NFL Media and the Browns' Rookie Camp...Waaaaaahhhh!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree they should follow the rules. Is that the case here?

Also, when a team/player doesn't follow the rules, I don't see the point in acting like petulant children like they did with Marshawn Lynch. File a grievance with the league and let them handle it.

Not exactly how it goes down, but keep deluding yourself into that, "we're just doing our jobs and getting the information out" mantra.

Ah, I see. I like how you try to take away any argument I may have by telling me it's easy to go either direction. How very manipulative of you. Call me shocked.

For the record, I agree (about it being a bad idea). I think there will be a small benefit in letting him (and all of the other rookies) get started with as little fuss as possible. But since the media are who they are, all the Browns have done is open JM up to the shameless retaliation that is to come. And oh how proud everyone will be if they're able to grind him into the ground and say, "told ya!! :nana: ")

In the end, it doesn't matter what anyone thinks but the Browns. It's their decision to make, but how it reflects on them is has nothing to do with my post.

Yeah, it's very easy to blame the people responsible. Just kind of works itself out.

Talk about apples to oranges.

suit yourself. you've made up your mind. far be it from me to inform you differently.

jw

"But no quarterback can do it himself, and if the structure around him is not sound, he has no chance to succeed. The manner in which the Browns have handled Manziel since they drafted him just two weeks ago is worrisome, because it leads you to wonder whether the organization has the necessary internal fortitude to nurture a young quarterback and get the most out of him. Maybe it all turns out to be nothing, but at this point the alarm bells are legitimate. If the sloppy start to Manziel-mania in Cleveland is making Browns fans worry about his chances to succeed with their team, I think they're on to something." http://espn.go.com/n...-johnny-manziel

I have no idea what this garbled mess of a story is really trying to say - either the Browns' front office is really !@#$ed up and they are handling Johnny Football wrong (i.e. he shouldn't be protected but rather thrown to the wolves or that the handling of JF is worrisome after only two weeks post-draft). The opening of the article does suggest the writer is still PO'd that certain media members were denied access for the rookie camp. Once again, even if he raises the question in a tongue in cheek fashion ("Denied access - gasp!") he goes on to eviscerate the front office for common problems most teams face (new coach, new GM, etc). The comments at the bottom of the article are pretty entertaining as well.

"But no quarterback can do it himself, and if the structure around him is not sound, he has no chance to succeed. The manner in which the Browns have handled Manziel since they drafted him just two weeks ago is worrisome, because it leads you to wonder whether the organization has the necessary internal fortitude to nurture a young quarterback and get the most out of him. Maybe it all turns out to be nothing, but at this point the alarm bells are legitimate. If the sloppy start to Manziel-mania in Cleveland is making Browns fans worry about his chances to succeed with their team, I think they're on to something." http://espn.go.com/n...-johnny-manziel

I have no idea what this garbled mess of a story is really trying to say - either the Browns' front office is really !@#$ed up and they are handling Johnny Football wrong (i.e. he shouldn't be protected but rather thrown to the wolves or that the handling of JF is worrisome after only two weeks post-draft). The opening of the article does suggest the writer is still PO'd that certain media members were denied access for the rookie camp. Once again, even if he raises the question in a tongue in cheek fashion ("Denied access - gasp!") he goes on to eviscerate the front office for common problems most teams face (new coach, new GM, etc). The comments at the bottom of the article are pretty entertaining as well.

It has been kind of slammed here locally on how the Browns are handling it. They come across as amateurs. They are handling it completely opposite of how a team which drafted a QB in the 1st round and does not have say, Brett Favre, already there. Brian Hoyer and Tyler Thigpen? Really? Farmer said yesterday that Hoyer is significantly better than Manziel at this point, they keep trashing him in the media. It appears they feel they need to do this motivate him to work hard, which to me is a warning sign. If you want to draft Bortles and sit him for the year, fine. They intend for him to be the franchise QB. You want a vet backup in place to help your new QB? fine. But giving him 3rd team reps behind Thigpen? Come on. Edited by YoloinOhio

A circus came with Manziel. Tebow had his own. Both were used to it from college. Did the media circus make it easier or harder for Tebow to make it in the NFL?

I think the Browns were right to try shutting it down.

Maybe because you lost your top receiver to a suspension and you didn't draft a WR---and you are pretending that the starting QB spot is the great Brian Hoyer's job to lose.

Also, you are the team's Plan J at head coach. Not saying Pettine can't be a good one, but the team is asking him to do it with one hand behind his back and his pants around his ankles.

I don't necessarily mind the limitations on media -- but my tactic would be to court the local reporters and tell the national media (esp ESPN) to back off. The local guys are, at least for a new head coach, heavy shapers of perception. A 6-10 year can look like one to build on, or a stinking failure -- in large part due to what gets written about you.

ESPN has been hoping for Tebow v2.0 since the butt-fumble has aged and our man Tim has ridden off into the sunset, leadership skills in hand. I wouldn't give them the time of day because they are hardly interested in anything that doesn't fit the prevailing narrative.

To add: from the Silver article:

The dude is going to show up, suck the air out of theBrowns' training facility and fight with everything he has to stand out as the team's best quarterback -- and, ultimately, to rally his teammates behind him in the pursuit of greatness. That's the way this young man is wired; that's the reason he became Johnny Football in the first place.

He'll fight with everything he has, but if a few scouts including those of the Pats are to be believed, everything he has will not include full knowledge of the playbook or intense film study.

I'm still not buying that this kid will be great. He'll need to be led by hand to get there in the NFL. He may be able to improvise his way to some success, but teams figure out new QBs in short order and defenses will not be sleeping on his film.

Edited by RuntheDamnBall

It has been kind of slammed here locally on how the Browns are handling it. They come across as amateurs. They are handling it completely opposite of how a team which drafted a QB in the 1st round and does not have say, Brett Favre, already there. Brian Hoyer and Tyler Thigpen? Really? Farmer said yesterday that Hoyer is significantly better than Manziel at this point, they keep trashing him in the media. It appears they feel they need to do this motivate him to work hard, which to me is a warning sign. If you want to draft Bortles and sit him for the year, fine. They intend for him to be the franchise QB. You want a vet backup in place to help your new QB? fine. But giving him 3rd team reps behind Thigpen? Come on.

I respect your opinion but see things differently.

Interestingly, the 2013 Buffalo Bills had a new GM, a new Head Coach, a rookie QB, less experience at backup than the Browns have right now and I never saw the type of ridicule and critique from the media that we see now....so what's the difference?? Why are the "experts" now in attack mode calling the Browns amateurish and "worrisome".....because their feelings were hurt. The Gordon thing was not a FO problem (the kid violated the rules), they drafted a CB and a QB, resigned some free agents and were the talk of the NFL immediately after the draft. The narrative changed once Pettine decided to close the doors on the national "experts" for three days and all of a sudden, the Browns are mismanaged and led by a bunch of rubes. Lesson to be learned: Don't ever offend the national experts.

Edited by BringBackFergy

Just allow me to vent for a second. I was listening to various sports talk shows over the weekend and I can't believe how incredibly whiney these journalists are when it came to the Cleveland Browns' rookie camp. So Mike Pettine and the GM decided to limit media, cameras, interviews, etc. for whatever reason (mostly due to Johnny Football I imagine). They really need to relax and step back for a second. They will have plenty of time covering Manziel when training camp starts. They sound like a bunch of brat kids in the grocery store when their mom says they can't have a Snicker's bar at checkout. They are not "entitled" to be there for every snap, every pass, every mistake (unless I am missing something in the NFL rulebook). They are given access at the discretion of the team. The Browns decided to limit the circus and the media needs to respect that and move on. Stop crying about it.

I think this is a great illustration on just how obsessive media coverage is when it comes to pro football.

Also, you are the team's Plan J at head coach. Not saying Pettine can't be a good one, but the team is asking him to do it with one hand behind his back and his pants around his ankles.

I don't necessarily mind the limitations on media -- but my tactic would be to court the local reporters and tell the national media (esp ESPN) to back off. The local guys are, at least for a new head coach, heavy shapers of perception. A 6-10 year can look like one to build on, or a stinking failure -- in large part due to what gets written about you.

ESPN has been hoping for Tebow v2.0 since the butt-fumble has aged and our man Tim has ridden off into the sunset, leadership skills in hand. I wouldn't give them the time of day because they are hardly interested in anything that doesn't fit the prevailing narrative.

To add: from the Silver article:

He'll fight with everything he has, but if a few scouts including those of the Pats are to be believed, everything he has will not include full knowledge of the playbook or intense film study.

I'm still not buying that this kid will be great. He'll need to be led by hand to get there in the NFL. He may be able to improvise his way to some success, but teams figure out new QBs in short order and defenses will not be sleeping on his film.

To be fair, I do think that is what the Browns are trying to do (except for the rigid security in allowing them in during rookie camp). Since then they had a big media day a couple days ago with a bunch of local reporters/radio personalities who got to watch Mini camp live and take their own photos and video. I think it was just the rookie camp that they had on lockdown. They are still playing it very rigid with national media with Manzeil but Pettine and Farmer are making the rounds on NFLN, ESPN radio, etc. What I find so fascinating is how much they are trying to downplay Manziel. This is a guy who they traded up to draft in the 1st round. They must like him, a lot. Yet they act like they only brought him in for competition for Brian Hoyer. If you listen to any of the Farmer, Pettine interviews or some of the local shows who interpret their words/actions, they do not think Manziel will play this year unless Hoyer (and maybe Thigpen) are hurt. They said he is nowhere near ready to play in the NFL. That Hoyer is significantly better than Manzeil at this point. Manzeil has never seen a playbook in college and needs to get used to that. OK - but they needed a QB and they took one. They traded up to get him. Are we really supposed to believe that Manziel is not a better option to win that Hoyer and Thigpen? A 1st round talent vs UDFA/7th rd pick who have little experience as starters and switch teams every year? They have already acted like they aren't in win-now mode anyway, so just play the kid! Why did they pick him if they don't want to play him? JMO. Edited by YoloinOhio

OK - but they needed a QB and they took one. They traded up to get him. Are we really supposed to believe that Manziel is not a better option to win that Hoyer and Thigpen? A 1st round talent vs UDFA/7th rd pick who have little experience as starters and switch teams every year? They have already acted like they aren't in win-now mode anyway, so just play the kid! Why did they pick him if they don't want to play him? JMO.

I think it should be possible for a team to take a chance on a player's potential without feeling forced to throw him to the wolves. There's a split opinion on whether it's better to start a QB before he's ready to give him experience or let him sit so he isn't destroyed. Peyton Manning vs Aaron Rodgers to name successful versions of both. In this case, I think sitting Manziel is without a doubt the best move. If there was ever a QB that needed time to adjust his game (hell, is whole life) to the NFL, it's JM. If I were Pettine, I wouldn't let everyone's brow beating over him being a 1st round pick (and the failure on the Brown's part that implies) and do things however he thinks best.

I think it should be possible for a team to take a chance on a player's potential without feeling forced to throw him to the wolves. There's a split opinion on whether it's better to start a QB before he's ready to give him experience or let him sit so he isn't destroyed. Peyton Manning vs Aaron Rodgers to name successful versions of both. In this case, I think sitting Manziel is without a doubt the best move. If there was ever a QB that needed time to adjust his game (hell, is whole life) to the NFL, it's JM. If I were Pettine, I wouldn't let everyone's brow beating over him being a 1st round pick (and the failure on the Brown's part that implies) and do things however he thinks best.

It appears he is setting it up now for the fans that he will not play so that no one is upset when that happens. Should be an interesting summer.

It appears he is setting it up now for the fans that he will not play so that no one is upset when that happens. Should be an interesting summer.

It's a good idea, but it won't work. The Browns are a bad team and they are going to need a couple years to turn things around. First bad game by Hoyer and the fans and media will be calling for Manziel.

But hey, he (Pettine) has to try I guess.

yes, but you can flip that on its head as well.

the browns limiting access to their rookie minicamp is now a story.. is this story bigger than if there was some footage of manziel throwing 20 passes with the headline "browns open camp to rookies"? i think it is. they are the villains now, for better or worse, with mystery surrounding them and their gun slinging quarterback.

but he's the "backup" right?

jw

Gee, thanks.

your welcome.

jw

I think this is a great illustration on just how obsessive media coverage is when it comes to pro football.

ummmm, right. it's the media's obsession. some of us in the media make fun of the overzealous fans who make a big deal of the schedule coming out and the unveiling of new uniforms, which i oddly find to be incidental to winning. and yet, when it comes to access to seeing actual players practicing the actual game that they're going to play, this is where the "fans" draw the line. good for you.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

It has been kind of slammed here locally on how the Browns are handling it. They come across as amateurs. They are handling it completely opposite of how a team which drafted a QB in the 1st round and does not have say, Brett Favre, already there. Brian Hoyer and Tyler Thigpen? Really? Farmer said yesterday that Hoyer is significantly better than Manziel at this point, they keep trashing him in the media. It appears they feel they need to do this motivate him to work hard, which to me is a warning sign. If you want to draft Bortles and sit him for the year, fine. They intend for him to be the franchise QB. You want a vet backup in place to help your new QB? fine. But giving him 3rd team reps behind Thigpen? Come on.

Yolo is completely correct. Throw in the owner saying that Hoyer is a significantly better QB than Manziel and you have a total clown show in Cleveland. This public "taming" of Manziel (who hasn't made a peep in camp anyway) is proof that Pettine has no idea what he's doing as HC--already.

Everyone gets it--you don't want to get the hype to be damaging or the expectations to be too high (they certainly already understand the significance of their new HC being the teams 5th choice for the job) or unrealistic. But give the starving fans something to be excited about.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Yolo is completely correct. Throw in the owner saying that Hoyer is a significantly better QB than Manziel and you have a total clown show in Cleveland. This public "taming" of Manziel (who hasn't made a peep in camp anyway) is proof that Pettine has no idea what he's doing as HC--already.

Everyone gets it--you don't want to get the hype to be damaging or the expectations to be too high (they certainly already understand the significance of their new HC being the teams 5th choice for the job) or unrealistic. But give the starving fans something to be excited about.

I still respectfully disagree with both of you. The Jags and Raiders are in the same boat (Jags more than Raiders) and you don't hear the vitriolic chorus of how the Jags are worrisome or deficient. I believe the negativity directed at the Browns is due to the rookie camp closeout...nothing more. Of course they won't come out and say that but I once again question how the "applause" one day after the draft turned into criticism after Pettine closed the doors on rookie camp. Coincidence?? I think not.

It's a good idea, but it won't work. The Browns are a bad team and they are going to need a couple years to turn things around. First bad game by Hoyer and the fans and media will be calling for Manziel.

But hey, he (Pettine) has to try I guess.

This is the problem with the win now mentality of fans fanned by the media . Drives me nuts. Not really fans any more so much as unsatisfied customers. Sorry for the rant but wtf ?

Not sure how the head coach is the guy who manipulates the perception. Isn't that above his role.

But you are right , let the fans have some fun . They certainly deserve it

ala Bills 2014

I still respectfully disagree with both of you. The Jags and Raiders are in the same boat (Jags more than Raiders) and you don't hear the vitriolic chorus of how the Jags are worrisome or deficient. I believe the negativity directed at the Browns is due to the rookie camp closeout...nothing more. Of course they won't come out and say that but I once again question how the "applause" one day after the draft turned into criticism after Pettine closed the doors on rookie camp. Coincidence?? I think not.

Trying to control the media to ones own end is a recipe for trouble . Browns should have an inkling by now in thos area