RFID chips being added to NFL shoulder pads

Beerball

Beginning with the NFL's regular season, players will be equipped with tracking technology in their shoulder pads measuring how fast, far and what routes they run in real time.

How far did that player actually run to gain 4 yards? How fast? When, exactly, did he start running out of steam?

The Bears' first game with the technology will be the regular season opener Sept. 7 at home against the Buffalo Bills.

http://www.chicagotr...0731-story.html

So they're doing this yet they still use two guys with poles and a chain to mark/measure first downs?

Ball placement and "setting the line" have got to be the two most inaccurate things in sports. (the article does say that they are working to develop a smaller chip that could be used in a ball)

Why aren't the Bills on this list, I thought we were going to be leaders in Analytics?

If I understood the article correctly every team is using the chips, but only 17 stadiums will have the tracking system installed (for now), and coaches won't have access to the data (only broadcasters) until every stadium is equipped.

Ball placement and "setting the line" have got to be the two most inaccurate things in sports. (the article does say that they are working to develop a smaller chip that could be used in a ball)

People have already been working on the "sticks" problem. But that doesn't help enough unless they can accurately determine where the ball is when a player is down. That's very hard to do and a RFID in the ball won't help because of the NFL rules (where the ball is when the players knee hits the ground for example).

http://www.firstdownlaser.com/

People have already been working on the "sticks" problem. But that doesn't help enough unless they can accurately determine where the ball is when a player is down. That's very hard to do and a RFID in the ball won't help because of the NFL rules (where the ball is when the players knee hits the ground for example).

http://www.firstdownlaser.com/

I'm talking about the linesman going to the sideline, looking across the field and then placing his heel at the OOB stripe. The chain gang then places the first down marker at that point (more or less).

I'm talking about the linesman going to the sideline, looking across the field and then placing his heel at the OOB stripe. The chain gang then places the first down marker at that point (more or less).

There is a lot of "more or less" in football which makes it funny where there is a 4th and one chain length :)

If I understood the article correctly every team is using the chips, but only 17 stadiums will have the tracking system installed (for now), and coaches won't have access to the data (only broadcasters) until every stadium is equipped.

Well it's a REALLY good thing that New England doesn't have a business relationship with CBS wherein CBS benefits from New England succeeding. Wait...they do? ****.