Bills' Final Sale Price contest

The Bills won't go for much more than the Browns. Anyone expecting $1.5+ billion is really out of touch. The Jags went for $770 million in 2012. If someone really wanted to relocate a franchise they had their chance with the Jags.

I think that the world has changed somewhat since then with the NBA prices (not just the Clips). In 2012 teams were selling in the $300-$350m range (New Orleans, Philly) & now Sacramento and Milwaukee are north of $500m.

There are active bidders for the Bills including a very, very wealthy group that hasn't surfaced publicly that will drive the price above a billion for sure. $1.25B has been the number in my head but wouldn't be shocked to see it get to $1.5B. If it got to $2B I would be stunned.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the world has changed somewhat since then with the NBA prices (not just the Clips). In 2012 teams were selling in the $300-$350m range (New Orleans, Philly) & now Sacramento and Milwaukee are north of $500m.

There are active bidders for the Bills including a very, very wealthy group that hasn't surfaced publicly that will drive the price above a billion for sure. $1.25B has been the number in my head but wouldn't be shocked to see it get to $1.5B. If it got to $2B I would be stunned.

I'm coming around to the idea that the final number will be between $1.2B and $1.5B.

I'm going to go with $1.48B by El Pegual.

NBA prices have nothing to do with the NFL. Next.

I think he's speaking more to inflation of a team asset than the specific league-to-league impact of a singular sale.

The problem is that the NBA is seeing such leaps in franchise value for a couple reasons that have nothing to do with the NFL:

- Lucrative local TV deals with no revenue sharing

- An international market much, much larger than the domestic one

There are more people that play basketball in China than there total people in the United States. Basketball is also greatly increasing in popularity in Europe and Australia, with NBA players coming from both.

The problem is that the NBA is seeing such leaps in franchise value for a couple reasons that have nothing to do with the NFL:

- Lucrative local TV deals with no revenue sharing

- An international market much, much larger than the domestic one

There are more people that play basketball in China than there total people in the United States. Basketball is also greatly increasing in popularity in Europe and Australia, with NBA players coming from both.

Agree but you have the new Thursday night package, Sunday Ticket up for bid, expanding digital and international revenues and it is easy to see why NFL value will increase. Maybe not at the insane rate that the NBA grew in a year but it will grow. Anything under $1.1B would be a surprise.

The NBA international presence was already there in 2012 when New Orleans sold for $328m (believe that was the final number). Why dd Milwaukee with lesser revenues sell for $222M more less than 2 years later?

Agree but you have the new Thursday night package, Sunday Ticket up for bid, expanding digital and international revenues and it is easy to see why NFL value will increase. Maybe not at the insane rate that the NBA grew in a year but it will grow. Anything under $1.1B would be a surprise.

The NBA international presence was already there in 2012 when New Orleans sold for $328m (believe that was the final number). Why dd Milwaukee with lesser revenues sell for $222M more less than 2 years later?

Because the NBA is in line for a massive TV deal in 2016. Fox and ESPN are already competing for the rights to broadcast it. Add in the booming international market, the local TV deals, and you have a recipe for soaring NBA franchise values.

NBA teams have a shared nationally televised contract, while all local TV revenue is not shared.

Edited by Fingon

NBA prices have nothing to do with the NFL. Next.

"

I'm not so sure about that. These are highly prestigious "trophy" assets, and very scarce. They don't have to look like a great return on a pure cash flow basis, particularly when there's an expectation they can be sold at increasingly higher prices. Think of them more as famous art pieces which yield nothing on a carry basis, yet still sell at very expensive valuations. So Steve ballmer comes out of no where and pays $2B for clippers, that can trigger a lot of ego-driven buyers for the next major sports francise that becomes available.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I think the winning bid will be Pegula at 1.35 Billion. I do think that Bon Jovi's group will bid 1.5, but knowing that they are a Toronto group Mary Wilson stays with the local guy and gives it to Pegula.

BigPappy.

Because the NBA is in line for a massive TV deal in 2016. Fox and ESPN are already competing for the rights to broadcast it. Add in the booming international market, the local TV deals, and you have a recipe for soaring NBA franchise values.

NBA teams have a shared nationally televised contract, while all local TV revenue is not shared.

I am well aware of the NBA revenue streams. The point was that it wasn't that different in April of 2012 (Pelicans sale) to May of 2013 (Kings sale). The revenues between those two teams are pretty similar but the sale price $200M apart. I am intentionally not using the Clippers and their massive potential TV contract. I am using like situations.

The NFL will not grow at that rate but with the amount of players involved this sales process it will not be cheap. The overall cost to "have a seat at the table" has been inflated by these NBA sales.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

"

I'm not so sure about that. These are highly prestigious "trophy" assets, and very scarce. They don't have to look like a great return on a pure cash flow basis, particularly when there's an expectation they can be sold at increasingly higher prices. Think of them more as famous art pieces which yield nothing on a carry basis, yet still sell at very expensive valuations. So Steve ballmer comes out of no where and pays $2B for clippers, that can trigger a lot of ego-driven buyers for the next major sports francise that becomes available.

That wouldn't have anything to do with the NBA though. If someone wants an NFL team as a trophy they'll pay what it takes regardless of what the Clippers went for. However, Ballmer can offset most of the cost of the Clippers with a TV deal. It's much harder to pay beyond franchise value in the NFL and do that since the vast majority of revenue is shared and fixed.

That wouldn't have anything to do with the NBA though. If someone wants an NFL team as a trophy they'll pay what it takes regardless of what the Clippers went for. However, Ballmer can offset most of the cost of the Clippers with a TV deal. It's much harder to pay beyond franchise value in the NFL and do that since the vast majority of revenue is shared and fixed.

Then what accounts for the wide discrepancy between the cowboys valued at $2.3 billion and, for example, raiders at $825 million?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/23152627/cowboys-patriots-and-redskins-are-nfls-most-valuable-franchises

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Dark Horse:

$1.87 Billion - Steve Ballmer

Why not just move the money over, upgrade the league and considerably outbid any competition. Plus he saves 130,000,000 in the process from the Clips deal.

He's got to put his MSFT money somewhere.

Plus the media will love this because no one knows what the F he will do with the Bills; Endless Speculation.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I think the Rogers or Tannebaum group will bid over $1.5B, my guess is closer to $1.7B -- those groups know that this is their LAST CHANCE in their lifetimes to see a team in Toronto -- in the end, the trust accepts a lower, but still competitive bid from Pegula for $1.5B