fsu qb's lack of success

is it the scheme that fsu runs? there has never been a successful qb from fsu to succeed in the nfl. christian ponder and ej are the only fsu qbs starting now. i remember weinke, ward, mcmanus, weatherford, weldon, rix, kanel, are the only ones i can think of. do scouts take the history or scheme into account when evaluating a prospect? i am not piling on ej, just curious.

well played. how is it a perennial powerhouse such as fsu has yet to produce a quality qb in the nfl?

It's a great question. Same with Florida or Alabama. It seems that a lot of these teams that have the most recruiting power don't chase the best QBs and instead fill out their rosters w/ 5 star recruits.

College QBs in general are a total crap shoot, not only because of schemes, but also because the talent differentials between teams allow for the padding of eye-popping stats that can never be replicated when facing NFL-level competition. Remember that even the U has sent some stinkers to the NFL (Steve Walsh and Geno Toretta come to mind). Stanford sends one good QB to the NFL roughly every generation (Plunkett, Elway, Luck); ND hasn't had an even remotely successful NFL QB since Rick Mirer, which ain't saying much. Meanwhile, one of the most successful QBs every to play professional football couldn't even hold down the starting job at Michigan.

is it the scheme that fsu runs? there has never been a successful qb from fsu to succeed in the nfl. christian ponder and ej are the only fsu qbs starting now. i remember weinke, ward, mcmanus, weatherford, weldon, rix, kanel, are the only ones i can think of. do scouts take the history or scheme into account when evaluating a prospect? i am not piling on ej, just curious.

Everything is taken into account when evaluating a prospect. But the number of QBs who have been "successful" from various schools is skewed by the number who have been successful, overall. Powerhouses like USC, Texas, Florida, Bama, OSU, Oregon, ND - zilch right now doing anything in the NFL. It is primarily the player and how his skill set/measurables/style/mind translate to the NFL and more specifically the system of the team drafting him. Recent SB winners have been from Wisconsin/NC St,, Delaware, Ole Miss, Cal, Miami (OH), Purdue, Tennessee, Michigan. No Heisman trophies or National titles in that group.

Just piling on.... The fact they sent so many to pros would make them very good in some circles. Ej will be good, just don't know if he can be great.

Its the person. EJ is over a year removed and has been around nothing but pros and he STILL Can't read a defense and STILL stares down WR's. Its not the school, its the person

No offense; there's zero evidence to support this theory.

Head over to the EJ thread and look at Wayne's breakdown if you're curious.

Its the person. EJ is over a year removed and has been around nothing but pros and he STILL Can't read a defense and STILL stares down WR's. Its not the school, its the person

He was also hurt for half of a year and lost playing time. So in reality yes, he is a year removed, but he has less than a year of pro experience.

No offense; there's zero evidence to support this theory.

Head over to the EJ thread and look at Wayne's breakdown if you're curious.

Apparently all that means is EJ is a HOF QB and was not meant to shed some light on the situation. People are outrageous on this board when it comes to having to be right all the time.