Frank Reich

Interesting article about "coaches in waiting", as CBSSPORTS.com Jason La Canfora talks about the list of coordinators on the rise.

Interesting that Reich was the Chargers QB coach last season. Mike McCoy the new HC, Ken Wisenhunt the OC. The 2013 Chargers went 9-7 in the AFC WEST with the Chiefs, Broncos in the same division. They went to the playoffs under a rookie HC, and beat the Bengals 27-10 in the wildcard game. Then lost to the Broncos 17-24.

The Chargers managed to beat the 11- 5 Chiefs twice, and the 13-3 Broncos once during the regular season.

"But I continued to hear inside that building, and from outside of it, that Reich's work with Rivers as quarterback coach was huge."

http://www.cbssports...inators-on-rise

EDIT: "Frank Reich, who spent last season as the Chargers’ quarterbacks coach, will take over as their offensive coordinator now that Whisenhunt has left to become the head coach of the Titans."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/14/chargers-promote-frank-reich-to-offensive-coordinator/

Edited by FeartheLosing

This will be Reich's first gig as an OC. I think the article is premature in stating he could make the same leap as Whisenhunt did after this season to HC, considering Whisenhunt had years of successful OC experience, took a team to the SB as a HC already before making the leap back again. Whisenhunt only went to SD as a stop-gap, and McCoy is an offensive head coach so Reich will definitely get good tutelage. However, McCoy has stated he will call the plays this season so I don't think Reich will be jumping into a HC role anytime soon.

This will be Reich's first gig as an OC. I think the article is premature in stating he could make the same leap as Whisenhunt did after this season to HC, considering Whisenhunt had years of successful OC experience, took a team to the SB as a HC already before making the leap back again. Whisenhunt only went to SD as a stop-gap, and McCoy is an offensive head coach so Reich will definitely get good tutelage. However, McCoy has stated he will call the plays this season so I don't think Reich will be jumping into a HC role anytime soon.

Before Mike Pettine i would have agreed with you

Pettine has been coaching in the NFL since 2002 and had 4 years as the defensive coordinator of the Jets before proving he could run his own show last year. Reich is comparable to 2009 Pettine, maybe, but not 2013 Pettine.

I still think that is different though. Pettine had been a DC for several years with two different teams. In his second stint, he was with a Offensive HC meaning he ran the entire D. This will literally be Reich's first OC job and he will be with an Offensive HC who will be calling the plays. Even Adam Gase is with a Defensive HC, so he does get full credit for the offense in Denver (Peyton notwithstanding, lol). Typically you need more than one year as a coordinator.

I still think that is different though. Pettine had been a DC for several years with two different teams. In his second stint, he was with a Offensive HC meaning he ran the entire D. This will literally be Reich's first OC job and he will be with an Offensive HC who will be calling the plays. Even Adam Gase is with a Defensive HC, so he does get full credit for the offense in Denver (Peyton notwithstanding, lol). Typically you need more than one year as a coordinator.

Here is what i was getting at.

Pettine was DC under Rex Ryan who is a very hands on coach by all accounts. Pettine went to the Bills and was DC and had what appears total control on that side of the ball. After one good season with Buffalo, albiet not great season, he gets a gig.

Lets say Reich is OC for the Chargers and they have an even better year offensively, you are going to say he will not get considered?

Pettine doing a good job in Cleveland will also help Reich to be seen as a legit candidate. The NFL is a copy cat league.

Pettine was DC under Rex Ryan who is a very hands on coach by all accounts. Pettine went to the Bills and was DC and had what appears total control on that side of the ball. After one good season with Buffalo, albiet not great season, he gets a gig.

Lets say Reich is OC for the Chargers and they have an even better year offensively, you are going to say he will not get considered?

Pettine doing a good job in Cleveland will also help Reich to be seen as a legit candidate. The NFL is a copy cat league.

I would be shocked, because McCoy said he is going to call the plays. IMO it would be like Jim O'Neil getting considered for a HC job next year if the Browns D improves from last year.

Frank Reich really lucked out by being hired by Mike McCoy, as I think he is a top offensive minded coach in the league. That man won a playoff game with Tebow at QB. :blink:

Should the Chargers reach the SB this season then who knows what will happen. Its just good to see Frank get a great opportunity like this.

Anyone 'could' do anything. That's what makes sports reporting so irrelevant. That can't be any more evident than pre-Draft reporting.

I hope he does well though, Reich's a great guy seemingly.

Pettine has been coaching in the NFL since 2002 and had 4 years as the defensive coordinator of the Jets before proving he could run his own show last year. Reich is comparable to 2009 Pettine, maybe, but not 2013 Pettine.

I have no idea why Pettine gets so much credit for last year. He wasn't all that great with the Jets and the Jets D got worse on his watch.

Our defense ranked 20th in scoring D last year, below average. It ranked 28th against the run, and we only faced one top 15 RB.

The average ranking of scoring offenses we played was worse than 19th. The average ranking of yardage offenses that we played was 20th. That may not seem like a huge off-the-average mark, but it is huge.

Edited by TaskersGhost

Interesting article about "coaches in waiting", as CBSSPORTS.com Jason La Canfora talks about the list of coordinators on the rise.

Interesting that Reich was the Chargers QB coach last season. Mike McCoy the new HC, Ken Wisenhunt the OC. The 2013 Chargers went 9-7 in the AFC WEST with the Chiefs, Broncos in the same division. They went to the playoffs under a rookie HC, and beat the Bengals 27-10 in the wildcard game. Then lost to the Broncos 17-24.

The Chargers managed to beat the 11- 5 Chiefs twice, and the 13-3 Broncos once during the regular season.

"But I continued to hear inside that building, and from outside of it, that Reich's work with Rivers as quarterback coach was huge."

http://www.cbssports...inators-on-rise

EDIT: "Frank Reich, who spent last season as the Chargers’ quarterbacks coach, will take over as their offensive coordinator now that Whisenhunt has left to become the head coach of the Titans."

http://profootballta...ve-coordinator/

I'm glad to see Frank doing well. I have some good memories of him, including the comeback game .