WGRZ Piece on the Sale, Sounds like the Trust wanted a Bidding War

Ronin

Define commit.....what would suffice as a commitment to this trust?

Certainly not a handshake. They will have to have an ironclad commitment with the state with no outs prior to taking over (similar to what's in place now). Otherwise they can't win. Will they do it? Who knows but they are probably priced out of it already anyways.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The number of zeroes don't matter, despite what many would like. The zeroes do not transfer to you.

Of course the community contributed to his wealth. If Wegman's or Duffs were to sell, you don't get a discount. That's the way the world works. At least the Bills didn't follow the Braves. I am thankful to have them in town and hope they stay for a fair market value sale price.

Last I checked Erie County did not build the Wegmans shopping center or the Duffs building. Ralphs building was a bit larger too...

Apparently Kirby thinks/believe JBJ and Toronto would keep the team in Buffalo. What else would explain the request to resubmit a bid?

Kirby believes the eventually owner will keep the team here, not that it will be Bon Jovi. As for the second question, have you even read this thread? The links on this page?

I live, and I learn. The Bills are still in Buffalo. I will continue to hope that remains to be the case, but I'll now back out of this nonsense.

(apparently you didn't comprehend the entire post.)

Edited by Augie

Certainly not a handshake. They will have to have an ironclad commitment with the state with no outs prior to taking over (similar to what's in place now). Otherwise they can't win. Will they do it? Who knows but they are probably priced out of it already anyways.

Understood - of course most secure would be have a local group be the one's signing such an agreement to be double sure it stays.

For Bills fans this is our baby - and selling to anyone other than Pegula equates to dangling our baby over the Falls over a little extra $$$ and yes thats quite irksome especially when a reported local bid of 1.3 billion would seem sufficient

Here's what you're missing, the asset was NOT funded by the community. The right to keep the asset in town was funded by the community. The lease and improvements made to the stadium are all components of the agreement to keep them in town. They do NOT include any ownership rights. Don't be confused by that.

And it makes zero difference whether they are alive or dead. The owner goes from a person to a trust. They don't lose any ownership rights to US because Ralph passed away.

Don't gloss over the little details.

Good question, I have a strong suspicion that he isn't the only viable bidder. Just because there were 3 preliminary bids doesn't mean that there are only 3 bidders left.

If there were 2 better bids, why would they be soliciting more bidders? By extending the deadline they seem to be fearing Pegula knows his 1.3 is way too high, given the quality of the other guys out there.

Edited by Mr. WEO

If there were 2 better bids, why would they be soliciting more bidders? By extending the deadline they seem to be fearing Pegula knows his 1.3 is way too high, given the quality of the other guys out there.

Regardless of the situation, I'd be looking to escalate the bidding. The apparent restrictions to WNY and the NDA may keep some people from getting involved. Why not add some time and hopefully some bidders to push up the price? It's a very exclusive club.

Regardless of the situation, I'd be looking to escalate the bidding. The apparent restrictions to WNY and the NDA may keep some people from getting involved. Why not add some time and hopefully some bidders to push up the price? It's a very exclusive club.

I just said that. It's obvious that the remaining bids are lower than Pegula's, hence they are fishing for higher bids. I doubt they are out there.

Just a warning - someone with your exact same name responded to your post

Sorry, but it seemed you either missed or didn't comprehend the CRITICAL point. And now, I will (hopefully) truly move on.

I just said that. It's obvious that the remaining bids are lower than Pegula's, hence they are fishing for higher bids. I doubt they are out there.

Yes, sorry as I was responding to an earlier post by jahbonas. You and I are on the same page. There may be some confusion elsewhere. I've never taken the first offer on my house, and I've always gotten more. Since the title was in my name, that was better for me. Whether I needed it or not.

There are some big fish still in the pond. Pegula is certainly the favorite but $1.3B is probably the floor at this point. I don't see it going much higher (if at all) but they are going to at least there.

Sorry, but it seemed you either missed or didn't comprehend the CRITICAL point. And now, I will (hopefully) truly move on.

I was lost - and now am found......

Kirby - in the end thank you for all your info on this - I still will not feel secure until its sold to a local like Pegula.

The most secure agreement is one that would never be brought to a court and challenged in any way

I know Pegula is uber-rich and is willing to spend, but every $100M the trust squeezes out of the guy is $100M he doesn't have to spend on the team and the city of Buffalo, after all, even billionaires have a limit. While the trust is completely within their rights to get as much as they can for the team, greed doesn't look good on anyone, including Ralph's heirs. I know, you'll post back and ask "what would I do"; well, I'll tell you. If I'm Mary Wilson, I call Pegs and end this. I accept the $1.3B bid, which is 50% over the stated value and ask him to make it binding. I thank him for his commitment to Buffalo and I end this process with grace and preserve Ralph's legacy. Next, I write a check to Pegula for $200M (an investment back in Buffalo) for the naming rights to the new stadium, when it's built so that it is named "Ralph Wilson Memorial Stadium"; why, because as much as the Wilson's gave WNY, WNY gave them back that much and a whole lot more. Come on Mary, end this !

I was lost - and now am found......

Kirby - in the end thank you for all your info on this - I still will not feel secure until its sold to a local like Pegula.

The most secure agreement is one that would never be brought to a court and challenged in any way

I am with you. If Pegula wins, we all win. However it plays out though I am confident that we won't be losing our team. I happen to like Pegula the most of the names that I have heard like everybody. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Yes the trust has a right to grab the highest bid and the public has a right to their opinion regarding the Wilsons and their estate.

Go take the highest bid worth more money than you will ever be able to spend in a lifetime at the price of what? So that you can lose much of the public opinion towards you and your hubbys memory.

I too hope Pegula wins this. I think this man has it in mind to start to leave his lasting legacy through the saving of Buffalo, buffalo sports teams and in the end drastically helping Western NY! This thread about bidding war is just as frustrating as the process itself. All predictions were for over a billion dollars....the bid is there why continue. I hope Pegula comes through and I hope my feelings on his intentions are accurate and give something back to the people of Buffalo!!!

Go Bills!