Mcilwain Oenalty

I didn't watch the game, only the highlights here in the islands but....

What are your guys thoughts on the Mcilwain penalty? The announcers agreed it was "unnecessary" but I disagree watching the replay.

Am I just being a homer here?

In my opinion the receiver was approaching the sideline when he was wrapped up, and then Mcilwain slammed him to the ground as he was touching the out of bounds line.

Seems too touchy for me. It's football. These guys are trained to attack.

Any comments after the play? This reminds me if a D line man charging the QB and brushing his helmet resulting in a 15 yard penalty.

Thoughts?

It was a bad call. The players toe was barely out if bounds. But that one happens all the time

Agreed--the type of play where if he let's up---the play stops when they go out of bounds---or, the runner breaks free and makes him look like a chump. It definitely was an eye-catching tackle and would draw the flag most every time.

Won't make the team anyway. But old school: no problem, today's game = 15 yards at a bad time in the game, can't have that.

Never know, I wondered if he did it to get the coaches attention and help make the team. As in "the guy plays with intensity and he's physical, we can teach him to keep it within the rules, but you can't teach that kind of intensity we look for in a player"

I loved the play. Sure its 15 yards but we need to let teams know we will Fk them up physically.

It's a fine line. That attitude lost schwartzs lions teams a lot of games they should've won. Lay wood but play smart, and inside the rules.

Edited by NoSaint