USMNT Pre-World Cup Thread - Next Game 6/7 vs. Nigeria

PTS

It's more of a 4-4-2 Sorta

Dempsey the way he could possibly be envisioned is as the withdrawn striker.

Altidore the guy who would hold the ball up top on fast breaks.

Bradley as the playmaker that pushes up (even though I believe his natural tendency is to stay more withdrawn),

Jones as the pitbull midfielder (Even though he has a tendency to sometimes play a little undisciplined and pushes up at times more so than he should).

Bedoya a guy that can be effective on the offensive side (5 goals for Nantes (first division French league) this year, more than any midfielder on his team) but excels playing defense on the wings, very good up and down abilities.

Zusi has some excellent crossing abilities.

----------Altidore-----------------

---------------------Dempsey--------

--Bedoya-----------Bradley-------------Zusi

-------------------Jones-----------------------

Beasley---Cameron---Besler---F.Johnson

-------------------Howard-------------------

I don't follow the US national team for obvious reasons but Bradley as a playmaker? Any time he was brought in to replace Pjanic at Roma, he failed miserably. He was much better as a backup to Strootman/Daniele De Rossi.

Also, there will be an American player in Italy Giuseppe Rossi :D

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts on the game:

1. Altidore: Always been a big fan, I see glimpses again. That said, he needs to score before the WC or I'm sticking him on the bench.
  2. Wondo: He normally buries his chances so I was surprised to see he missed his two great headers. I do believe he will score at the WC.
  3. Bradley: Worst game ever for him. Don't like him playing in that CAM role. He needs to be more involved in the middle of the pitch.
  4. Jones: One of his best games. They will need him to be the destroyer and that means he can't get too involved offensively.
  5. Zuzi: Always called him the poor man's Landon Donovan. I think he's very underrated on the world stage.
  6. Bedoya: Solid game, would prefer LD in this spot but Bedoya does have provide more cover on defense.
  7. Beasley: I just don't know. He scares me but he can also provide spark from behind Bedoya. Would prefer him as a late sub if they are searching for a goal.
  8. Besler: Not his best game but he'll be starting at CB.
  9. Cameron: Most likely our best CB option.
  10. Johnson: Reminds of Tony Sanneh from WC 2002. He will make a name for himself this tournament.
  11. Howard: Not much to do but I expect him to be a wall in the net when needed.

SUBS:

1. Davis: Damn I hated you because of this whole LD thing but he proved his worth.
  2. Diskerud: Always been a fan. He has a range of qualities that no other player has in the pool. Great CAM option. Will only get better in time.
  3. Johannson: Similar to Diskerud, brings sometime to the table that's isn't found elsewhere.
  4. Yedlin: I think this kid will be a star ... in 2018. If he sees the field in Brazil, it probably wouldn't be for good reasons.
  5. Gonzalez: Has the physical qualities to be a stud CB but still not there. Likely behind Besler and Cameron but I think he will get playing time in Brazil.
  6. Chandler: He has more quality but still hasn't shown it at the national team level.

KLINSMANN:

I like the formation. I see why JK wouldn't have LD as one of his starters but I do believe he would have been the best option off the bench. If, for example, the US needs a goal. I pull Jones out, slide Bradley into his spot and sub Donovan on as the attacking midfielder. That gives you offensive pedigree through your front six.

I'm interested to see how this team performs against Turkey on Sunday. They are probably one of the best teams in the world not to make the cup.

I don't follow the US national team for obvious reasons but Bradley as a playmaker? Any time he was brought in to replace Pjanic at Roma, he failed miserably. He was much better as a backup to Strootman/Daniele De Rossi.

Yep, he's best suited in the CDM role but Klinsmann wants Jones there so pushing Bradley higher up the pitch is the result. I love Bradley but I'm nervous if that's the role Klinsmann wants him in. Not saying he can't do it because he is a machine but it's not a natural place for him. My guess is if Dempsey played, he would be fallen back more than Wondo did and that would have allowed Bradley to drop back into a more perferred role.

And damn you Rossi! We could have used you (and Subotic).

Edited by PTS

Last night's game didn't inspire a whole lotta confidence, but I'm trying to remain optimistic. My question is will this group come together in a way that is more that the sum of its parts?

They need that special extra ingredient to raise their game, like they did in 2002 when they upset Porgugal and nearly shocked Germany too (they arguably outplayed Germany that day).

Something about this current roster just feels...unsettled. I think they will get it together in time and show something great, but it's high anxiety time right now.

I can't speak to what he did in Italy, but as a midfielder of the US team, he is THE play maker on the team, without Bradley this team falls apart.

Last night's game didn't inspire a whole lotta confidence, but I'm trying to remain optimistic. My question is will this group come together in a way that is more that the sum of its parts?

They need that special extra ingredient to raise their game, like they did in 2002 when they upset Porgugal and nearly shocked Germany too (they arguably outplayed Germany that day).

Something about this current roster just feels...unsettled. I think they will get it together in time and show something great, but it's high anxiety time right now.

Don't forget that the team has been scrimmaging often and having three-a-day practices over the past couple weeks. They had "heavy legs" and it showed. Plus lets put aside that Azerb. was playing in a defensive crouch the whole game, stuffing eleven men back. And if you look at their world cup qualifying, they didn't give up all that many goals.

I think this team has been working primarily on "getting in shape", Klinsmann talked about how we needed to get in game shape and get our legs under neath us. My guess is the chemistry/technical aspect is what they will be working on.

Yes it was a friendly, and yes, they have been training hard, but that was still a very troubling performance. Azerbaijan is a good defensive team and they parked the bus, but lots of question marks after that game.

1. Tactics. Klinsmann wants to play a diamond, but doesn't have the players to do it. Bradley would be fantastic in the holding role, far better than Jones. No one else can play the CAM though, with Donovan out. Zusi and Bedoya don't provide enough to make it work with the offense running through Bradley, and certainly not without Dempsey. Jones is a terrible choice for the holding/link player with the back 4. See comments on Bradley below. This team does not have enough talent to force one of its few world class players (and Bradley certainly is that as a defensive midfielder) into a second choice role.

2. Creativity. Just not a lot going on. Very little useful movement off the ball, content to just launch crosses and hope for set pieces.

3. Speed. Maybe this is where the training affected the team, but there seemed to be a distinct lack of speed from the US side.

4. Lack of presence/finish in the final third. These guys are who they are. LIttle hope that this gets better before the WC. Unless 2011 Dempsey appears this team will struggle to score.

Players:

The Good:

1. Diskerud provided speed and energy of the bench and was in the right place to get the goal.

2. Johansson did not fail to put away a wide open header.

3. Fabian Johnson was quite good on the wing. Made most/all of the good runs the team had in the first half.

4. Beasley was ok. Pushed play where the opportunity presented itself and didn't get out of position.

The Meh:

1. Howard. Didn't have much to do, but did it.

2. Cameron. See above.

3. Gonzalez. Not pressured enough to have his typical brainfart. Made a nice play the only time he was called on.

4. Zusi. Couple of nice free kicks. Ok in open play.

5. Altidore. Two nice plays. In 90 minutes. Never threatened to score or create a goal against a team who could mark no one on set pieces. This from a guy who is supposed to be leading this team. At least three god-awful, schoolyard level plays. Jozy is not a world class player.

6. Bedoya. The definition of meh.

The Bad:

1. Besler, unfortunately, was Besler. Called on to do next to nothing, and created Azerbaijan's best chance of the night. A goal waiting to happen (this is bad for a defender).

2. Jermaine Jones is not a holding midfielder. Known for getting himself out of position, although he didn't last night. Terrible touch on passes, although wind probably didn't help. He is not the guy the team should be relying on to distribute from the back, provide cover for the back 4 and link them to the midfield. Stupid. Klinsmann's fascination with this never was is hilarious.

3. Wondolowski. A garbageman who missed two open headers. Provides nothing except for his knack of having the ball fall to his feet in front of the goal, and even failed at that. Send home now.

4. Bradley. Unbelievably bad. A turnover machine. Is a world class holding midfielder but Klinsmann's inane personnel decisions have forced him into playing CAM. Could be adequate (but not world class) as a CAM, but needs lots of speed and threat on the wings that the team doesn't have in order to create the space he requires to succeed in that role. Talent wasted.

The Ugly:

1. Chandler. What an unfortunate looking man.

Edited by joey greco

I can't speak to what he did in Italy, but as a midfielder of the US team, he is THE play maker on the team, without Bradley this team falls apart.

I like him as a player as he has a lot of heart but he is not a play maker. In Rome they used to muse that his most critical pass was backwards. Bradley is a pure CDM and he is quite good at it.

If he's used as a CAM, best not even show up.

I like him as a player as he has a lot of heart but he is not a play maker. In Rome they used to muse that his most critical pass was backwards. Bradley is a pure CDM and he is quite good at it.

Whether he is a play maker on the elite world stage is to be seen, but he is our best play maker and there is very little doubt about that. He has played at a high level for the US in the vast majority of our games and was certainly our best creative force through world cup qualifying and our recent game against Mexico. He was magnificent.

In regards to what is his most natural position, well I think he displays the ability to play both roles, ideally I'd wish we had another play maker in the middle to go along with him, but I am perfectly content with Bradley and Jones manning the middle.

From my perspective, it will be mainly what the back four do, do they make some of those cringe worthy forced errors or lapses in defense where they take their eyes off their marked man for that split second that lead to those devastating game-deciding goals?

Edited by Magox

Got a question for the soccer guys...I've watched a chunk of the FA cup final, the Euro Cup final, and then the tune-up game against azerbijan.

Why do the styles of play between the Eruo squads and the 'Muricans look so different? Different philosophy, different coaching, difference in talent? The Euro squads had a "slower" paced game with lots of controlled passes, while the Americans ran around with their hair on fire.

Got a question for the soccer guys...I've watched a chunk of the FA cup final, the Euro Cup final, and then the tune-up game against azerbijan.

Why do the styles of play between the Eruo squads and the 'Muricans look so different? Different philosophy, different coaching, difference in talent? The Euro squads had a "slower" paced game with lots of controlled passes, while the Americans ran around with their hair on fire.

I think it looks slower simply because you are watching top club teams at their peak. As a result, they are supremely organized. Everyone knows his role and the positioning and overlapping are seamless. For the USMNT, there is some "scrambling" going on out there to try to cover the real estate.

However, I have to say that the pace of the Azerbaijan game was quite slow compared to what we'll see in Brazil.

Some of this perceived difference is an illusion I think. The top teams kind of "make it look easy" while the speed of play (and thought) is actually really very fast.

Edited by Cugalabanza

Today's Turkey game showed some progress, but still some troubling stuff. Tim Chandler was very disappointing to me. I guess Beasley will still be our best option at LB. This worries me.

The back line still looks unresolved. I think it's mostly a matter of bad timing. Unfortunately the promising young guys (Brooks and Yedlin) are just a touch too young. We're left with a patchwork of guys playing in spots they're not 100% used to (F. Johnson & Cameron). They'll have to dig in hard to be good enough against Ghana, Portunaldo & Germany.

I liked the work from Altidore today. He gave Turkey's back line fits. I think it's just bad luck he did not get the goal. I have a feeling he will break out of his slump at a very good time. He's doing everything right.

Man, I like Diskerud's touch. He has a very positive (Stu Holden-like) effect on the game when he's out there. I think he could be valuable as a late sub in one or more of the WC games .

Edited by Cugalabanza

If you're referring to the champions league final, it was basically david vs goliath. Atletico Madrid can't compete against Real Madrid unless they play a tighter game defensively which they managed to do until the 94th minute.

My thoughts on the Turkey game:

1. Altidore: Great game but he needs a damn goal. That said, if he can play like he did, he will open up chances for his teammates.
  2. Dempsey: Love the skill and class. He tailed off at the end but was always a threat.
  3. Bradley: Much better than last game but still not playing in his perfered position.
  4. Jones: I thought he had a rough outing. Jones needs to be perfect in the CDM spot and I'm not sure it will happen at the WC.
  5. Zusi: Sublime passing throughout the game. Great back-tracking.
  6. Davis: Nothing good or bad to say. Wasn't particularly involved.
  7. Chandler: I really wanted him to work out at LB but he just looks lost and out of position.
  8. Besler: Starting to wonder if he will start in Brazil.
  9. Cameron: Solid again. Have to think he's the only sure starter at CB.
  10. Johnson: What a goal. I said it before, I'll say it again, he will make a name for himself at this WC.
  11. Howard: Made some key saves but not too much to do.

SUBS:

1. Diskerud: The ball wasn't on his side all too much but he always seems to make a positive play. Passing is also very good.
  2. Beckerman: Four years ago, he was my least favorite USMNT player. Now I believe he should be starting in front of Jones. Solid, disciplined and knows the role.
  3. Yedlin: Very good from the kid and his speed makes up for his positioning.
  4. Green: Too many nerves but I definitely see the skill and the vision. Doubt it will come out in time for this WC.
  5. Brooks: Threw his name in the hat for that final CB slot. It's going to be a battle between him, Beasler and Gonzalez.
  6. Guzan: I rate his as good as Howard. That PK was perfect and he almost stopped it.

My thoughts on the Turkey game:

1. Altidore: Great game but he needs a damn goal. That said, if he can play like he did, he will open up chances for his teammates.
  2. Dempsey: Love the skill and class. He tailed off at the end but was always a threat.
  3. Bradley: Much better than last game but still not playing in his perfered position.
  4. Jones: I thought he had a rough outing. Jones needs to be perfect in the CDM spot and I'm not sure it will happen at the WC.
  5. Zusi: Sublime passing throughout the game. Great back-tracking.
  6. Davis: Nothing good or bad to say. Wasn't particularly involved.
  7. Chandler: I really wanted him to work out at LB but he just looks lost and out of position.
  8. Besler: Starting to wonder if he will start in Brazil.
  9. Cameron: Solid again. Have to think he's the only sure starter at CB.
  10. Johnson: What a goal. I said it before, I'll say it again, he will make a name for himself at this WC.
  11. Howard: Made some key saves but not too much to do.

SUBS:

1. Diskerud: The ball wasn't on his side all too much but he always seems to make a positive play. Passing is also very good.
  2. Beckerman: Four years ago, he was my least favorite USMNT player. Now I believe he should be starting in front of Jones. Solid, disciplined and knows the role.
  3. Yedlin: Very good from the kid and his speed makes up for his positioning.
  4. Green: Too many nerves but I definitely see the skill and the vision. Doubt it will come out in time for this WC.
  5. Brooks: Threw his name in the hat for that final CB slot. It's going to be a battle between him, Beasler and Gonzalez.
  6. Guzan: I rate his as good as Howard. That PK was perfect and he almost stopped it.

Good stuff! I agree especially about Chandler. I read some stuff online trying to say that Chandler was ok. Not the case! He looked lost. I don't know what his problem is. We've been hanging hopes on Chandler for a long time and he just never lives up. I guess it will be Beasley on the left side.

If it were up to me, I'd have Fabian Johnson move to the left (his natural side anyway). And, !@#$ it, I'd put Yedlin on the right side. I'm coming around on Yedlin. And he's tough as ****--we need a little muscle back there. In the middle, probably Besler and Cameron give us the best chance. Brooks is close to breaking in there, but I feel he needs a little more time.

If C Ronaldo is really injured and out for the world cup, USA might have a shot of getting out of this group.

Not sure if you remember but the 2002 world cup, Portugal was one of the top teams heading into the tournament, they were a popular selection by many to possibly win it all. http://sportsillustr...power_rankings/

Remember, Luis Figo? Rui Costa, Sergio Conceicao, Fernando Couto, Nuno Gomes? That team was loaded. Odds are that the US won't make it out of the group, but to state that the only shot US will have of getting out into the next round will be dependent on an injury from Ronaldo, is ....well, lets just say that I disagree.

Edited by Magox

Not sure if you remember but the 2002 world cup, Portugal was one of the top teams heading into the tournament, they were a popular selection by many to possibly win it all. http://sportsillustr...power_rankings/

Remember, Luis Figo? Rui Costa, Sergio Conceicao, Fernando Couto, Nuno Gomes? That team was loaded. Odds are that the US won't make it out of the group, but to state that the only shot US will have of getting out into the next round will be dependent on an injury from Ronaldo, is ....well, lets just say that I disagree.

All those people you mentioned, I didn't rate any of them but Ronaldo has to be by far one of the best players I've ever seen of all time so that's where I base my conclusions on. I would be scared shitless if Portugal played Italy just by what he's able to do.

All those people you mentioned, I didn't rate any of them but Ronaldo has to be by far one of the best players I've ever seen of all time so that's where I base my conclusions on. I would be scared shitless if Portugal played Italy just by what he's able to do.

Well, you may have not rated any of them :lol: , but others did, Luis Figo was FIFA world player of the year in 2001, and Rui Costa was top 10.

http://en.wikipedia....yer_of_the_Year

I use to love watching Figo play, so much speed, skill and a wicked left foot, one of the best modern day crossers of the ball that this world had seen. He was my favorite from 2001-2003.

Edited by Magox

Well, you may have not rated any of them :lol: , but others did, Luis Figo was FIFA world player of the year in 2001, and Rui Costa was top 10.

http://en.wikipedia....yer_of_the_Year

I use to love watching Figo play, so much speed, skill and a wicked left foot, one of the best modern day crossers of the ball that this world had seen. He was my favorite from 2001-2003.

I wasn't a fan of the Portuguese players of that era. They all seemed to be greatly skilled players but were anti-clutch. It's only when Zidane joined Real Madrid in those days that they were much better and convincingly won the Champions League.

Ronaldo on the other hand has to be the fastest dribbler/finisher I have ever seen. I don't think Portugal will come close to winning the WC but I think the Ronaldo factor will get them through their group.

I hear a lot about how Porgugal is FIFA ranked #3 in the world currently. But I haven't heard anyone seriously make the case that they are a top contender to win the WC. Brazil, Germany, Spain, Argentina, Uruguay, Italy all have a better shot. I'd even pick the Netherlands and Chile over Portugal.

They're still a very good team and unquestionably a favorite against the U.S., but not among the true contenders.

I hear a lot about how Porgugal is FIFA ranked #3 in the world currently. But I haven't heard anyone seriously make the case that they are a top contender to win the WC. Brazil, Germany, Spain, Argentina, Uruguay, Italy all have a better shot. I'd even pick the Netherlands and Chile over Portugal.

They're still a very good team and unquestionably a favorite against the U.S., but not among the true contenders.

Uruguay can certainly do damage if Suarez is back to fitness but I doubt it. I certainly prefer them getting out of the group over England.

Argentina scares me. It could be their year.

Falcao is such a great player and Muriel is pretty damn good as well. Sucks for Colombia.

I'm also incredibly saddened at Dutch vice captain and Roma player, Kevin Strootman who is injured and will miss the world cup.

The great players often play in multiple tournaments and this increases the chances exponentially that they get injured and could miss the world cup.

Bradley is THE playmaker. Without him, there is no USA in the WC. Bank on that. He's the best player on the team.

The US does not play controlled soccer traditionally. The style in MLS is forward-forward-forward and the same thing happens with our national team. We don't instill patience into kids and it carries through all our players. We've gotten better but "hair on fire" is a good description of the US style. You'll never mistake them for Spain.

Bradley is not an attacker. He's a controller.

Yes. He's a defensive midfielder. Plays in front of the defense. That's why when I saw someone place him ahead of the two forwards, I got flashbacks of him not doing very well in that role when he replaced Pjanic.

Bradley is a top class holding midfielder, but also has a ton of value in a box-to-box role. If Jermaine Jones is on the field with him, and Klinsmann is playing a 4-4-2 diamond, given his ability to create, I certainly have no issues seeing him at CAM.

Bradley is a top class holding midfielder, but also has a ton of value in a box-to-box role. If Jermaine Jones is on the field with him, and Klinsmann is playing a 4-4-2 diamond, given his ability to create, I certainly have no issues seeing him at CAM.

In a diamond, bringing up the ball as a deep lying midfielder could work. I hope for him. Roma played a 4-3-3 so it's a different ball game.

Yes. He's a defensive midfielder. Plays in front of the defense. That's why when I saw someone place him ahead of the two forwards, I got flashbacks of him not doing very well in that role when he replaced Pjanic.

He's not just a defensive mid fielder. Just because he didn't do as well in one situation doesn't mean that is how he is defined. He has played by US standards marvelously as the attacking midfielder. That pass he had in this last game is a prime example of that, or what about the game vs. Mexico?

Two recent games, two really strong games as the attacking midfielder. Those are quality opponents.

He's going to play well as the attacking midfielder in the world cup, that I'm not worried about, AT ALL! The real questions I have are:

1) Is Jozy Altidore gonna execute and score?

2) Is Jermaine Jones going to be disciplined and not veer upfield too much exposing our defense?

3) And is the back four going to be organized and gel with one another?

Edited by Magox

I liked Bradley's recent comments about his positioning and the diamond formation. He said too much gets made of it all. He sees his job as making good things happen in the middle of the field, whether it's "scoring goals, setting up goals, winning tackles, intercepting balls..."

linky poo:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/03/sports/soccer/jurgen-klinsmann-gambles-on-michael-bradleys-scoring-prowess-for-us-soccer.html?_r=0

1) Is Jozy Altidore gonna execute and score?

2) Is Jermaine Jones going to be disciplined and not veer upfield too much exposing our defense?

3) And is the back four going to be organized and gel with one another?

I 100% agree with this.

Altidore looks absolutely lost on the attack right now, and and back four plus Jones need to settle in, and stop giving opposing attacks so much space to operate in.

I 100% agree with this.

Altidore looks absolutely lost on the attack right now, and and back four plus Jones need to settle in, and stop giving opposing attacks so much space to operate in.

Actually, I think he looks pretty strong. Just missing that final touch to get the goal. In the Turkey game, he worked extremely hard, holding the ball with his back to goal. He muscled the defenders and gave them fits. Making some nice passes and moves on his own too. He also did some good stuff as the first defender (i.e., "forechecking" for the non-soccer fan). Turkey's coach gave Jozy special props--said Turkey's backs had a very hard time handling him.

I've occasionally been disappointed with Jozy in the past when he has seemed uninspired, but I think he's in good form now. Once he breaks the seal, the goals will come in bunches.

I agree with you on the back line though. I'm a little worried. I can only hope they get it together very quickly.

Edited by Cugalabanza

Actually, I think he looks pretty strong. Just missing that final touch to get the goal. In the Turkey game, he worked extremely hard, holding the ball with his back to goal. He muscled the defenders and gave them fits. Making some nice passes and moves on his own too. He also did some good stuff as the first defender (i.e., "forechecking" for the non-soccer fan). Turkey's coach gave Jozy special props--said Turkey's backs had a very hard time handling him.

I've occasionally been disappointed with Jozy in the past when he has seemed uninspired, but I think he's in good form now. Once he breaks the seal, the goals will come in bunches.

I agree with you on the back line though. I'm a little worried. I can only hope they get it together very quickly.

I disagree about Jozy. He's been abysmal. He hasn't scored since December 4th, and only managed a single assist in the 2013-14 season. He has been incredibly tentative on the ball, even in 1-on-1 situations, and is turning down as many chances as he's taking, and the ones he is taking are forced and rushed. It's the monster in his head at this point, and a single goal isn't going to open the floodgates. The problem runs deeper than that.

I disagree about Jozy. He's been abysmal. He hasn't scored since December 4th, and only managed a single assist in the 2013-14 season. He has been incredibly tentative on the ball, even in 1-on-1 situations, and is turning down as many chances as he's taking, and the ones he is taking are forced and rushed. It's the monster in his head at this point, and a single goal isn't going to open the floodgates. The problem runs deeper than that.

Yeah, I know he had a very disappointing season at Sunderland. I was just judging based on what I saw in the Turkey game. I really think he will find it. I bet he gets a goal on Saturday against Nigeria.

Yeah, I know he had a very disappointing season at Sunderland. I was just judging based on what I saw in the Turkey game. I really think he will find it. I bet he gets a goal on Saturday against Nigeria.

If not for the phantom penalty against Turkey, he did score. He also generated two quality chances, one of which was saved and the other was flagged offside on the latest whistle ever. I thought he looked solid against Turkey.

If not for the phantom penalty against Turkey, he did score. He also generated two quality chances, one of which was saved and the other was flagged offside on the latest whistle ever. I thought he looked solid against Turkey.

The one that was saved was forced and rushed. He had another chance, to the left of the goal, which my have been his best chance of the night, which he turned down.