A Rash of Arson Fires in Tonawanda

Chef Jim

The house next to my sisters went up in flames last week...on Elmwood. It was all over the news...though her place suffered no fire damage, it was severely damaged by fire hoses... turns out water may be almost as bad for your house as fire! She sent me a picture over the weekend of her dining room ceiling that just collapsed over night....the BN reported (the morning after the fire) that her house suffered $2500 in damages...not even close!

The house next to my sisters went up in flames last week...on Elmwood. It was all over the news...though her place suffered no fire damage, it was severely damaged by fire hoses... turns out water may be almost as bad for your house as fire! She sent me a picture over the weekend of her dining room ceiling that just collapsed over night....the BN reported (the morning after the fire) that her house suffered $2500 in damages...not even close!

You are right about that. Here in San Diego county, some genius that it would be smart that all new houses have sprinklers installed inside the house. If the fire doesn't get you, the sprinklers will for damn sure. If anything, the sprinklers should be on the outside of the house.

I live on the corner of Elmwood and West Ferry St. Was stuck in my car on the way home from work about 30 yards from the fire. Worst fire I have ever seen. It's amazing that there wasn't even more destruction. It was one of the most surreal things I've experienced to have the heart of Elmwood Village be filled with thick black smoke in broad daylight. Sorry to hear that your sister was lived next door.

You are right about that. Here in San Diego county, some genius that it would be smart that all new houses have sprinklers installed inside the house. If the fire doesn't get you, the sprinklers will for damn sure. If anything, the sprinklers should be on the outside of the house.

Protect the lawn at all costs!

I'll take my chances with damp socks rather than being engulfed in flames, but I guess I'm just flammable.

I live in NT. There was a total of 7 car fires, pretty scary stuff. Thankfully, due to social media and the surveillance video they were able to catch the guy pretty quickly and he admitted to all 7 fires. Shiv the mofo.

I live in NT. There was a total of 7 car fires, pretty scary stuff. Thankfully, due to social media and the surveillance video they were able to catch the guy pretty quickly and he admitted to all 7 fires. Shiv the mofo.

That's great news and yes, shiv the mofo. I'll let my niece take the first jab. Poor kid it's been tough on her but she said they've already received boxes and boxes of clothes and enough furniture to furnish their next apartment. This is when social media really works. That and WNY people rock!!

My niece and her boyfriend are Bandit season ticket holders. I contacted the Bandit FO and they are having a surprise delivery of Bandit and Sabre and one of the Bandit players is going to be there. They'll love it especially my niece.

Protect the lawn at all costs!

I'll take my chances with damp socks rather than being engulfed in flames, but I guess I'm just flammable.

Sprinklers on the roof, douse the house in water, most fires in San Diego county start from wild fires where embers are blowing into your eaves and roof. Its a San Diego thing. Also sprinklers on the inside of your house soak all of the drywall, then mold, you have to gut your whole house and rebuild. Whats the difference? I'll take my chances I can stop the fire on the inside.

Edited by Fan in San Diego