I know who the perfect vet backup QB would be

I don't understand all of this talk about Shane Matthews, John Kitna, Jeff Garcia, Joey Harrington, etc. It's obvious to me who the perfect vet backup would be, and you don't have to look very far to find him. Let's face it, Bledsoe would be the perfect guy. I'll list the reasons:

1) We know he can win a game. Not 11 of them, but 9/16. How many backups you gonna find with his track record?

2) He knows the offense already. Huge advantage, not just if he has to play, but also for helping to mentor JPL.

3) He's a team guy. He's shown that repeatedly. Some here seem to think he'll cause a QB controversy if he stays - not me. I think, if he stays as a backup, he'll accept his role just like he did in NE - he might think he should be starting, but he won't be mouthing off about it in the locker room (Flutie) or to the media (Flutie).

4) He may actually perform better as a backup. I know this is a longshot, but think about it - DB performs poorly under pressure, in big games that he's been dwelling on all week. Perhaps if he has to trot in from the sideline at a moment's notice, he'll forget about the pressure and actually perform. He did it against Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship Game in '01 (I know, I know, he also almost threw a game-losing pick, but still...)

5) We only save a few bucks by cutting him. That money would almost surely be eaten by the cost of signing a vet to replace him, so it's a wash - and I'd rather have Drew then any of the other guys out there.

I for one would love this scenario, and believe it or not, should something happen to JPL, I would be far more excited were Drew to trot out there than anyone else who's out there right now. At least I would know the game ain't over, the D will have to play honest w/ the deep ball possibility, and the offense will run somewhat smoothly.

(actually it's kinda fun to beat a dead horse. try it sometime.)

I don't understand all of this talk about Shane Matthews, John Kitna, Jeff Garcia, Joey Harrington, etc.  It's obvious to me who the perfect vet backup would be, and you don't have to look very far to find him.  Let's face it, Bledsoe would be the perfect guy.  I'll list the reasons:

1)  We know he can win a game.  Not 11 of them, but 9/16.  How many backups you gonna find with his track record?

2)  He knows the offense already.  Huge advantage, not just if he has to play, but also for helping to mentor JPL.

3)  He's a team guy.  He's shown that repeatedly.  Some here seem to think he'll cause a QB controversy if he stays - not me.  I think, if he stays as a backup, he'll accept his role just like he did in NE - he might think he should be starting, but he won't be mouthing off about it in the locker room (Flutie) or to the media (Flutie).

4)  He may actually perform better as a backup.  I know this is a longshot, but think about it - DB performs poorly under pressure, in big games that he's been dwelling on all week.  Perhaps if he has to trot in from the sideline at a moment's notice, he'll forget about the pressure and actually perform.  He did it against Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship Game in '01 (I know, I know, he also almost threw a game-losing pick, but still...)

5)  We only save a few bucks by cutting him.  That money would almost surely be eaten by the cost of signing a vet to replace him, so it's a wash - and I'd rather have Drew then any of the other guys out there.

I for one would love this scenario, and believe it or not, should something happen to JPL, I would be far more excited were Drew to trot out there than anyone else who's out there right now.  At least I would know the game ain't over, the D will have to play honest w/ the deep ball possibility, and the offense will run somewhat smoothly.

(actually it's kinda fun to beat a dead horse.  try it sometime.)

219004[/snapback]

i agree 100%........but, if this is what it comes down to, it's completely up to bledsoe whether he wants to accept the competition or move on.........i wouldn't fault him either way........he's worked his a** off in buffalo and got p*ssed on for the past 3 years -- i can see him walking away for a fresh start.......

i agree 100%........but, if this is what it comes down to, it's completely up to bledsoe whether he wants to accept the competition or move on.........i wouldn't fault him either way........he's worked his a** off in buffalo and got p*ssed on for the past 3 years -- i can see him walking away for a fresh start.......

219008[/snapback]

If you paid me millions and millions of dollars for mediocre performance you could p*ss all over me too. Boo freakin hoo.

he's under contract. If they want, they will keep him even without a pay cut. It would be retarded to cut him just to save money unless it affects our decision making process in resigning jennings and williams and/or bringing in a quality lineman. We dont have a 1st rounder to pay this year, my guess is we stay put with bledsoe even if he doesnt take a pay cut.

I would be happy with Bledsoe as a back-up, but I'm not very sure he would accept a role - I think he really believes he has a lot of game in him still, and there are a few teams that would pick him up (Arizona, Oakland, maybe even Miami or Tampa Bay).