(OT) Think You Can Drink?

stevestojan

I dont believe this.  Something is wrong.  That means that his blood was 91% alcohol.  I cant believe this is possible to achieve, let alone survive from.

218488[/snapback]

Ok, I decided to be nice and just explain...

its .914%

edit: When they say the legal limit is .08, that means .08% or 8/10,000ths of your blood can be alcohol.

Astoundingly, almost 1% of this man's blood was pure alcohol.

(someone check that math) :P

Okay, my bad...sorry.  Still though....amazing.

Sorry for my ignorance!  I am an engineer, you woudl think I would have gotten the .08 percent thing does not equal 8 percent.  DOH

218495[/snapback]

Ummm... what sort of engineer are you? Are you the guy that designed the Tacoma Narrows bridge?

Resonance rocks!

-Hops

BSEE Drexel, '93

Just totally impossible. Just about everyone has been drunk at one time or another so think about the time you were the most hammered you have ever been. You were probably somewhere at 0.2 to 0.35. Legal limit to drive in NY State is now 0.08. It used to be 0.1. At 0.2 most people are wrecked to the point where they can't walk very well. At 0.6 even the biggest of the all-time big drunks would pass out. I would think anything over a 0.8 would absolutley kill someone, even someone who is a major league alcoholic and goes 6 foot 6, 450 lbs. To get to a .91 is just impossible. Nobody alive (or dead) was ever built to tolerate that much booze. Found this handy, dandy chart on the net.

0.03 BAC - Slowed reaction time,

0.04 BAC - Federal prohibited limit for commercial drivers license,

0.05 BAC - Increased risk taking and American Medical Association recommended prohibited limit,

0.08 BAC - Recommended prohibited limit for criminal charges and impaired vision,

0.10 BAC - Poor large muscle control, loss of balance and prohibited limit in most states,

0.17 BAC - National average blood alcohol level of drivers in a fatal crash,

0.19 BAC - National average for first time DUI offender and of persons who have killed police officers,

0.20 BAC - Loss of emotional control,

0.22 BAC - National average for replete DUI offenders at time of arrest,

0.30 BAC - Loss of orientation as to time and place,

0.35 BAC - Blackouts and stupor,

0.50 BAC - Published overdose level leading to death,

0.74 BAC - Highest recorded blood alcohol level by a US hospital.

My uncle was an alcoholic who never was sick until he was about 78. He died at 82 from prostate cancer. Never any liver problems. We used to joke he wasn't sick because his organs were already pickled.