Diesel-USMC

What I tend to notice is the vast differences in the play calling when EJ and the first team offense is one the field versus when the 2nd, 3rd and 4th guys are running around out there. Its amost as though, when EJ is on the field, there is a select number of things that they "have to see". In all 3 games so far, its been almost identical playcalling for EJ and the first team. I find it hard to believe that they aren't just running things that they feel they need to see before the season starts.

As far as the redzone is concerned, its less about play calling and more about execution. At the 40, they have a large area to utilyze. Inside the 20, the window is cut in half. The players dont have the luxury of "taking it wide", running slick routes or improvising. There is a lot going on in a single play. These guys have to get it done. If, come the regular season, the play calling is still as vague as it has been, then there is cause for calling on Hackett to be replaced.

its definitely a fair point, and one ive brought up several times to not get too high or low ---- you expect some odd happenings. but you also expect the highs and lows on both sides. that we havent been able to punch it in at all yet, though a small sample size and totally out of the ordinary situation.... it might not be meaningful, but it certainly isnt a positive. itd be nice to be arguing that our continued success was due to the other team testing out guys that failed.

Play calling goes hand in hand with game planning. At this stage, I'm less concerned about play calling than I am about the ability of our players to simply line up and beat the man across from them, which is really what the coaches are trying to determine at this point.

GO BILLS!!!

its definitely a fair point, and one ive brought up several times to not get too high or low ---- you expect some odd happenings. but you also expect the highs and lows on both sides. that we havent been able to punch it in at all yet, though a small sample size and totally out of the ordinary situation.... it might not be meaningful, but it certainly isnt a positive. itd be nice to be arguing that our continued success was due to the other team testing out guys that failed.

Taken another way, the first team unit, if not for playing situational football (going for it on fourth) would have had four scoring drives in the first half.

Yeah, I really wish EJ had a better touch for screens. They're a tire fire.

As poor as you think EJ's touch on screens is, our OLines ability to execute is 100x worse. And it's a shame because we have two backs to really take advantage of them.

GO BILLS!!!

Guest Diesel-USMC

Play calling goes hand in hand with game planning. At this stage, I'm less concerned about play calling than I am about the ability of our players to simply line up and beat the man across from them, which is really what the coaches are trying to determine at this point.

GO BILLS!!!

Thta is kind of the point of the training camp and preseason. I can understand fans wanting to see amazing plays but I am with you, this is a completely different mode than regular season. I guess they could counter with "other teams are doing great". We could respond with, most of them have the same teams from last year intact. But in the end, this will just go round and round.

I know I don't have amnesia. I distinctly remember everyone saying this last preseason and the cries were "it's just preseason" and then when we started 0-3, there were literally boards that started:

Perhaps you do have selective amnesia, since the Bills were 1-2 after 3 weeks and 2-2 after 4 weeks, last season.

Hackett doesn't seem to understand there are different rules for playcalling when in the red zone and especially inside the 10 yard line due to the compression of the field and more people in a small area...

They move the ball very well in between the 20s but stall time and again in the red zone. Where are the play action passes to the TE's that always seem to work for every other team? Our playcalling isn't adjusting properly...same calls, same plays, not working

It's preseason.

I'm telling you guys...Hostler is going to be the key. His one freaking job is to gameplan against the upcoming opponent and analyze the Bills' tendencies.

We simply can't use last season, or this preseason, as an indicator or predictor of how things will be run once the season starts.

What we can do is analyze individual matchups and who is winning/losing those battles during these practice games.

I was scanning this thread to find any mention of Hostler or Todd Downing. I finally get it 4 pages in (thanks eball).

This year we have a lot of additional, experienced brainpower working on the offense, and I have no doubt that the new coaches provide input to Hackett - specifically as eball points out, we'll be doing a better job of targeting the weaknesses of our opponents than we did last year. It's simplistic to target just Hackett or Marrone when there are new voices behind the scenes. I'm willing to wait and see on this, and I do think the drives we are putting together (at least between the 20's) are reason for optimism.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

Guest Diesel-USMC

Good catch ha. I live in Carolina and somehow forgot we beat them at the last second

With a well orchestrated 2 minute drill and a hint of pass interference sealing the deal.

Edited by ninja rooster

I wouldn't mind Chandler extending his arms to make the catch in the EZ. Then play calling would be a moot point.

I agree with you completely - Chandler has to carve out his spot and then maybe even come back for that ball. Even if he comes back he still gets in I think.