Which NFL team has the worst QB situation going into 2014?

Which team has the worst QB situation?  

252 members have voted

1. 1. Which team has the worst QB situation?

• NY Jets (Vick/Geno)
    • Bills (EJ/Thad)
    • Cleveland (Johnny/Hoyer)
    • Tennessee (Locker/Whitehurst/Mettenberger)
    • Houston (Fitz/Keenum/Yates/Savage)
    • Jax (Bortles/Henne)
    • Raiders (Schaub/Carr)
    • Minnesota (Bridgewater/Ponder/Cassell)
    • TB (Glennon/McCown)
    • St. Louis (Bradford/Shaun Hill/Garrett Gilbert)

Those weren't entirely my words... Still I want to get carried away by this years draft. It might be the first time in more then a decade that more then one player drafted after the second round becomes a starter and makes an impact.

" Seantrel Henderson, T, 6-7, 331, Miami...Was touted as a first-round talent, Henderson is a big man, but he moves like a linebacker, likely due to his basketball background as he had Division I scholarship offers to play basketball. He often dominated games with 58 knockdown blocks and 10 touchdown blocks. - A similarly jaw-dropping combination of size and power as San Diego Chargers 2013 first round pick D.J. Fluker." he could be the steal of draft.''

http://www.cbssports...ntrel-henderson

Lets face it that many of the fans here really like what Whaley did in the draft this year. Second rounder Cyrus Kouandjio had medical issues that scared away other teams. Which is exactly what happened with Thurman Thomas back in the day. With only 16% body fat, and 35 5/8 inch arms he was pegging to go to the Dolphins with the 18th pick. His Alabama coaches went on to say that he could be better then Fluker in the pros.

COMPARES TO: D.J. Fluker, San Diego Chargers - Like his former teammate, Kouandjio offers the physical skill-set to make scouts drool.

http://www.cbssports...cyrus-kouandjio

Cyril Richardson was projected to be drafted in rounds 3-4, and could become a solid starter if he can get his weight problem under control. Road grader with a nasty temperament is a good way to describe Mr Richardson.

About Da'Rick Rodgers and that 50+ page thread that is buried somewhere in here. I think Marrone fired his WR coach specifically for his appraisal of Rodgers, and he would still be a Buffalo Bill if not for that coach.

Anyway, I did say that there are some big "ifs" in my thinking of this years O line to become elite. The Bills did draft some real road graders for that line, and if nothing else that run game shouldn't be stopped on third and short.

The team obviously preferred to keep Jeff Tuel over a vet, and exactly how many games did that win them last year? I know it lost them the Cleveland game, and probably the KC game. You know of any other teams that would keep three rookie QB's on the roster, and now three 2nd year QB's? It does greatly help young QB's to have an NFL experienced vet QB on the roster whether you care to believe it or not.

The Bills have added extra offensive coaches this year QB coach, senior offensive assistant, and even an assistant special teams coach.

Good post; and well thought-out. I hope your optimism about the Bills' offensive line picks turns out to be justified. :thumbsup:

However, I do have one relatively minor quibble. Thad Lewis came into the league in 2010, with the St. Louis Rams. He spent 2011 and 2012 with the Browns; then moved to the Bills for the 2013 season. His first playing time in the regular season didn't occur until 2012; when he attempted 32 passes for the Browns.

> The team obviously preferred to keep Jeff Tuel over a vet . . .

I'm not a huge fan of the front office myself, and a certain number of their decisions have been head-scratchers. (Such as signing that OG from the Rams for pretty decent starter money.) But in fairness to the front office, they did sign Kolb. By the time they learned that concussion issues would put him on injured reserve, the market for veteran QBs was rather thin.

You also have to be a little careful about which veteran QB you sign to be your player-coach. Suppose, for example, that the Bills had signed Trent Edwards to fill the role Kolb was supposed to fill. Suppose Edwards took Manuel aside and started giving him advice. (Which is what you want your veteran QB to do.) Do you really want Trent Edwards telling your rookie QB when to go for the intermediate or deep pass; and when to dump the ball off short?

Once Kolb went on IR, it would have been very difficult to find a veteran QB who was that much better than Trent Edwards. The available QBs were available for a reason. The Bills eventually filled Kolb's void by signing Thad Lewis. Lewis might actually have been the best option available--not just from the standpoint of knowing the Bills' playbook; but as a long-term QB prospect.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that Fitz seems to be garnering the most votes.

Jax gets my vote. Then Minnesota, and Cleveland. Then, I would have to say us.

I'm just curious why Schaub/Carr with the Raiders seem to be getting a pass?

I'm also curious about what's meant by "worst"? Is it worst if the team is mediocre with a mediocre record or worst if they outright tank?

I'm just curious why Schaub/Carr with the Raiders seem to be getting a pass?

I'm also curious about what's meant by "worst"? Is it worst if the team is mediocre with a mediocre record or worst if they outright tank?

Matt Schaub had a horrible 2013 season. His QBR was an abysmal 37.3. But in 2012, his QBR was 64.0--good for 12th best in the NFL. He's 32 years old. There's a solid chance he'll bounce back from his horrendous 2013 season.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

Matt Schaub had a horrible 2013 season. His QBR was an abysmal 37.3. But in 2012, his QBR was 64.0--good for 12th best in the NFL. He's 32 years old. There's a solid chance he'll bounce back from his horrendous 2013 season.

A la Kurt Warner.

Don't get me wrong, as some know I've always been a Schaub fan and have felt that he's a legitimate top-10 QB by many metrics (playoff wins excepted).

But the fact is, he DID have an abysmal season in 2013, and while I'd like to see him bounce back, it's not at all clear

1) why he had an abysmal season in 2013

2) what he needs to bounce back

3) whether the Raiders can supply it - Schaub had thrived behind one of the league's few remaining run-first offenses

Meanwhile, their current #2 QB is a 2nd round rookie.

Again, I liked Schaub in the past and wish him well, but objectively, the Raiders QB situation looks potentially tenuous - arguably more so than Tennessee or the Jets.

A la Kurt Warner.

After the horror of 2002, it arguably took Warner 3 - 5 years and 2 new teams to return "to form" (depending upon how you define this)

The fact we ALL are honestly debating whether we have the WORST, 2nd from worst or even 9th from worst QB situation in the NFL is a travesty!!! ---- we need to have that position in the top 16 to have ANY chance of making it to the playoffs --- just look at last year's playoff teams and their QB's --- NE (Brady), Balt (Flacco), Indy (Luck), KC (A Smith), Den (peyton), Cincy (Dalton), Sea (R Wilson), Car (Newton, NO (Brees), Philly (Foles), GB (Rodgers), SF (Kaepernick)!!! -- all those teams had QB's that are considered in the TOP HALF of the NFL !! --- we are debating which portion of the bottom 1/4 our guys are in, that's ridiculous -- PLAYOFFS ? --- come on -- it's travesty that this position wasn't upgraded in the off-season --- yet, polls on Buffalo Rumblings have Brandon and Whaley both over 80% fan approval, I don't get it

Aside. I am trying to wrap my mind around ESPN total QBR since I'm told it's the "real deal". So I go to the ESPN 2013 all division QBR site and who's #1? Josh McCown. Any rating system that puts Josh McCown above Peyton Manning, and Jay Cutler above Andrew Luck, Tom Brady, and Russell Wilson is a rating system to be treated with caution IMHO.

Back to your post:

Please recognize that to a certain extent, QB are evaluated by the success of their team. There were a lot of questions published about Rivers and about Flacco, before Flacco won the Superbowl and went cha-ching. Even last year, Flacco faced a lot of criticism. He threw 22 INTs to 19 TD - never a good thing - and had a 59% completion percentage - also never a good thing. Dalton has done very well IMHO but before last year, you could find a lot of stuff on how the Bengals didn't have faith in him as their long term QB solution and regarded him as "limited". There's a list floating around the Interweb that has Alex Smith listed as one of the top 10 QB busts of all time! No jive! Ahead of JaBustus Russell fercripesake!

My point is that football as we all know is a team game, and that QB who are considered in the top half of the NFL generally have pretty good teams around them and pretty good coaching, and before the point where they had these things (or had time to develop) the hometown viewpoint on them was often quite different.

Good post; and well thought-out. I hope your optimism about the Bills' offensive line picks turns out to be justified. :thumbsup:

However, I do have one relatively minor quibble. Thad Lewis came into the league in 2010, with the St. Louis Rams. He spent 2011 and 2012 with the Browns; then moved to the Bills for the 2013 season. His first playing time in the regular season didn't occur until 2012; when he attempted 32 passes for the Browns.

> The team obviously preferred to keep Jeff Tuel over a vet . . .

I'm not a huge fan of the front office myself, and a certain number of their decisions have been head-scratchers. (Such as signing that OG from the Rams for pretty decent starter money.) But in fairness to the front office, they did sign Kolb. By the time they learned that concussion issues would put him on injured reserve, the market for veteran QBs was rather thin.

You also have to be a little careful about which veteran QB you sign to be your player-coach. Suppose, for example, that the Bills had signed Trent Edwards to fill the role Kolb was supposed to fill. Suppose Edwards took Manuel aside and started giving him advice. (Which is what you want your veteran QB to do.) Do you really want Trent Edwards telling your rookie QB when to go for the intermediate or deep pass; and when to dump the ball off short?

Once Kolb went on IR, it would have been very difficult to find a veteran QB who was that much better than Trent Edwards. The available QBs were available for a reason. The Bills eventually filled Kolb's void by signing Thad Lewis. Lewis might actually have been the best option available--not just from the standpoint of knowing the Bills' playbook; but as a long-term QB prospect.

Thanks, and I also hope those picks make an impact.

As far as the backup QB situation last year, the Bills had signed Matt Flynn and kept him for awhile and then preferred Jeff Tuel over him for some unknown reason. Flynn was signed as a backup to Tuel because EJ, and Thad were both injured. Signed Oct 14th, released Nov 4th. Perhaps Flynn wasn't picking up the offense quickly enough or something to that effect. All I know is Flynn went on to win some games for the Packers. Signed by the Pack Nov 12th, and played in his first game Nov 24th against the Vikings when they had their third stringer QB starting. Flynn came in during the 3rd QTR, and rallied the team from a 23-7 deficit ending that game in a tie. Flynn beat the Cowboys, Falcons, and went 2-3.

While Flynn was signed too late to help with that Cleveland game, he could have helped win that Chiefs game. Hackett was calling a brilliant game all the way up until that 3rd and goal from the Chiefs one yard line. The Bills were dominating that #1 Chiefs defense with 35 rushes for 240 yards. I suppose I'll never see what this coaching staff sees in Jeff Tuel, and the reason they kept him off the practice squad. Perhaps because the Patriots brought him in for a pre draft workout? Flynn also won a 2007 BCS National championship while at LSU, and has been a Packer, Seahawk and I wouldn't mind him as a backup over Tuel, and talking over plays with EJ.

Shifting gears again in regards to Matt Schaub. Sometimes QB's play with injuries that really hamper their ability to do their jobs, and yet don't want to pull themselves for being thought of as a pansy or simply don't think their injuries as severe enough to bench themselves. The entire reason Kurt Warner was so ineffective his last years as St Louis was because of a hand injury that never healed. Once away from starting and given a chance to fully recover the rest is another super bowl visit.

Then again the Texans did change their offensive philosophy somewhat in 2013 in throwing more often, and it didn't help that both RB's Arian Foster- Ben Tate were both injured.

Which players after the first two picks do you believe will be starters this year? I don't see any. That is not to say that they weren't good picks at the point they were drafted.

As I stated in the prior post Henderson was off the draft boards for many teams. He was a seventh round selection by the Bills. This multiple drug suspended college player tested positive for drugs at the combine. In the last OTAs this seventh round player missed the first day of this OTAs session because of travel complications.

If Henderson makes the practice squad I will be very happy. If Henderson makes the roster I will be pleasantly surprised. With respect to Da'Rick Rogers (an undrafted free agent) he got cut because he was simply beaten out by other fringe receivers.

In regards to the question. I like both #5 Richardson who was a finalist for the outland trophy. Which is for the best linemen in the country with 83 knock down blocks. At 6'5'' 343, good lord what a beast. The only reason he fell to the fifth round were weight / discipline issues. I see better talent with some developing then any current OG the bills have. #7 Henderson like I stated earlier could have been a first round pick if not for his drug problems. Would it surprise you to learn that Sammy Watkins was also suspended in 2012 by his team for testing positive....once. Henderson tested positive three times is the difference. Well that, and the smarts to know enough to put down the doobie long enough to get thru the season.

The Bills have taken some chances on players under Whaley that they wouldn't normally have done in the past. Watkins has already cleaned up his act. The Bills took a chance on Kiko, and did it again with WR Mike Williams.

I see both Richardson and Henderson making some sort of impact, and although I don't see them both starting. However, I do see them making the final team because they both have some great raw talent. Plus, I really doubt if Henderson shows anything at all that he will ever see the PS. Marrone has stated Henderson has one chance, and I believe him.

EDIT: "Last week, Henderson stepped into the first team at left tackle with several injuries keeping regular starters out. There is talk that he impressed the coaching staff and could be in the mix for a roster spot and also for a starting job."

http://sports.yahoo....-222517510.html

Edited by FeartheLosing

Aside. I am trying to wrap my mind around ESPN total QBR since I'm told it's the "real deal". So I go to the ESPN 2013 all division QBR site and who's #1? Josh McCown. Any rating system that puts Josh McCown above Peyton Manning, and Jay Cutler above Andrew Luck, Tom Brady, and Russell Wilson is a rating system to be treated with caution IMHO.

Back to your post:

Please recognize that to a certain extent, QB are evaluated by the success of their team. There were a lot of questions published about Rivers and about Flacco, before Flacco won the Superbowl and went cha-ching. Even last year, Flacco faced a lot of criticism. He threw 22 INTs to 19 TD - never a good thing - and had a 59% completion percentage - also never a good thing. Dalton has done very well IMHO but before last year, you could find a lot of stuff on how the Bengals didn't have faith in him as their long term QB solution and regarded him as "limited". There's a list floating around the Interweb that has Alex Smith listed as one of the top 10 QB busts of all time! No jive! Ahead of JaBustus Russell fercripesake!

My point is that football as we all know is a team game, and that QB who are considered in the top half of the NFL generally have pretty good teams around them and pretty good coaching, and before the point where they had these things (or had time to develop) the hometown viewpoint on them was often quite different.

Well McKown threw 13 TD to only 1 INT. what was even more impressive was Nick Foles at 27 TD to only 2 INT.

I agree it is a lot easier to have a good QBR when you have a good team around you. I believe as it's June

Back to your post:

> So I go to the ESPN 2013 all division QBR site and who's #1? Josh McCown.

Very early in his career, Byrd often achieved two interceptions per game. Lots of times, the guy with the most INTs for your team for the year will have maybe 6 or 7. But had Byrd sustained that pace over the course of the season, he would have had a record-breaking 32 INTs for the year. Over a 10 year career; that would have added up to 320 INTs. That's six times as many career interceptions as Deion Sanders! (Who had 53.)

Jairus Byrd is a good, solid football player. But he isn't six times better than Deion Sanders. Sometimes, when a player appears in only a few games, his stats make him look better than he really is. In 2013, McCown attempted only 1/3 as many passes as Peyton Manning. So you're looking at a small sample size. I'm sure that with a larger sample, his QBR would decline. Just as his ridiculously good 13:1 TD/INT ratio would also decline.

> Please recognize that to a certain extent, QB are evaluated by the success of their team.

There's truth to this. Steve Young was considered a disappointment in Tampa Bay; which is why the 49ers were able to acquire him for a 2nd round pick. A QB is part of a machine. He looks better than he should when the other parts are good; and worse than he should when the other parts are faulty.

> But the fact is, [schaub] DID have an abysmal season in 2013, and while I'd like to see him bounce back . . .

I don't know why he had the lousy season either. If it was something physical, maybe he'll heal. If it was something mental, maybe he'll get his head on straight this year. Either way, there's a chance he'll bounce back and produce good play. Some of these other teams have nothing at quarterback--no real chance to get good QB play. Even if there's only a 20% chance of Schaub bouncing back, that's still 20 percentage points more than some other teams have.

Shaub is going through what CC sabbathia is going thru. He lost his fastball.

Now it's all fitzlike ducks that get picked instead of first downs.

It could be an injury to his arm that needs to heal, or more then likely his injured ankle which didn't get a chance to fully heal. If a QB can't step up or plant his foot to throw a pass he is basically screwed. Last year Schaub threw more pick sixes then he has in his entire career. Injuries to the receiving corps, defense, RB's all contributed to a horrid season for the Texans. It wasn't just Schaub either as no Texan QB would play well, Case Keenum went 0-8.

I really gotta wonder if the 4-12 Raiders is the place to resurrect his career. HC Dennis Allen was a DC for only one year before being hired away from division rival Denver. I think the Raiders will be shopping for another new HC after this season.

As for the worst QB situation, I'm still saying the Jags are throwing rookie Blake Bortles to the proverbial wolves. The Jags had the 32nd team in points, and 31st team in yards on offense last season, AND their bowling ball of a RB MJD is now a Raider. No star RB, and backup QB's are Blaine Gabbert, Chad Henne. :sick:

It could be an injury to his arm that needs to heal, or more then likely his injured ankle which didn't get a chance to fully heal. If a QB can't step up or plant his foot to throw a pass he is basically screwed. Last year Schaub threw more pick sixes then he has in his entire career. Injuries to the receiving corps, defense, RB's all contributed to a horrid season for the Texans. It wasn't just Schaub either as no Texan QB would play well, Case Keenum went 0-8.

I really gotta wonder if the 4-12 Raiders is the place to resurrect his career. HC Dennis Allen was a DC for only one year before being hired away from division rival Denver. I think the Raiders will be shopping for another new HC after this season.

As for the worst QB situation, I'm still saying the Jags are throwing rookie Blake Bortles to the proverbial wolves. The Jags had the 32nd team in points, and 31st team in yards on offense last season, AND their bowling ball of a RB MJD is now a Raider. No star RB, and backup QB's are Blaine Gabbert, Chad Henne. :sick:

Jags have publically said the plan is to redshirt Bortles and Henne will be the starter. Gabbert was traded to the Niners and is now Kaepernick's backup.

Jags have publically said the plan is to redshirt Bortles and Henne will be the starter. Gabbert was traded to the Niners and is now Kaepernick's backup.

I must have missed that trade with Gabbert to SF, dunno what they are thinking.

Still, Chad Henne as the starter with virtually no real running game. Toby Gerhart...really? The third string QB is Ricki Stanzi who has 4 years exp, and no NFL stats. So Henne stubs his toe, who will get the nod then?

Yeah, still the Jags IMO.

Thanks, and I also hope those picks make an impact.

As far as the backup QB situation last year, the Bills had signed Matt Flynn and kept him for awhile and then preferred Jeff Tuel over him for some unknown reason. Flynn was signed as a backup to Tuel because EJ, and Thad were both injured. Signed Oct 14th, released Nov 4th. Perhaps Flynn wasn't picking up the offense quickly enough or something to that effect. All I know is Flynn went on to win some games for the Packers. Signed by the Pack Nov 12th, and played in his first game Nov 24th against the Vikings when they had their third stringer QB starting. Flynn came in during the 3rd QTR, and rallied the team from a 23-7 deficit ending that game in a tie. Flynn beat the Cowboys, Falcons, and went 2-3.

While Flynn was signed too late to help with that Cleveland game, he could have helped win that Chiefs game. Hackett was calling a brilliant game all the way up until that 3rd and goal from the Chiefs one yard line. The Bills were dominating that #1 Chiefs defense with 35 rushes for 240 yards. I suppose I'll never see what this coaching staff sees in Jeff Tuel, and the reason they kept him off the practice squad. Perhaps because the Patriots brought him in for a pre draft workout? Flynn also won a 2007 BCS National championship while at LSU, and has been a Packer, Seahawk and I wouldn't mind him as a backup over Tuel, and talking over plays with EJ.

Shifting gears again in regards to Matt Schaub. Sometimes QB's play with injuries that really hamper their ability to do their jobs, and yet don't want to pull themselves for being thought of as a pansy or simply don't think their injuries as severe enough to bench themselves. The entire reason Kurt Warner was so ineffective his last years as St Louis was because of a hand injury that never healed. Once away from starting and given a chance to fully recover the rest is another super bowl visit.

Then again the Texans did change their offensive philosophy somewhat in 2013 in throwing more often, and it didn't help that both RB's Arian Foster- Ben Tate were both injured.

> As far as the backup QB situation last year, the Bills had signed Matt Flynn and kept him for awhile and then preferred Jeff Tuel over him for some unknown reason.

A lot of teams want their backup QB to be a seasoned veteran. A steady hand at the helm if the starter goes down. But they want their 3rd string QB to be a developmental guy. An unknown who might turn out to be something special. By this point in his career, Flynn is more or less a known quantity. Tuel was unknown.

Most of the time, a team's developmental 3rd string QB will never amount to anything. But on rare occasions, he'll turn out to be a Kurt Warner or a Tom Brady.

Now that the Bills have gotten a good look at Tuel, it might be time to part ways with him and put the next developmental QB on the roster. (At least assuming they identify a somewhat promising replacement.)

> Shifting gears again in regards to Matt Schaub. Sometimes QB's play with injuries that really hamper their ability to do their jobs, and yet don't want to pull themselves

I agree with this; and with your Kurt Warner example. I also remember times when Kelly would play despite being injured, even though his injuries significantly impacted the quality of his play. For example, one time a DB intercepted Kelly, and was in the process of returning the INT for what would have been a touchdown. Kelly tackled the DB so hard it broke the guy's leg. Unfortunately, Kelly's throwing shoulder was also injured on the play, and he wasn't the same quarterback for at least a good 5 - 6 games after that.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

Ranking 32 NFL QBs by tier

We had 26 anonymous league insiders grade every NFL starting QB

27. EJ Manuel, Buffalo Bills (4.24 average rating)

Manuel hasn't played enough to register with evaluators. Twenty-three voters placed him in the bottom two tiers. The two former GMs were higher on Manuel, placing him in the third tier. "I think he can beat you from the pocket and be an NFL passer and some of that is having studied him before the draft," one ex-GM said. "I still have some belief in him. EJ has some intangibles. He can process information that the Geno Smiths and Jake Lockers of the world cannot process well enough to be good from the pocket."

A defensive coordinator whose team faced the Bills last season questioned Buffalo's approach. "They tried to run some Cam Newton stuff with him, but I think he is a pocket passer," the coordinator said. "What are they doing with him? He may be a three-minus, but I would give him a four right now."

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11156302/nfl-anonymous-league-insiders-rank-32-starting-quarterbacks-tiers

A few days ago, I was in a waiting room. I came across an old issue of Sports Illustrated, so I began reading an article about Kuechley. The article really made me wish he was a Bill. :( But at least when the article was written--November 2013--the Panthers had the second-best defense in the NFL. I think that defensive improvement goes a long way toward explaining why the Panthers as a team did so much better in Cam Newton's third year than in his first.

When considering a "QB situation" I think you have to consider both the short term and long term prospects that any team's QB roster presents. Houston is a popular choice but I think Fitz is fine in the role some call a "bridge to the future" QB. I would call Fitz a good "template" QB--a guy that can make all the surrounding parts of the offense function enough to allow the coaching staff to properly evaluate them in the new offense that they are installing. Their long term answer at QB probably comes next year.

I think the Jets Smith/Vick combo has the least short/long term upside of all those listed. Both can only be relied upon to produce turnovers and I think the Jets won't be able to sustain any offense with either guy, this year or any year.