Did the baby boomers fail us???

Yeah, your probably right, we hippies and freaks of the 60s and 70s have failed you miserably.....

We often parked over the hills of Colden, to look down at night as slag was poured into Lake Erie from the mills, but walked away from those mills, for a life in other industries, some you might enjoy today...

We watched the dozers pile "winter kill" along the beaches to burn it off, before we could think about swimming in the lake....

We drove REAL muscle cars that heck, my own 68 Firebird got 3 miles city, and 13 hwy when it was running well, but went on to develop thing slike fuel injection and catalytic convertors....

We used brown paper bags for book covers, before recycling was "cool"

We hated our parents for making us learn how to garden, hunt, and fish.

We were undisciplined, often staying out until it was dark!

We used the words, "Yes sir, No sir" and "Yes Mam, No Mam" even when it wasn't required as a show of respect!

We ALL carried pocket knives, but only used them to whittle or open a beer that the tab broke on.... (gasp!!!!)

We all hit the bars before we were legal, 18 at that time, and if we had too much, hitched a ride home instead of driving.... DDs before DD was cool...

Get this!!! During hunting season, almost every car in the parking lot had a GUN in it!!!!

Yeah.... so much more I could add to prove to you, we baby boomers failed you....

Or you could realize, those boomers you accuse, are the reason you have it better today...

But you won't, it's always someone else fault....

Edited by Cinga

Yeah, your probably right, we hippies and freaks of the 60s and 70s have failed you miserably.....

We often parked over the hills of Colden, to look down at night as slag was poured into Lake Erie from the mills, but walked away from those mills, for a life in other industries, some you might enjoy today...

We watched the dozers pile "winter kill" along the beaches to burn it off, before we could think about swimming in the lake....

We drove REAL muscle cars that heck, my own 68 Firebird got 3 miles city, and 13 hwy when it was running well, but went on to develop thing slike fuel injection and catalytic convertors....

We used the words, "Yes sir, No sir" and "Yes Mam, No Mam" even when it wasn't required as a show of respect!

We ALL carried pocket knives, but only used them to whittle or open a beer that the tab broke on.... (gasp!!!!)

We all hit the bars before we were legal, 18 at that time, and if we had too much, hitched a ride home instead of driving.... DDs before DD was cool...

Get this!!! During hunting season, almost every car in the parking lot had a GUN in it!!!!

Yeah.... so much more I could add to prove to you, we baby boomers failed you....

Or you could realize, those boomers you accuse, are the reason you have it better today...

damn, that's nostalgic. you describe it exactly as I remember it.

Your last line says it all. It's always someone elses fault.

Well, I will once again do this thing....that I seem to have to do every 6 months or so:

1. Baby Boomers started out being self-aware in the 60s. But they are young, and many have the opportunity to be the first in their family to go to college. So, they vote Democrat, because it's "hand out" time. Hence, JFK, LBJ, and Nixon....who by any standard is a big government guy. Subsidized education, day care(Head Start), food stamps, etc., gets the Baby Boomers started in life, all the way through Carter. Plus....they get to tell themselves they are doing the "moral thing" by voting for the Great Society. :rolleyes:

Self-Congratulatory. Self-aggrandizing. Douchebaggery. That's pretty much the best summary of 1964-1969.

2. But, it's the early 70s now. It's time to get a job. Now that they are on their 2nd job in the late 70s? All of sudden? Paying taxes sucks. Really sucks. So, time for a change = Reagan. Reagan/Bush gives them years of cut income taxes, and a massive cut in the capital gains tax. So, now they can invest, live well, and be the literal "Me Generation"(only generation that name has ever been applied to). Of course, this is also right around the time that 50% of them start getting divorced every year...creating havoc for Generation X, because when every single friend's parents get divorced in a 6th month period? That's havoc for you as well. And, for the first time: it's "hand in" time. This is the first time we hear "the government has got a hand in everybody's pocket" and the like, from Baby Boomers.

3. However....it's getting late in the 80s. And, guess what? Not only it is time to put the kids through college...its also time to get retrained for a new career/get that master's degree/MBA. The tech economy is coming, and these Baby Boomers need to go back to school/borrow money to start a business/get tax breaks/buy a new(another?) home and capitalize. They need to be "invested in" again. Well, what do you know? Clinton, despite 90% Bush 1 approval rating just a year before, gets elected. The "Baby Boomer" "hand out" is back out in full force, and Clinton is there with promises of putting $ in that hand.

"I need, I need!"(What about Bob?)

4. The kids are now out of school, and the Boomer's are in their "prime earning time" of their life. Man, it's time to forget all these Clinton taxes. It's time to deregulate the stock market. It's time to "get government out of the way, and let me make as much $ as possible". What a surpirse. Despite all conventional political wisdom(Clinton policies polling at 70%+), Gore pits outs....and Bush gets elected to cut taxes, deregulate(this was his agenda....then 9/11), etc.

5. Well, now. The Boomers have their $. They have their retirement plan. The only thing that threatens it? Health care costs. Entitlement reform. And, they are gettin old. They want to feel like they did back in the 60s. Before they die....they want to personally "complete" the Civil Rights movement....by voting for a Black President....who also just happens to represent the least amount of threat to their personal stash/income. Obama doesn't want to tax them. Obama wants to make young people pay for their health care! (Tell me that isn't exactly what Obamacare does)

Hence Obama is voted in...despite the fact that most Bably Boomers knew damn well that he didn't have the experience, because they have experiene.

You guys can talk all you want. When you get done?

The Baby Boomers, and their voting their self-interest, is precisely how we have come to be here, whether the result was good or bad(mostly bad).

The pattern is undeniable, because it's so consistent.

Edited by OCinBuffalo