TE discussion - Moeaki/Chandler, Bills wanted Ebron at #9....

I like Chandler. He's tough and fearless or maybe brainless I don't know but I love seeing him catch one long down the hash marks . I don't think he gets enough credit.

Chandler does just enough to convince you that he is worthy of a shot as the #1 TE, and screws up just enough to not be a #1.

I realize that everybody makes mistakes, but you expect your TE to be nothing if not helpful in the clutch. He simply drops the ball too much -- sometimes on easy passes -- and that fumble in TO was deadly. He isn't a classic safety valve TE nor is he a WR in a basketball player's body, nor is he exceptional at blocking.

He might be the SJ of TEs without the drama: a dynamite #2, a subpar #1.

Re-read his statement. He said he's not worried about the money...

You are right and I was mistaken...thank you for aptly, but not in a mean-spirited sense, correcting my statement / question...to dollars 2 donuts, my apologies.

Edited by BigBuff423

This makes me happy that they were thinking about addressing the TE position. Next to Qb, we have neglected TE the most. Every QB, especially a young one, needs a good TE. Personally, I struggle to trust TM because of his injury history. But he certainly is talented. I feel good about a TM/ Chandler TE combo. plus, he's Samoan and they are ballers.

Woods doesn't drop the ball - he just had a lot of inaccurate passes thrown at him.According to espn.com Woods caught 40 of 86 targets and SJ was 52 of 100.

That's stat isn't a good comparison of the players. In the Bills offense last year, the passing plays to TEs were safer plays that should have resulted in a higher catch %.

I think we're saying two versions of the same thing. Think about a guy like Frank Thomas. When he could be obtained for $500K he was a very well-calculated risk. In the eyes of the White Sox his skills had diminished. The As didn't need him to be 1995 Frank Thomas, though. They just needed him to be very good. He was beyond that. He played his way into a very expensive contract for the Blue Jays -- one the As knew he wasn't going to be worth by the end of it. He provided huge ROI for the As.

Bartolo Colon is another recent example. These are really low-risk "risks," in terms of financial outlay, but they do cost roster spots and you have to be willing to give guys a chance.

Yeah, i think you're right. Frank got $3M for his season with the As and Bartolo got $5 over 2 years, the only difference in what we are saying is that in the grand scheme of sports those are basically zero risk deals in my mind, but I see what you are saying and I agree with it.

Not on topic really, but as a huge A's fan I have to correct you a bit here. They do not take calculated risks. Really, the only risk they have taken lately is the signing of Cespedes. They win by not overpaying veterans and often trading them away before they have a chance to demand enormous contracts for a bunch of young prospects. Most notably, young pitching prospects. They basically turnover their pitching staff every 4 years. They then stock their offense with a lot of platoon type players that can play numerous positions as well and set their lineups based off of the opposing pitchers (mostly righty / lefty matchups). For example, while the Yankees are paying Brian McCann $17M per year for 8HRs and a .222 BA this year, the A's are platooning John Jaso (a lefty) 7 HRs and .271 BA and Derek Norris (a righty) 8 HRs and .302 BA for a combined salary of less than $3M. Combined these two make one of the best catchers in the league, if that makes sense. Their system is based almost exclusively on analytics, which by definition is not risk based. After all, the best predictor of future performance is past performance.

Yep. And Cespedes was a good gamble. I'm a Yankees fan, and what they've done the last couple of seasons doesn't add up to a playoff team.

Yep. And Cespedes was a good gamble. I'm a Yankees fan, and what they've done the last couple of seasons doesn't add up to a playoff team.

They need to look at how they built the dynasty in the mid 90s, through the farm and some great value FAs (O'Neil, Tino, Brossus, etc.) You can't buy a dynasty anymore, you actually have to work for it.

They need to look at how they built the dynasty in the mid 90s, through the farm and some great value FAs (O'Neil, Tino, Brossus, etc.) You can't buy a dynasty anymore, you actually have to work for it.

And here's the key to those mid to late 1990s teams: George Steinbrenner was banned from baseball during the preceding years, preventing him from trading the best of their farm system. And lo and behold, they became the core of those teams: Bernie Williams, Jorge Posada, Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera...Bob Watson doesn't get enough credit....since his return, and Cashman despite saying he would do differently, continue to trade players in the farm for has-beens and guys on their way out of the league just for a name or a perceived instant impact player b/c they don't have the patience to let their young guys develop...case in point, Austin Jackson, 5 tool player they traded for Curtis Granderson...Navarro, Cabrera, and countless others that are playing in the Bigs now, that were Yankees on Draft day....that's why I can hardly watch a game anymore, that and Rodriguez just spoiled the whole thing for me for a while, and Clemens....uggh!!

I really like Chandler, so long as he's not slowing down (his running). I know he was recovering, but he really looked like he was lumbering down the field at times last year. If he's any faster this year, and not slowing down due to injury/age (he's turning 29), he's a really good weapon.

For whatever reason, EJ seems very comfortable with him, which is worth a lot.

I really like Chandler, so long as he's not slowing down (his running). I know he was recovering, but he really looked like he was lumbering down the field at times last year. If he's any faster this year, and not slowing down due to injury/age (he's turning 29), he's a really good weapon.

For whatever reason, EJ seems very comfortable with him, which is worth a lot.

Not sure he ever had any juke or jump . But i like Chandler too. He is a Buffalo Bill . He plays every play .

But Tony is the guy Bills FO are wagering a little on. He could become more of a threat than Chandler ..The Scott Chandler who was kinda easy to game plan for last year.

I think the injury was not fully healed and he just toughed it out. I do expect better from him this year . even blocking .

Lots of receiving threats and a running game make everyones life easier on offense.And i mean everyones .

I could see the Bills working towards a developing TEs next year or just , next . But this year should be fun .

Go Bills !