False Reasoning regarding trading 2015 pick

How many times do we hear the false statement " Do not trade the 2015 1st pick because thats our insurance in case EJ Manuel turns out not to be the guy".

This assumes that the ONLY way to obtain a QB is via rookie QB in the draft - FALSE

Some QB's not drafted by current team - signed as FA or via trade

Denver - qb Peyton Manning not thru draft

Bears - qb Jay Cutler

KC - qb Alex Smith

Saints - qb Drew Brees

Raiders - qb Matt Schaub

Cards - qb Carson Palmer

Veterans can be obtained and can perform well especially when put on a team with plenty of weapons....

How many times do we hear the false statement " Do not trade the 2015 1st pick because thats our insurance in case EJ Manuel turns out not to be the guy".

And who do we hear this from? fans? For the record, I agree with your post regarding veteran QB's. But just because fans are saying next years first is insurance, doesn't factor at all in this years draft...

Edited by ricojes

This assumes that the ONLY way to obtain a QB is via rookie QB in the draft - FALSE

Bears - qb Jay Cutler

KC - qb Alex Smith

Saints - qb Drew Brees

Raiders - qb Matt Schaub

Cards - qb Carson Palmer

Veterans can be obtained and can perform well especially when put on a team with plenty of weapons....

Not only that, but it assumes the pick would be high enough/postioned properly to actually obtain the "sure thing" EJ replacement. Chances are we aren't drafting top 10, never mind top 5, which is what we would need to get a "sure thing" EJ replacement.

And this is about the time when we hear the "Russel Wilson, Colin Kaepernick, Andy Dalton weren't taken high" argument.... :rolleyes:

....which....

if the person making that argument understood that 2/3 of them weren't taken with a 1st(Wilson was taken in the 3rd, and Kaepernick in the 2nd)...

they would recognize that both our 2nd and 3rd are available to us next year, because we didn't trade them. :lol::wallbash: Perhaps losing next year's 4th is the real problem! :lol:

(Example of unmitigated moron who makes this model "have it both ways" argument: Howard Simon this very morning :lol:)

Edited by OCinBuffalo

to be fair, a lot of those guys did cost draft picks still.

To be fair - quick hitter examples

Peyton Manning - free

Drew Brees - free

Kurt Warner - free

Michael Vick - free

Brett Favre - 3rd rd pick

The point is every year quality veterans become available for various reasons injury/salary cap/ etcc - and often can have success when choosing a good situation to jump into such is the situation Whaley is creating

Pish tosh! Utter hogwash! The ONLY way to get a solid quarterback is in the first round. Just look at Tom Brady!

In all seriousness, win now, man! Get your guy and go do it! Forget the future. Counting on an early first round pick every year is a loser's mentality. I'm excited about Watkins and can't wait to see him do great things for us.

Edited by jimmyo

Bears - qb Jay Cutler

KC - qb Alex Smith

Saints - qb Drew Brees

Raiders - qb Matt Schaub

Cards - qb Carson Palmer

I was thinking the same thing. FA QBs are pretty decent next year as well.

And who do we hear this from? fans? For the record, I agree with your post regarding veteran QB's. But just because fans are saying next years first is insurance, doesn't factor at all in this years draft...

a lot of the talking heads were saying this on TV. That this trade means they are all in on EJ because they won't have a first next year to use on a QB if he turns out to be a bust this season.

I am not as worried. sucks to lose a 1st rounder, but if this gets us to the playoffs, I will be happy with it.

I could not agree anymore with this sentiment. If EJ sucks, with the glutton of talent now on this team, we would not be in a position to roll the dice on another rookie QB and wait for him to develop as well. If it becomes clear that it's not happening for EJ, 2015 is when you go out and get a Tony Romo or a Jay Cutler, etc.

this crossed my mind around dinner time last night and made me okay by the time we actually traded away the top pick... -ha

Bears - qb Jay Cutler

KC - qb Alex Smith

Saints - qb Drew Brees

Raiders - qb Matt Schaub

Cards - qb Carson Palmer

What is interesting to me regarding this list - they were all drafted high in the first round by their original team. You are correct though there are ways to get a qb other than the draft.