Peter King's MMQB: live from Pittsford

From this morning's MMQB installment:

The Sammy Show

http://mmqb.si.com/2...g-camp-mailbag/

King details 4 plays from yesterday's practice.

" He has surprising power for a player his size, and he’s not afraid to use it, and he’s not intimidated by good veteran corners. I left here liking what I saw out of a player the Bills need desperately to catch the Patriots."

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He also said something along the lines of "the Bills overpaid to get the guy they wanted"

I don't think it's fair to assume that we overpaid for Watkins... I hate that assessment. You can agree with the move, you can disagree with the move, but it's too early to make that call!

He also said something along the lines of "the Bills overpaid to get the guy they wanted"

I don't think it's fair to assume that we overpaid for Watkins... I hate that assessment. You can agree with the move, you can disagree with the move, but it's too early to make that call!

It is too early to know who won the trade. We won't know that until we see where the pick is, and what the Browns do with it. Will they trade it or blow it (history says they will)? But it is OK to think that it was a lot to give up for a WR. Just too early to say it wasn't worth it.

EDIT: I love the trade. IMO, you can't operate out of fear and odds are they would not have taken a QB anyway next year in the 1st. Anything else they need that badly they can get in FA, and I am sure they plan to. Also, they can trade back into the 1st if they want. I am not hung up on the draft pick, because we have a young and talented roster as it is and I still think they plan to give EJ another year. JMO.

Edited by YoloinOhio

It is too early to know who won the trade. We won't know that until we see where the pick is, and what the Browns do with it. Will they trade it or blow it (history says they will)? But it is OK to think that it was a lot to give up for a WR. Just too early to say it wasn't worth it.

I honestly don't think it matters what they do with it... If we tank this year and have a too 5 pick- that would suck.... But if Sammy comes out and shows what he's shown this far... Look out!!!

And keep in mind, some of the best "Dynasties" were built by Drafting their QB in the first year, then getting their WR and RB in the immediate year(s) to follow...Aikman and Irving, Bradshaw and Swann, 90's BILLS, etc...so, EJ remains to be seen and is a big question mark, but getting Sammy this year adds to the developing core, and CJ already here helps some but to me, the most underrated guy the BILLS acquired was Bryce Brown...underrated by national media, not necessarily the devout fans...

Let's not get carried away here. Yes, peter King is a great storyteller, and I enjoy the stories he tells. But he is terrible at real football analysis. When he strays into trying to be an expert, that's when he gets in trouble.

Case in point. This is from an old Peter King article--which I posted on here several years ago:

"If I'm New England Patriots owner Bob Kraft, I have to say no to Bill Belichick now, hire Tom Donahoe to run the football side of business, and get on with my life. Because if I'm Bob Kraft, this is the thought process going through my mind today as the Jets stonewall my compensation offer for Belichick and refuse to budge from their demand of New England's first-round draft choice in April's draft: I am willing to give a man with a coaching record of 37-45 full authority over all my football operations by naming him coach and general manager. I am willing to pay him in excess of $3 million a year. And now I have to throw in my first-round pick? I'm already without my fourth-round pick this year, and I'm sure to lose a couple of valued players like Tedy Bruschi and Shawn Jefferson in free agency. Now I have to throw in the pick that could become Ron Dayne and may solve our dilemma at running back for the next five years? Maybe I wait a couple more days for the Jets to budge. Assuming they don't, I get on with my life."

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/118716-peter-king-cant-stand-him/page__st__20

To be fair there are several posters around here that think he's just another guy that got lucky with Brady. Imagine what Donahoe and Ron Dayne could've done!

And keep in mind, some of the best "Dynasties" were built by Drafting their QB in the first year, then getting their WR and RB in the immediate year(s) to follow...Aikman and Irving, Bradshaw and Swann, 90's BILLS, etc...so, EJ remains to be seen and is a big question mark, but getting Sammy this year adds to the developing core, and CJ already here helps some but to me, the most underrated guy the BILLS acquired was Bryce Brown...underrated by national media, not necessarily the devout fans...

If I remember correctly, Bryce Browns issue was holding on to the ball. Hopefully he's got that issue corrected.

@SI_PeterKing: Good morning. My camp report on the 2014 Buffalo Bills: http://t.co/pjKhDzP6NV

Bills Report: Watkins Wows, But in the End It’s Up to E.J.

Sammy Watkins is shining, Marcell Dareus is missing, and the Bills will go as far as E.J. Manuel takes them. My thoughts after a visit to Bills Camp

Edited by YoloinOhio

Let's not get carried away here. Yes, peter King is a great storyteller, and I enjoy the stories he tells. But he is terrible at real football analysis. When he strays into trying to be an expert, that's when he gets in trouble.

Case in point. This is from an old Peter King article--which I posted on here several years ago:

"If I'm New England Patriots owner Bob Kraft, I have to say no to Bill Belichick now, hire Tom Donahoe to run the football side of business, and get on with my life. Because if I'm Bob Kraft, this is the thought process going through my mind today as the Jets stonewall my compensation offer for Belichick and refuse to budge from their demand of New England's first-round draft choice in April's draft: I am willing to give a man with a coaching record of 37-45 full authority over all my football operations by naming him coach and general manager. I am willing to pay him in excess of $3 million a year. And now I have to throw in my first-round pick? I'm already without my fourth-round pick this year, and I'm sure to lose a couple of valued players like Tedy Bruschi and Shawn Jefferson in free agency. Now I have to throw in the pick that could become Ron Dayne and may solve our dilemma at running back for the next five years? Maybe I wait a couple more days for the Jets to budge. Assuming they don't, I get on with my life."

http://forums.twobil...im/page__st__20

I think King was right. This supports what I've always said about Belichick, and what the numbers support: Right place at the right time. If he left the Patriots and Brady, he would do the same thing that the other four Patriots coordinators did when they left for head coaching NFL jobs: failed.

Mangini, Weiss, McDaniel and Crennel. All considered top notch coaches because Brady made them look better than they were. All l poor coaches without Tom saving their butts (even Crennel was made to look like a defensive guru because he was nearly always playing with a lead and a rested defense).

Look at the Patriots drafts, look at how depleted they looked on offense last year and tell me Bill is good at running football operations. It was a joke, just like the Seymour trade and the failed Welker contract extension and a ton of other blunders they've had.

Do you think it's a coincidence that Bill will retire when Brady does?

That article makes me like Peter King even more.

3 no-brainer statements... I think the Marcel issue will end up NOT being an issue- and I don't think there is any way EJ does not improve on the field this year....

He kind of mailed in that TC assessment and WHY can no one in the media accept that the FS position is not the one up for grabs?!?!

He kind of mailed in that TC assessment and WHY can no one in the media accept that the FS position is not the one up for grabs?!?!

Bc they have very little idea what is going on with this team...

We've given them little to WANT to write about...

All I saw yesterday was Searcy/AW running with the 1's

Keep in mind that the no-brainier statements might not be no brainer to fans if other teams. He writes for a very general audience and can't assume that the people reading will have intimate knowledge of the team the way people on this board will.

Keep in mind that the no-brainier statements might not be no brainer to fans if other teams. He writes for a very general audience and can't assume that the people reading will have intimate knowledge of the team the way people on this board will.

a valid point. hes writing not just for the invested bills fan but the super casual bills fan as well as the packers fan that might be curious about someone on their schedule they pay no attention to otherwise.

itd still be nice to get a some interesting insight for us - but im guessing theres not a ton going on that we havent atleast touched on this offseason