Ranking all 32 backup quarterbacks - Tuel 31/32

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fer sher. They even have QB's listed(like Bridgewater) that have yet to take a real season snap. A silly list on many levels.

There's no doubt based on his college career and draft status Bridgewater should be placed above many on the list. The author just has to go on whats available.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

With all the needs we had, I guess we didn't have the luxury to have depth at QB (especially with the Kolb bust), but wow this NFL ranking is scary.

Tuel is 2nd to last with the skinny reading:

"Tuel's two rookie-year appearances were nightmarish. His arm isn't NFL-caliber ... "

http://www.nfl.com/n...up-quarterbacks

based on what everyone saw vs Cleveland and Kansas City, how can he be ranked any higher. I always felt Thad Lewis was the backup. And what ever happened to Dennis Dixon, didn't we sign him? Has he even played in the off preseason?

If Tuel is indeed #2 on the Bills squad, it's because he's moved past Thad who would be better than #31 on this list. So to see Tuel at #31 doesn't seem to make sense.

It's hard to judge Tuel for the some of the same reasons it's hard to judge EJ: rookie with limited reps, no QB coach, first time OC.

This is the stupidist list I have ever seen.

If you never play, you are at the top of the list!

Its the same logic that leads bills to conclude ej coming out of college is a better bet than fitz. Put another way, how many teams given a choice would take a conpletely inexperienced Bridgewater over tuel or lewis? Answer: 32 out of 32

I have no problem with Tuel's ranking. Thad might deserve to be called the #2 and be a few ranks higher, IMO---but so what.

The real problem with this list, IMO, is ranking a guy like Mallett at #8. Based on what? His career 25% completion rating, based on a whopping 4 NFL passes? Or his generally terrible performance in preseason games? What has this guy done at the NFL level? I'll tell you what he's done: Nothing. Seriously I wouldn't rank him any higher than Tuel or Thad.

Another is Derek Anderson at #27? A guy who, let's face it isn't the most accurate QB, has 43 NFL starts to his credit gets ranked this far down the list? I tell you what, If my QB goes down in the middle of a game, I'd rather have Derek Anderson, or any QB with experience, than Ryan freaking Mallett.

The list should be broken into two, IMO. Experienced QBs and Inexperienced QBs. As your #2 QB are you looking for a veteran who can hold down the position? Or are you looking to develop a QB behind your established starter? Those are two very different uses for the backup. Some teams need to develop a QB. Others could use a veteran (I think the Bills are one of those teams). Given the authors stated goal. "The guiding principle is which quarterback we would choose as premium insurance for the 2014 season alone." I'd say he completely screwed the pooch on many of these rankings.

based on what everyone saw vs Cleveland and Kansas City, how can he be ranked any higher. I always felt Thad Lewis was the backup. And what ever happened to Dennis Dixon, didn't we sign him? Has he even played in the off preseason?

Last season, Tuel was a rookie. During the regular season, the one time he was given a significant number of practice reps was going into the Kansas City game. Did Tuel look great against the Chiefs? No. But did he look significantly better than he had against Cleveland? Absolutely! Even just a week's worth of practice reps seem to have helped him considerably.

Last season, Thad Lewis was a fourth year player. You normally expect more improvement from a QB going into his second year (like Tuel) than a guy going into his fifth year (like Lewis). That's why it's credible that Tuel could overtake Lewis.

Last season, Tuel was a rookie. During the regular season, the one time he was given a significant number of practice reps was going into the Kansas City game. Did Tuel look great against the Chiefs? No. But did he look significantly better than he had against Cleveland? Absolutely! Even just a week's worth of practice reps seem to have helped him considerably.

Last season, Thad Lewis was a fourth year player. You normally expect more improvement from a QB going into his second year (like Tuel) than a guy going into his fifth year (like Lewis). That's why it's credible that Tuel could overtake Lewis.

I find it ironic that someone with the moniker "Edwards Arm" is defending Jeff Tuel. No disrespect, just find it funny.

This list just illustrates how terrible backup Qbs in the NFL are. Seriously, that is a pathetic list. It's funny the people who whine about the Bills backup qb depth when you look at that list. Besides potentially the rookie Qbs, how many backup Qbs are coming in and winning a lot of games?

I find it ironic that someone with the moniker "Edwards Arm" is defending Jeff Tuel. No disrespect, just find it funny.

Especially when he would have killed EJ for the KC game.

Tuel somehow lost a game where we had 200 yards rushing and KC didn't score an offensive td (the amazing Alex Smith!). That is flat out terrible.

This list just illustrates how terrible backup Qbs in the NFL are. Seriously, that is a pathetic list. It's funny the people who whine about the Bills backup qb depth when you look at that list. Besides potentially the rookie Qbs, how many backup Qbs are coming in and winning a lot of games?

That's why I've moved off the notion of the vet backup that can come in and "win you a couple games". Other than maybe Vick which vet can win games? Be lucky enough just to get a couple of good quarters. Might as well save the roster spot for developmental player

Got a link to last years list? For giggles, I'd love to see how far down the list they had Matt McGloin (UDFA), Mike Glennon (3rd rounder, up to #3 on their backup list), Nick Foles (2nd year 3rd rounder), and Josh McCowan (career backup).

McCowan and Glennon are competing for the Bucs job this year

McGloin went from UDFA camp fodder to starter With the Raiders drafting Derek Carr and signing Matt Schaub, I would not at all be opposed to bringing him in if the Raiders cut ties

And Foles went from backup to All-Pro in a matter of weeks

Got a link to last years list? For giggles, I'd love to see how far down the list they had Matt McGloin (UDFA), Mike Glennon (3rd rounder, up to #3 on their backup list), Nick Foles (2nd year 3rd rounder), and Josh McCowan (career backup).

McGloin went from UDFA camp fodder to starter With the Raiders drafting Derek Carr and signing Matt Schaub, I would not at all be opposed to bringing him in if the Raiders cut ties

Last year it was done by Marc Sessler, a different guy than this year.

1. Kirk Cousins, Washington Redskins

2. Kyle Orton, Dallas Cowboys

3. Chad Henne, Jacksonville Jaguars (projecting Blaine Gabbert to start in Week 1)

4. Chase Daniel, Kansas City Chiefs

5. Kevin Kolb, Buffalo Bills (projecting EJ Manuel to start in Week 1)

6. Nick Foles, Philadelphia Eagles

7. Matt Moore, Miami Dolphins

8. Matt Hasselbeck, Indianapolis Colts

9. Matt Cassel, Minnesota Vikings

10. Ryan Fitzpatrick, Tennessee Titans

11. Ryan Mallett, New England Patriots

12. Shaun Hill, Detroit Lions

13. Colt McCoy, San Francisco 49ers

14. T.J. Yates, Houston Texans

15. Jason Campbell, Cleveland Browns

16. Tyrod Taylor, Baltimore Ravens

17. Tim Tebow, New England Patriots

18. Drew Stanton, Arizona Cardinals

19. Brady Quinn, Seattle Seahawks

20. Bruce Gradkowski, Pittsburgh Steelers

21. David Carr, New York Giants

22. Dominique Davis, Atlanta Falcons

23. Austin Davis, St. Louis Rams

24. Brock Osweiler, Denver Broncos

25. Terrelle Pryor, Oakland Raiders

26. Josh Johnson, Cincinnati Bengals

27. Josh McCown, Chicago Bears

28. Luke McCown, New Orleans Saints

29. Derek Anderson, Carolina Panthers

30. Charlie Whitehurst, San Diego Chargers

31. Graham Harrell, Green Bay Packers

32. Geno Smith, New York Jets (projecting Mark Sanchez to start in Week 1)

33. Mike Glennon, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

34. Tyler Wilson, Oakland Raiders

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000217112/article/ranking-the-nfls-backup-quarterbacks

Gregg Rosenthal has a growing man crush on Daniel, calling him "the next Kevin Kolb-like creation from Andy Reid." (That's a compliment, right?) Daniel lacks a cannon, but he displayed accuracy and strong pocket presence last preseason. He'll be groomed behind Alex Smith, and possibly take over if Smith crumbles. As for Kolb, he's streaky, brittle and no longer a guy you tie your franchise to. Foles, yet another Reid pupil, showed growth last season and has a chance to start in Philly if Vick stumbles.

Fitzpatrick is a good bet to see the field. Tennessee should have no delusions about his skill set.

3. Chad Henne, Jacksonville Jaguars (projecting Blaine Gabbert to start in Week 1)

At least they weren't totally off on Foles

McCown, not so much

Glennon was in Tuel range and McGloin didn't even merit a shout out on their backup list. And how many did games they start?

Edited by /dev/null

What kills me is Mallet moved UP on that list. WTF is it about Mallet that makes people like him so much?

That's why I've moved off the notion of the vet backup that can come in and "win you a couple games". Other than maybe Vick which vet can win games? Be lucky enough just to get a couple of good quarters. Might as well save the roster spot for developmental player

You typically don't want two development QBs as they need lots of reps to develop. It's fine if you have a vet to start, though. In the Bills case, I think having a development QB is a waste, unless you have completely given up on EJ (which some here clearly have). I'd take Fitzpatrick as a #2 in a heartbeat. That's a perfect role for him. When McKown gets replaced by Glennon (if that finally happens) I'd jump at the opportunity to sign him He played better than Cutler last year.

Edited by The Dean

What kills me is Mallet moved UP on that list. WTF is it about Mallet that makes people like him so much?

You typically don't want two development QBs as they need lots of reps to develop. It's fine if you have a vet to start, though. In the Bills case, I think having a development QB is a waste, unless you have completely given up on EJ (which some here clearly have). I'd take Fitzpatrick as a #2 in a heartbeat. That's a perfect role for him. When McKown gets replaced by Glennon (if that finally happens) I'd jump at the opportunity to sign him He played better than Cutler last year.

Tebow and Mallet were both on that list, too.

I'd hate to see where Lewis would have been or Tuel.