The official HOF game second half thread

I guess that explains Marrone comments on laying blame for batted passes in the line and not just the QB.

Correct. As the game has changed, and defensive linemen have moved towards getting their hands in the air in passing lanes when initial rush moves are ineffective to defend the pass, part of the offensive line's job has become to "chop down the tree", and make sure that they get the hands of the defensive linemen's down as the ball is thrown.

Eric Wood alluded to that in his post-game interview as well, noting that the batted balls were the fault of the O-Line, with the exception of one, on which the lineman who batted the ball dropped off into coverage.

It did look like a clear overthrow, but perhaps Watkins made a mistake earlier in his route (i.e. getting pinned on the sidelines) that made him late to his spot. Dunno.

Sammy lost the battle down the sideline, and got pinned aginst it, which allowed the defensive back to control him, negating his speed closing on the ball.

The ball was perfectly thrown. That's going to happen sometimes. Sammy is a rookie, and the other guy cashes a paycheck too.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct. As the game has changed, and defensive linemen have moved towards getting their hands in the air in passing lanes when initial rush moves are ineffective to defend the pass, part of the offensive line's job has become to "chop down the tree", and make sure that they get the hands of the defensive linemen's down as the ball is thrown.

Eric Wood alluded to that in his post-game interview as well, noting that the batted balls were the fault of the O-Line, with the exception of one, on which the lineman who batted the ball dropped off into coverage.

Sammy lost the battle down the sideline, and got pinned aginst it, which allowed the defensive back to control him, negating his speed closing on the ball.

The ball was perfectly thrown. That's going to happen sometimes. Sammy is a rookie, and the other guy cashes a paycheck too.

Dropped it in between coverage too. If Sammy gets to it-- and the ball was perfectly thrown in stride-- he's in for six. Didn't see Sammy's route but he didn't look like he was full speed. I've got no problem with EJ on this one. Nice throw.

Rob Quinn@RQUINN619 2m

Mario at the 5tech. #beast https://vine.co/v/M96gUEHWhH6

Rob Quinn@RQUINN619 59s

Mario in covg on blitz. Aaron Williams single high. #ThisAintWanny https://vine.co/v/M96XIKJz6Zj

Rob Quinn@RQUINN619 1m

Kyle Williams/Jerry Hughes gonna be lethal. Stunt executed perfectly https://vine.co/v/M96HxPQFq5m

I don't know...Maybe it's just me...But it just seems...at times...Marrone and Hackett are over-thinkers...If Hogan is running vs 1st team DB's that means Woods, Watkins, or Williams is on the sidelines (it was Woods yesterday...Hogan came in at the slot on the Bills first two 3rd Down plays) unless there are 4 WR's on the field...So...Why?...OK it's preseason...Fine...But Murph has been hyping up Hogan as the starter in the slot for over a week now...So he must be running with the 1's a lot in Camp too...Again...Why?

And every time I see Chris Hogan on the field I'm just not overly impressed...Especially with his short-area quickness...I don't question whatsoever that the guy is a super hard worker...That seems obvious...And I realize you need guys like that on every roster...I'm not trying to say the kid is useless...He legitimately has a chance to make this Roster again...But you have to have serious quicks to be a successful slot WR in the NFL...Hogan is a mini-camp, camp, and practice legend...But beyond that I've yet to see what all the excitement is about...Robert Woods has already proven he can make big plays in NFL games...Why try to get cute? Get Woods in there...No way should Hogan be on the field in lieu of Robert Woods... B-)

I suggest that it was a preseason game; hence, the right time to tinker. I was ondering the same thing... why is Woods playing so late in the game? But, if they really are considering Hogan for the team, why not play him with the first stringers and see how he compares? The biggest knock we always hear is... yeah so and so looked good, but it was against 3rd stringers.

Well, Hogan got his chance against ones. But, to do that, someone has to play against the 2s and 3s. Last night that was Woods. I would expect as the preseason progresses, we'll see that change.