Teacher prohibits student from reading bible during 'free time&#39

from the link

The district said notice has already been given but insists the Bible reading in question took place when the kids were supposed to be reading from a specific list of books.

"It's an accelerated reading program," said spokesperson Cathy Brennan. "During that program, students may choose books from an area and depending on the difficulty level of the book, students earn points."

> he'd been told repeatedly not to do it

> he could read it in school before class, during lunch and after class.

Then why did Broward School Superintendent Robert Runcie apologize as in post #36 above? Once again you jump into a thread without reading it and make comments that make you look foolish. Don't you ever learn?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is still some dispute over whether or not it was "free reading time" or "assigned reading time, but the Superintendent clearly states that the teacher was at fault.

Please take note of her voice mail left for the family........... “I noticed that he has a book — a religious book — in the classroom. He’s not permitted to read those books in my classroom.”

Another account:

Broward schools’ Runcie says Bible controversy ‘should’ve been handled differently’

Broward Schools Superintendent Robert Runcie on Tuesday publicly apologized to a fifth-grade student who says his teacher wouldn’t let him read his Bible in class, with the superintendent saying “this is a situation that should’ve been handled differently.”

“This does not represent the values of our school system,” Runcie said. “This was a isolated incident at the school.”

{snip}

The family of 12-year-old Giovanni Rubeo says their child wasn’t allowed to read his Bible during “free reading” class periods that gave students the option of reading any book they wished. The Broward school district disputes this version of events, and says the boy wasn’t allowed to read the Bible because there was an “accelerated reading” program taking place.

Had there been a “free reading” session going on, Broward officials say the Bible would have been permitted. Rubeo is a student at Park Lakes Elementary in Lauderdale Lakes.

In his comments on Tuesday, Runcie said administrators at Park Lakes — and schools across the district — are being reminded that the Bible is permitted during free reading sessions. Students are also allowed to read their Bibles before and after school starts, and during lunch.

A voicemail left by Giovanni’s teacher last month further fueled the controversy. A recording of the message, which was left for Giovanni’s father, includes the teacher stating “I noticed that he has a book — a religious book — in the classroom. He’s not permitted to read those books in my classroom.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/05/06/4101611/broward-schools-runcie-says-bible.html#storylink=cpy

Then why did Broward School Superintendent Robert Runcie apologize as in post #36 above? Once again you jump into a thread without reading it and make comments that make you look foolish. Don't you ever learn?

Because the teacher handled it wrong by saying the kid was not allowed to read those books in his classroom. If the little cry baby was in fact reading his bible at a time he was supposed to be reading something else he was wrong. And if singling him out in front of the class hurts his little feelings he's going to have a hard time in life.

Tell him to close the book and read the assigned books. If he refuses and tries to make issue remove him from the classroom and send him to the principals office.

He had no business reading it when he was supposed to be working.

Tell him to close the book and read the assigned books. If he refuses and tries to make issue remove him from the classroom and send him to the principals office.

Because that's mean and it would embarrass little Giovanni.

excuse me for not saying that she handled it in the most appropriate way or not

"First, let me apologize to the student and his family. This was a situation that should have been handled differently," Runcie said at Tuesday's School Board meeting. "It does not represent the values of our school system. Let me be clear. Broward County Public Schools respects and upholds the right to bring personal religious material to school, including the Bible."

did his apology say anything about reading books in the curriculum vs personal preferences in the specified time?

Care to comment to Chef and jboyst like you replied to me?

they basically said what I said except that I didn't say she handled it right or wrong.

Because the teacher handled it wrong by saying the kid was not allowed to read those books in his classroom. If the little cry baby was in fact reading his bible at a time he was supposed to be reading something else he was wrong. And if singling him out in front of the class hurts his little feelings he's going to have a hard time in life.

He had no business reading it when he was supposed to be working.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

excuse me for not saying that she handled it in the most appropriate way or not

"First, let me apologize to the student and his family. This was a situation that should have been handled differently," Runcie said at Tuesday's School Board meeting. "It does not represent the values of our school system. Let me be clear. Broward County Public Schools respects and upholds the right to bring personal religious material to school, including the Bible."

did his apology say anything about reading books in the curriculum vs personal preferences in the specified time?

Care to comment to Chef and jboyst like you replied to me?

they basically said what I said except that I didn't say she handled it right or wrong.

No, I respect the fact that they might have different opinions based on being knowledgeable about the facts as we know them. You, on the other hand have never shown that you knew anything about what you were shooting your mouth off about. There's a distinct difference between your posting and their posting.

yeah, and we are all knowledgeable that you have a bug up your :censored: and can't resist being a D-bag when replying to me

It's your posts. You invariably get things wrong, but are too stoned or have lost too many brain cells to know the difference. Just look at your recent post (s) in the pot thread.

3rd ignores my posts. The words too hard for him to understand. And no one but an idiot takes time to read Chefs posts.

Don't take it personally.

Do you know why I ignore your posts? They are too hard to understand when you put sentences together without all the words.

Do you know why I ignore your posts? They are too hard to understand when you put sentences together without all the words.

typing a phone or tablet is pain the ass cutting words out is very.

A new twist to the story. Go to the link for the letter.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/05/14/Broward-County-Schools-Caught-Lying-About-Bible-Ban-Faces-Lawsuit

Updating our previous story about a fifth grader told by his teacher he could not read his Bible during free time, school lawyers for Broward County Public Schools have now gotten involved and changed their story.

They now say that the time in question is not free reading time, but instead Accelerated Reader Program time. During this period, students can only read certain approved books, and the Bible is not among them. Hence, Broward County Public Schools will continue banning the Bible.

However, Liberty Institute lawyer Jeremy Dys investigated the program. He reports that contrary to the school's claim, almost all of the Bible's 66 books are approved for the Accelerated Reader Program.

The boy's lawyers are demanding the school lift the ban by May 19 or face a federal lawsuit for violating the First Amendment.

Liberty Institute's letter to Broward County Public Schools can be read in its entirety below:

• 1 month later...