Report: Bills attempted to trade up for Carlos Hyde

really???

Because when I watch Hyde I think of Bo Jackson and Eddie George. Nice college careers and absolutely dominating in the pros.

When exactly did Eddie George dominate in the pros? He only averaged over 4 yards a carry twice and only had one really good year rushing for 1500 yards but even that was a little misleading as he only averaged 3.7 a carry.

I like Hyde but let's not get carried away here

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When exactly did Eddie George dominate in the pros? He only averaged over 4 yards a carry twice and only had one really good year rushing for 1500 yards but even that was a little misleading as he only averaged 3.7 a carry.

I like Hyde but let's not get carried away here

EG was a monster in the pros. He was physically dominant and overpowered defenses. If you didn't see that, I'm not sure what EG you were watching.

Regardless of being carried away or not... MY OPINION is that Hyde will be the next big name RB in the league.

i love cj, but if our first three picks had been sammy watkins, cyrus kouandjio, and carlos hyde i would be so very full of koolaid right now

freddy is the man, but i think he's got at most one good year left. a hyde/spiller backfield sounds like the perfect combination

i love cj, but if our first three picks had been sammy watkins, cyrus kouandjio, and carlos hyde i would be so very full of koolaid right now

freddy is the man, but i think he's got at most one good year left. a hyde/spiller backfield sounds like the perfect combination

im right there too. Would be 3 sure starters for years to come. And damn good ones too.

Amen

Could NOT disagree more. If nothing else, Chan used Spiller to perfection IMO, and Hackett just seems to have him slam up

in between the tackles. What the heck is that???

I totally agree, Chan did utilize Spiller in his time much much better then Hackett did last year. But then you need to realize that Chan also had Fitz slinging the ball all over so often like he was Tom Brady, and mostly ran Spiller out of shotgun when they weren't expecting the run. I also think Gailey had a better line briefly with Levitre, Glenn, and Wood... when he wasn't on IR.

Spiller is not an every down, pound it up the middle type back, and he never will be. His skill set is more suited to get the ball in space, and not getting tackled in the backfield like he was so often last season. So, what does that tell you about Nate Hackett as an OC? It looks to me like he is a guy who wants players to fit his system rather then building a scheme around the talent of his players.

Then you couple in the factors that the QB's were all rookies, and the OC / HC were both NFL rookies along with CJ battling a notoriously debilitating high ankle sprain, as it just wasn't a good year for the star RB. Now factor in Bryce Brown from the Eagles, and the fact the Bills tried to obtain Carlos Hyde it looks like the writing is on the wall for CJ the same way it was for Stevie. This season Spiller will be auditioning for his new team, JMO.

Edited by FeartheLosing

If we do let CJ go after the season, it will be thoroughly disappointing in the sense that he will be yet another 1st round pick to walk without us getting much of a return on the five year investment. Since the 90s, we seem to have a penchant (when we don't outright whiff on a pick) for drafting quality skill players when the rest of the team is in no shape for said player to lift us out of our rut. We've drafted very few foundational players in the 1st round upon whom we could shape the team. It's like we draft the icing when the cake isn't done baking. And now that the team finally appears poised to realistically compete for the postseason, we have a carrot cake roster, and CJ is a delicious chocolate buttercream icing, not cream cheese.

That said, if EJ makes the strides that most of us hope he will, the mid-to-late second round appears to be a nice spot to draft our flavor of RB, at least the way the draft has gone in recent years. Our cake seems to finally be done. Time to ice it.

The problem with this arguement is Freddie doesn't get caught with all those <2 yard runs. So I find it hard to fault the OL as the primary culprit.

I dunno about primary culprit, but I do think the run blocking of our OL last year had an impact.

FJ has always had the ability to keep going and get 3 yards out of nothing with opposing defenders draped over him like party streamers. He's the little engine that could, OL or no OL. He does better with OL help.

CJ is always looking for the big play, and if he doesn't see the holes inside he tries to bounce it out, which doesn't work as often in the NFL as it did in college. He only just absorbed the message to be patient and wait for his holes, in time to see them disappear with the departure of Levitre and Corey Mac, who did an under appreciated job blocking for Spiller in 2012.

I have high hopes that an improved OL will be helpful to Spiller next year. As someone put it, if he could only minimize the 0 or negative yardage plays, he'd be much more effective and helpful to the offense.

I have hopes

Spiller, not Hackett, was responsible for his regression. Sorry, but you're flat out wrong.

I would say it was a combo of both, they did a bad job of scheming towards his strengths and then there were times Spiller just didn't execute.