• Khalil Mack
    • Jake Matthews
    • Mike Evans
    • Justin Gilbert
    • Anthony Barr
    • Eric Ebron
    • Other (someone outside top 10)

Emtman & Coryatt were great prospects.

Injuries did Emtman in. Didn't he have 2 knee injuries in one year? Hardly his fault.

Coryatt just never lived up to expectations.

Depending on nature of injury however, I think it can also be argued guy was a bust if it looked like he wasn't physically up to NFL durability. Was a long time ago, but if I recall correctly neither of Emtman's knee injuries were direct hits, just straight up blocks where he was engaged high and his knees gave out. In that case Id label that a bust

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said all offseason whoever drafts Clowney will regret it

Bortles is the obvious pick but I'm going to go with Mike Evans as I think his size will actually work against him in the NFL as it has many other taller receivers

Depending on nature of injury however, I think it can also be argued guy was a bust if it looked like he wasn't physically up to NFL durability. Was a long time ago, but if I recall correctly neither of Emtman's knee injuries were direct hits, just straight up blocks where he was engaged high and his knees gave out. In that case Id label that a bust

I said all offseason whoever drafts Clowney will regret it

Bortles is the obvious pick but I'm going to go with Mike Evans as I think his size will actually work against him in the NFL as it has many other taller receivers

So. I see this in my head. Eastwood sitting there as is in the avatar watching Sam and beau make out. That would be a good movie.

#ifanyoneofyouturnthisintoasam/gaythreadyoustink,becauseiwasjustmakingasillyobservationastheywerebacktoback#yolo

Emtman & Coryatt were great prospects.

Injuries did Emtman in. Didn't he have 2 knee injuries in one year? Hardly his fault.

Coryatt just never lived up to expectations.

Emtman was an obvious roid monster but I thought Coryatt was going to be a monster in the NFL

The guy played LB for 2 years and put up 23.5 sacks and 41.4 tackles for a loss. How this equates to "one year wonder" is beyond me. Anthony Barr is going to take a few years to get his feet under him (at which point people will call him a bust) but in a few years that kid is going to be a monster.

The problem is it was a top 10 pick and Barr isn't ready for the NFL in 2014.

I agree in 2016 he may develop into a force.

A top 10 pick that takes that long to develop could be called a bust.

Especially if he ends up developing on someone else's team.

But we won't know if he is a bust until the end of 2015 at the earliest. The Jags have been very forthright that he is not going to play (I assume unless there is an injury to Henne) in 2014. Even then, it would probably be 2016 or later before he could be labeled as such.

Going with Bortles. I can't see Henne going the entire season while their first rounder warms the bench. I just don't believe it.

How is Manziel not on this list? He will be out of the league just as fast as Jamarcus and Tebow. His arm isn't good enough. His size isn't big enough. And his head isn't smart enough. Add the fact he is on one of the five worst organizations in the NFL with a shat OC and he is near certain to be a bust.

For the record I voted Mack just because of the level of competition he faced. If I had a second choice I would pick Evans. Evans is so raw as a WR. He is going to take a long time to develop. Would not be shocked if it is Clowney though as others have pointed out. Speed can be neutralized at the point of attack by size.

How is Manziel not on this list? He will be out of the league just as fast as Jamarcus and Tebow. His arm isn't good enough. His size isn't big enough. And his head isn't smart enough. Add the fact he is on one of the five worst organizations in the NFL with a shat OC and he is near certain to be a bust.

For the record I voted Mack just because of the level of competition he faced. If I had a second choice I would pick Evans. Evans is so raw as a WR. He is going to take a long time to develop. Would not be shocked if it is Clowney though as others have pointed out. Speed can be neutralized at the point of attack by size.

Not to nitpick but Manziel has the best arm of all the 1st rounders & he's the same size as Drew Brees. If you don't believe that he will stay healthy that's one thing but his game is nothing like Tebow or Russell. Jamarcus is addicted to purple drank & Tebow throws like a girl. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Going with Bortles. I can't see Henne going the entire season while their first rounder warms the bench. I just don't believe it.

Bortles seems already on the path of a bust. Third overall pick and they are going with Henne as the starter for 2014. Why even draft him especially at the 3rd spot.

He is choice #11 "Other". I didn't want to type in all 32 names and I figure outside of top 10 there'd be less interest.

Bortles seems already on the path of a bust. Third overall pick and they are going with Henne as the starter for 2014. Why even draft him especially at the 3rd spot.

I wonder too why @3. Did they have intelligence raiders or browns would take him 4 or 5? If not why not trade down with us for example?

Dude, what are you talking about? Mike Williams was drafted #4 overall in the 2002 draft. Look it up homey, you are utterly and unquestionably wrong.

And your list of a few good small school players? I can guarantee you that I can come up with a list of small school guys that put up huge numbers that didn't do anything in the NFL or even make the NFL at all. Hell, the best QB in the MAC last year got signed as a RB, a RB!!!

Not to refute you because I can go with your logic. But dont forget about Jason Taylor, Babin, James Harrison, Edelman, Antonio Brown, Usama Young, Louis Delmas, Domonik Hixon, and Dave Zastudil and Joe Staley. All from the MAC. There are others from other small conferences but I really only follow the Mac in depth.

Again... none top ten. But in my eyes all great value from a small school.

Edited by Agent 91

Not to refute you because I can go with your logic. But dont forget about Jason Taylor, Babin, James Harrison, Edelman, Antonio Brown, Usama Young, Louis Delmas, Domonik Hixon, and Dave Zastudil and Joe Staley. All from the MAC. There are others from other small conferences but I really only follow the Mac in depth.

Again... none top ten. But in my eyes all great value from a small school.

The point being that #5 overall isn't a value pick.

No preseason games in CFB, esp. in BCS era.Need to win in grand fashion every week regardless of opponent to impress pollsters. Urban was going for 2 in the first quarter in that game.

Come on man.

A major conference pays to play teams in minor conferences because they expect to win. Call 'em tune up games, warm up games whatever you want it's not the same as a conference game in November. Of course the games count in the record but other than Michigan losing to whatever they call DII the majors rarely lose to the minors.

You can debate the relevance of those games with yourself.

The main question still stands, what happened to Mack when the Bulls were trying to win the MAC? Was he pulling a Clowney and protecting himself for the draft or was the cat out if the bag and teams easily game planned for Mack and took him out of the game?

Edited by Why So Serious?

The point being that #5 overall isn't a value pick.

Come on man.

A major conference pays to play teams in minor conferences because they expect to win. Call 'em tune up games, warm up games whatever you want it's not the same as a conference game in November. Of course the games count in the record but other than Michigan losing to whatever they call DII the majors rarely lose to the minors.

You can debate the relevance of those games with yourself.

The main question still stands, what happened to Mack when the Bulls were trying to win the MAC? Was he pulling a Clowney and protecting himself for the draft or was the cat out if the bag and teams easily game planned for Mack and took him out of the game?

The poster said it was like a preseason game for OSU to somehow insinuate that some credibility should be detracted from Mack's performance, as if it is like a preseason game in the NFL where the outcome is less important that "tuning up." This could not be further from the truth. To your point, yes, they expect to win. They expect to win every game. However, unlike the NFL where a playoff system exists, not all wins are equal in CFB. They won 40-20 and it was treated like a loss, nationally and locally. They were ranked #2 going into the season, and dropped in the polls after this "win." Especially when you are OSU, and play a schedule in 2013 that did not include a big time opponent until the Big 10 championship game, you will be forced to win every game, especially one against UB at home, by a lot more than 20 points for it to impress the pollsters. OSU never recovered from that drop in the polls, as they didn't have enough quality opponents to move back up. It isn't about winning, it is about either winning "impressively" or beating a top 10 team. OSU's schedule didn't have any top 10 teams on their regular season schedule. They could only play who was on their schedule, true, but they had to handle those games appropriately to where they were ranked at the time. They should have hung 60+ on them, they expected to, and they didn't. It was because of Mack. Had the offense put up more points., and the margin of win larger, perhaps they stay at #2. The ended the season undefeated and still had to win the Big 10 Championship to go to the NC game. They couldn't do it and their season was effectively over at that point. The players started preparing for the draft. Their goal was the NC game, not the Orange Bowl.

The only thing close to a preseason type game for OSU this year was indeed the Orange Bowl. By then, their fate was sealed. They have the most BCS appearances and wins of any team in the BCS era. They weren't too excited about going. Their goal was the NC game, and the OB was a letdown. Bradley Roby didn't even play because of a "thigh bruise." Truthfully, IMO, he didn't want to hurt his draft stock going against Watkins. He already had a less than stellar season after deciding to come back when he should have come out the year before. They benched the starting safety who was a senior and played a true freshman in his first game of the year. The thought was, he will be playing next year so might as well start now. Most reports of their practices leading up to the game was it looked like they didn't really care. They missed their goal, and any other bowl didn't matter. Not saying this is right (the fans were crushed by the loss), but it isn't uncommon. Bama and Oregon used the same excuses for their bowl performances.

Regarding the question of Mack's performance in the Idaho Potato Bowl, I am not sure as I didn't watch it. However, sometimes players headed to the draft don't have their best game in the bowl game. It is what it is, their focus in elsewhere. I am NOT saying that is true with Mack as I know it was a huge game for the UB program but it is NOT uncommon that this happens.

Edited by YoloinOhio

The poster said it was like a preseason game for OSU to somehow insinuate that some credibility should be detracted from Mack's performance, as if it is like a preseason game in the NFL where the outcome is less important that "tuning up." This could not be further from the truth. To your point, yes, they expect to win. They expect to win every game. However, unlike the NFL where a playoff system exists, not all wins are equal in CFB. They won 40-20 and it was treated like a loss, nationally and locally. They were ranked #2 going into the season, and dropped in the polls after this "win." Especially when you are OSU, and play a schedule in 2013 that did not include a big time opponent until the Big 10 championship game, you will be forced to win every game, especially one against UB at home, by a lot more than 20 points for it to impress the pollsters. OSU never recovered from that drop in the polls, as they didn't have enough quality opponents to move back up. It isn't about winning, it is about either winning "impressively" or beating a top 10 team. OSU's schedule didn't have any top 10 teams on their regular season schedule. They could only play who was on their schedule, true, but they had to handle those games appropriately to where they were ranked at the time. They should have hung 60+ on them, they expected to, and they didn't. It was because of Mack. Had the offense put up more points., and the margin of win larger, perhaps they stay at #2. The ended the season undefeated and still had to win the Big 10 Championship to go to the NC game. They couldn't do it and their season was effectively over at that point. The players started preparing for the draft. Their goal was the NC game, not the Orange Bowl.

The only thing close to a preseason type game for OSU this year was indeed the Orange Bowl. By then, their fate was sealed. They have the most BCS appearances and wins of any team in the BCS era. They weren't too excited about going. Their goal was the NC game, and the OB was a letdown. Bradley Roby didn't even play because of a "thigh bruise." Truthfully, IMO, he didn't want to hurt his draft stock going against Watkins. He already had a less than stellar season after deciding to come back when he should have come out the year before. They benched the starting safety who was a senior and played a true freshman in his first game of the year. The thought was, he will be playing next year so might as well start now. Most reports of their practices leading up to the game was it looked like they didn't really care. They missed their goal, and any other bowl didn't matter. Not saying this is right (the fans were crushed by the loss), but it isn't uncommon. Bama and Oregon used the same excuses for their bowl performances.

I was the OP.

I understand how college football works. The Ohio State game was like a Pre Season game for OSU, it does diminish Mack's performance. OSU was not prepared or game planning for Mack's dominance it took them by surprise.

You agree with the statement in essence but are being nit-picky with the words I used.

I wish Mack the best in the NFL but I'm concerned about his ability to translate to the NFL especially landing with the Raiders. The Raiders have a long history of struggling to develop 1st round picks.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I was the OP.

I understand how college football works. The Ohio State game was like a Pre Season game for OSU, it does diminish Mack's performance.

You agree with the statement in essence but are being nit-picky with the words I used.

I wish Mack the best in the NFL but I'm concerned about his ability to translate to the NFL especially landing with the Raiders. The Raiders have a long history of struggling to develop 1st round picks.

This may be your opinion, but the NFL scouts apparently don't agree. No, I don't agree with the statement in essence. If you understood how CFB worked, especially in 2013, you would realize that this particular program needed to do more than it was able to, as a result of Mack's performance, for that win to have meaning in the polls. Edited by YoloinOhio

This may be your opinion, but the NFL scouts apparently don't agree. No, I don't agree with the statement in essence. If you understood how CFB worked, especially in 2013, you would realize that this particular program needed to do more than it was able to, as a result of Mack's performance, for that win to have meaning in the polls.

This is the main point and it is very simple:

Mack played OSU before teams knew Mack's potential.

Mack was already talked about as a possible late first rounder but after the OSU game he was talked about as a Top 15 to Top 5 guy.

Ohio State was completely blindsided by Mack's performance.

Everyone knows that the big boys need to pad the scoreboard against the little guys. And OSU had a weak schedule so they needed even more padding.

The fact is Mack had an amazing game against OSU but was a non factor in MAC conference games and their bowl game when UB needed Mack the most.

That FACT is scary.

That is the whole point of "The OP" as you put it.

You can take exception to use of the word preseason game if you want. It still is basically a pre-season game in college football. To your point The style points in these pre-season games are important. Which is not the point of "the OP" but still true.

This is the main point and it is very simple:

Mack played OSU before teams knew Mack's potential.

Mack was already talked about as a possible late first rounder but after the OSU game he was talked about as a Top 15 to Top 5 guy.

Ohio State was completely blindsided by Mack's performance.

So OSU knew that UB had a 1st player on the team but were blindsided by his performance? Wouldn't that be the guy that you schemed around the most? Wouldn't you try to take away the guy that you know is their best player, especially knowing that the other guys on that team can't hurt you?