Fitzpatrick named Texans Starting QB

i often felt like those were prevalent when it got to be the point in the game where he had to take a shot, even if it wasnt a great one. if compared the first 2 minutes of the game, to the last 2 minutes, id guess when forced to make a throw instead of living to fight another drive is when i saw those "really?!?!" type of throws. which makes sense with his skill set.

Agree with this. Fitz made some "dear god I hope this works" throws a lot when the game was getting out of hand. See, the Pats having 120 rushing yards in the first half. Or, they score on 4 consecutive drives. It was that same slinger mentality that won that miracle comeback against the Raiders.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i often felt like those were prevalent when it got to be the point in the game where he had to take a shot, even if it wasnt a great one. if compared the first 2 minutes of the game, to the last 2 minutes, id guess when forced to make a throw instead of living to fight another drive is when i saw those "really?!?!" type of throws. which makes sense with his skill set.

He didn't need to force anything vs. Tennessee.

He didn't need to force anything vs. Tennessee.

I can dredge up a bad throw Peyton Manning had too.

Do you remember how our defense played that entire game? Fitz was the reason we were even in it.

Edited by FireChan

Do you remember how our defense played that entire game? Fitz was the reason we were even in it.

Yep...which made the INT, in that situation, even more egregious.

By the way, when you call up those Manning miscues, don't forget to call up the high winning % and the Superbowl ring.

Ahhhh...I miss the good ol' days where Fitz and his season ceiling of 6 wins unbelievably garnered a ton of support on this board.

Edited by Bronc24

Yep...which made the INT, in that situation, even more egregious.

By the way, when you call up those Manning miscues, don't forget to call up the high winning % and the Superbowl ring.

Ahhhh...I miss the good ol' days where Fitz and his season ceiling of 6 wins unbelievably garnered a ton of support on this board.

Well, until this roster "loaded with talent" and "the only question mark is QB" goes past 6 wins, I wouldn't act so disparaging.

EDIT: You weren't the one acting disparaging. My bad.

Edited by FireChan

"Hopeful" where are you?

I think this thread IS of interest. All the people that claimed that Fitz was good enough, and that the Bills should have built around him (provided him with a good OL, better receivers, a good defense) will have their chance to EAT THEIR WORDS as he fails.

Yes, there are still some here that feel he was competent enough...guys that pipe up to defend him...and now they will get their wish.

I like Fitz as a person, but don't believe he will ever lead a team to a Super Bowl.

1) I doubt it (that we'll have the opportunity to see Fitz in a starting role with the Texans). The strategy the Texans took with Schaub was to build awesome defense and a "run first" offense. I think there's no question a QB like Fitz would do better in such a regime, but the fact that the Texans tried to move away from that with Schaub and got rid of him rather than move back to the "run 1st", says to me that they've decided it's good enough to get you into the playoffs, but not good enough to get you all the way.

2) I don't recall anyone whining about the Bills getting rid of Fitz because he was "good enough" to build around as a starter. After 3 years, he had his chance and regressed rather than impressed. Some of us thought it was not the best move to dump Fitz as a backup/mentor in favor of Kolb and TJax. I still think that, actually, just as I think it was dumb to dump tough as nails TJax in favor of "German Word for Made Of Glass" Kolb. I think they wanted to keep Fitz, but tried to low ball him too hard on the contract renegotiation offer with nothing guaranteed and they wound up paying more for less in the backup situation as a result (plus taking the cap hit)

But that's just me.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Well, until this roster "loaded with talent" and "the only question mark is QB" goes past 6 wins, I wouldn't act so disparaging.

I have hope we can exceed 6 wins and perhaps secure a playoff berth. I stated numerous times we would never do so with Fitz as QB. He has yet to prove me wrong.

I think he wanted to start and he wanted to win. not in the cards while in Buffalo .

Things change .

As no saint alluded to , he could manage a game. And i thought very nicely too. ( thanks Chan Gailey wherever you are with your tomatoes and nice wife )

But the team was not a whole team then , and he was not able to put them on his shoulders and carry it .

and thats about it .

I think he wanted to start and he wanted to win. not in the cards while in Buffalo .

Things change .

As no saint alluded to , he could manage a game. And i thought very nicely too. ( thanks Chan Gailey wherever you are with your tomatoes and nice wife )

But the team was not a whole team then , and he was not able to put them on his shoulders and carry it .

and thats about it .

Not in the Cards in St. Louis, Cincinnati, Buffalo, Tennessee, or Houston. Whew....I'm out of breath. :lol:

Things change .

and thats about it .

It goes deeper than that. He could manage SOME games. But he crumbled in the clutch, even when protecting a lead. Can't do that. He will never MANAGE a team to more than a single playoff win (if he is very lucky).

It goes deeper than that. He could manage SOME games. But he crumbled in the clutch, even when protecting a lead. Can't do that. He will never MANAGE a team to more than a single playoff win (if he is very lucky).

I won't disagree that his ceiling is likely right around there. I will say that's MUCH higher than many in this thread portray though. If all are healthy and they don't have terrible luck he's probably right around .500 which is a low end playoff contender. Not great, but not "omg worst ever" either.

I won't disagree that his ceiling is likely right around there. I will say that's MUCH higher than many in this thread portray though. If all are healthy and they don't have terrible luck he's probably right around .500 which is a low end playoff contender. Not great, but not "omg worst ever" either.

Yeah, I really like Fitz as guy, and teammate. He is an excellent choice for a backup.

Coaching the game towards the player can be succesful i think

asking him for too much or to play above his abilities, or even giving the QB too much freedom can lose a game. I do realize Fitz is and was limited. Obviously .

My point was not that he would or could take the Titans or who ever to the playoffs.

It is that i wish him well. He played hard for the Buffalo Bills . And so i will have a spot for him in my heart.

Go Ryan Fitzmagic !

Edited by 3rdand12

If I know any thing about Fitz, they will finish 6-10. A bad team but they just won't be able to get that number one pick.

Once upon a time I described him as a guy that could turn a 2 win roster into 4 wins but a 12 win team into 9.... Just kind of steady in that pocket where he wont let the wheels come off when it's ugly but he'd be the limiting factor on a really good team.

His win percentage is pretty close in line with matt stafford or Sam Bradford even - guys you wouldn't pick to lead your team but wouldn't be your last pick in the nfl either.

Edited by NoSaint

His win percentage is pretty close in line with matt stafford or Sam Bradford even - guys you wouldn't pick to lead your team but wouldn't be your last pick in the nfl either.

There was article posted on here a few years ago that did a comparison of fitz and cutler. Their stats were almost identical.

Once upon a time I described him as a guy that could turn a 2 win roster into 4 wins but a 12 win team into 9.... Just kind of steady in that pocket where he wont let the wheels come off when it's ugly but he'd be the limiting factor on a really good team.

Yeah, he makes a few nice plays every game, but goes through long stretches where he does nothing, usually is down a score with 5 minutes left, gets the ball back and throws an INT. Happened a few times last year, including a game I was watching I believe against KC where he got 2 cracks at it cause they forced a 3 and out after the first INT only to see him throw another INT on the first play after he got the ball back that was absolutely horrendous

Edited by matter2003