Ebron, Donald or trade down

I'm done with my draft research and I'm laying my cards on the table...

Eric Ebron is my first choice. Why? Simply because the Bills picked EJ Manuel last year and I'm convinced that there is no one in this draft who would help Manuel's progression (easily the highest priority of this franchise) into a franchise QB more than Eric Ebron. I think he would become EJ Manuel's "Andre Reed" for the hopefully coming and long awaited renewed Bills' Superbowl run era. The drops and blocking are things that can be ironed out with good coaching IMO. Ebron is a freakish talent who's production I think will end up being greater than Vernon Davis' and a notch below Jimmy Graham's. This pick in my mind has always been so meant to be for this franchise that there's no need to outsmart themselves unless something crazy happens like Watkins or Robinson are still there.

Aaron Donald is my second choice. Why? Because it's become very clear to me that the only reason he's not being drafted top 5 is because he's two inches shorter and 10 lb. lighter than what the experts think he should be. That's silly. The guy is an impactful defensive player and the Bills' DL will have their hands full going against the Pats' and Jets' balanced run/pass offenses. The Seahawks and the Giants have recently showed you what a great penetrating defense can get you.

Last option if available of course, trading back with a team to the early 20s for an extra 2nd. Who'd I hope to pick? 1st rd, Marqise Lee WR or Kelvin Benjamin WR / 2nd rd, Carlos Hyde RB / 2nd rd, Richardson RT. Lee and Woods back together again for a solid tandem of WRs…or the giant Benjamin and Manuel back together. I'd also try to trade Spiller and/or Stevie for next years draft picks or perhaps to even maneuver in this draft. There are not enough balls to go around with WR and RB being added anyways. I should be able to get a pretty good RT prospect with that second 2nd rd pick and also Hyde is a big back who can make his own holes.

There's no way I'm trading up and there's no way I'm taking a RT not named Robinson in the 1st round.

I'm done with my draft research and I'm laying my cards on the table...

Eric Ebron is my first choice. Why? Simply because the Bills picked EJ Manuel last year and I'm convinced that there is no one in this draft who would help Manuel's progression (easily the highest priority of this franchise) into a franchise QB more than Eric Ebron. I think he would become EJ Manuel's "Andre Reed" for the hopefully coming and long awaited renewed Bills' Superbowl run era. The drops and blocking are things that can be ironed out with good coaching IMO. Ebron is a freakish talent who's production I think will end up being greater than Vernon Davis' and a notch below Jimmy Graham's. This pick in my mind has always been so meant to be for this franchise that there's no need to outsmart themselves unless something crazy happens like Watkins or Robinson are still there.

Aaron Donald is my second choice. Why? Because it's become very clear to me that the only reason he's not being drafted top 5 is because he's two inches shorter and 10 lb. lighter than what the experts think he should be. That's silly. The guy is an impactful defensive player and the Bills' DL will have their hands full going against the Pats' and Jets' balanced run/pass offenses. The Seahawks and the Giants have recently showed you what a great penetrating defense can get you.

Last option if available of course, trading back with a team to the early 20s for an extra 2nd. Who'd I hope to pick? 1st rd, Marqise Lee WR or Kelvin Benjamin WR / 2nd rd, Carlos Hyde RB / 2nd rd, Richardson RT. Lee and Woods back together again for a solid tandem of WRs…or the giant Benjamin and Manuel back together. I'd also try to trade Spiller and/or Stevie for next years draft picks or perhaps to even maneuver in this draft. There are not enough balls to go around with WR and RB being added anyways. I should be able to get a pretty good RT prospect with that second 2nd rd pick and also Hyde is a big back who can make his own holes.

There's no way I'm trading up and there's no way I'm taking a RT not named Robinson in the 1st round.

I like the trade down option. I don't like the idea of Ebron. A no-block TE that hasn't demonstrated that he is a significant scoring threat in the red-zone is nothing more than a WR - and I prefer several WRs in this draft to Ebron in that capacity.

If they pick Ebron, I'll hope that he pans out into a good offensive weapon, but I would rather let another team take that risk.

Edited by OldTimer1960

I like the trade down option. I don't like the idea of Ebron. A no-block TE that hasn't demonstrated that he is a significant scoring threat in the red-zone is nothing more than a WR - and I prefer several WRs in this draft to Ebron in that capacity.

If they pick Ebron, I'll hope that he pans out into a good offensive weapon, but I would rather let another team take that risk.

+ 1

Too many WR options in 1st and 2nd rounds.

I am warming to Donald. We stay at #9 And Mathews is there he has to be the pick. We stay at 9 and Mathews/ Evans are gone I say go Donald and start him at Strong side DE.

Granted, Matthews will be a solid pro OL for a long time. However, in my opinion he will do little for Manuel's progression into a franchise QB. I rate both Ebron and Matthews on pretty much the same level. What Ebron lacks in the "solid and safe" department, he makes up for in the "greater impact" department. I'd take Robinson over Ebron, but not Matthews. I don't care who'd rip that decision. I need to expedite Manuel becoming a franchise QB and Matthews (regardless of his last name) IMO isn't a great enough OL talent to pass on my number one priority. Robinson would be the only one to do that.

Good article on why not to trade up this year. Trade down if anything.

If E.J. proves not to be the real deal, you still have a good team ready to get a nice QB and move forward.

http://espn.go.com/b...nd-with-15-pick

Interesting speculation.... which likely means it won't happen

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-path-to-the-draft/0ap2000000346315/Possible-draft-day-trades

I am warming to Donald. We stay at #9 And Mathews is there he has to be the pick. We stay at 9 and Mathews/ Evans are gone I say go Donald and start him at Strong side DE.

These are my thoughts as well. Although, and I probably will get flamed for this, but I think Zack Martin deserves consideration as well.

Trade back would be ideal, of course.

These are my thoughts as well. Although, and I probably will get flamed for this, but I think Zack Martin deserves consideration as well.

Trade back would be ideal, of course.

i actually like joe b's latest draft of zack martin followed by te troy niklas. in a trade down scenario i think i would try to grab the best mauler of an ot, niklas (like the size, attitude and potential) and best de, wr, lb, or db available in the first couple rounds. i like the versatility, ability and character of martin, sounds like he is a great teammate. but i feel very confident in whaley and his staff to identify talent, so more picks can't be a bad think.

I just don't see how Donald is even a possibility for the Bills at 9. He doesn't fill a need so he wouldn't start right away which is what you expect from a top ten pick and 9 is also too high for him.

Mathews is my first choice and Ebron is my second if they stay at 9.

Edited by Max997

Granted, Matthews will be a solid pro OL for a long time. However, in my opinion he will do little for Manuel's progression into a franchise QB. I rate both Ebron and Matthews on pretty much the same level. What Ebron lacks in the "solid and safe" department, he makes up for in the "greater impact" department. I'd take Robinson over Ebron, but not Matthews. I don't care who'd rip that decision. I need to expedite Manuel becoming a franchise QB and Matthews (regardless of his last name) IMO isn't a great enough OL talent to pass on my number one priority. Robinson would be the only one to do that.

Seriously dont understand the "little to improve Manuels progression" when your talking about a booking OT for years to come

This goes back to basic football 101

I think Donald is a excellent option for

- If the common sense guys of Evans or Mathews are gone

- A trade down option with say.....the giants who probably love him

Edited by John from Hemet

Seriously dont understand the "little to improve Manuels progression" when your talking about a booking OT for years to come

This goes back to basic football 101

I think Donald is a excellent option for

- If the common sense guys of Evans or Mathews are gone

- A trade down option with say.....the giants who probably love him

I truly believe that Manuel needs an easy #1 passing target more than a very good 1st round quality RT. Now if you are talking about Robinson then there is no question, I'd take the RT.

IMO picking the very good, but not great, Matthews is not worth saddling Manuel with Chandler, Woods, and the leftovers for his most important year. The Bills have to help provide a "liftoff" for Manuel who is still raw. He is not an "Andrew Luck" type who can turn nobody WRs into somebodies. He needs help or this franchise is back to dumping everybody including the QB, coaches and starting over. To me, having Matthews as our solid RT simply isn't worth putting that kind of pressure on a raw but talented QB like Manuel. I feel that the Bills will have the opportunity to pick a very good RT prospect with their 2nd round pick. They could possibly even trade up to the back end of the 1st rd to get the guy they want.

Obviously we're all entrenched by now on who we like and I fully realize that Ebron has become one of the more polarizing "love him, hate him" players in this draft. I'm not even down on many players that have been discussed here, I just have a strong view of getting Manuel to the franchise QB level as quickly as possible. "Batman" needs his "Robin" and I currently don't see him on this team.

I have Mathews rated higher than Robinson that is why he is my pick.

I have Mathews rated higher than Robinson that is why he is my pick.

Matthews is much more polished than is Robinson. Especially is pass protection. Robinson is just such a physical freak. Put them both on the field today, and I say Matthews is the more skilled OT. Down the road a bit, however, I think Robinson is the next Jonathan Ogden.

The Bills will reach for a player in round 1. Just like Manuel was a reach. We could have traded back twice more and still got EJ. If we trade back I would like to see us grab Shazier, LB from OSU.

Why when LB isn't a need and the team could use help at other more glaring areas

At least they didn't take Manuel at 8

Why draft a 3 technique DT when this team has its greatest strength at the position already?

Since the new CBA, there's been 8 trades within or to get into the top 10 picks. 6 of those were not made to pick a QB.

Question is, do you support EJ to take a blocker or a skill player? And then, are you willing to use future resources to do so? I think on the latter they are now that the Doug's backs are against the wall to win this year.

Why draft a 3 technique DT when this team has its greatest strength at the position already?

Since the new CBA, there's been 8 trades within or to get into the top 10 picks. 6 of those were not made to pick a QB.

Question is, do you support EJ to take a blocker or a skill player? And then, are you willing to use future resources to do so? I think on the latter they are now that the Doug's backs are against the wall to win this year.

I'm not convinced that is the case...Whaley said the last thing you want to do is show your hand...If the Bills trade up this year one thing is crystal clear...They showed their hand big time because everyone and their mother is saying they want to do so...

I think in the end the Doug's...and Brandon... are going to stick to their plan to best assure their future...And I doubt very much their plan ever called for giving up too much as far as Draft picks go...Both Whaley and Brandon were mentored by Nix, for better or worse, and it was not Buddy's philosophy to give up premium Draft picks...I certainly could be wrong, but I don't see these guys as the panic types...I think they would love to get their hands on Watkins or Evans, but I also think they understand you can't get em' all, and in the end if the top 8 does not fall your way there are FAR worse things then trading down a bit and picking up an extra 2nd or 3rd...I think they look at last year and see they landed one of the best young players in the league (Kiko) by scouting well and trading down...I think Brandon/Whaley/Marrone view the 2013 Draft as a great success and a HUGE step in the right direction...And I think when you have success doing things a certain way you stick to it...

So if anything, I would expect a trade down if Watkins and Evans are gone as expected...I think if the top OT's, Watkins, and Evans are gone, and they stay at #9 because they can't find a trading partner, they will go ahead and take Ebron because they feel he is the guy at that point that can help EJ most...In a trade down scenario I think they'll still be hoping for Ebron to slide a bit...But if not I expect Martin to be the target...I think the sleeper in a trade down situation will be Kouandjio assuming his knee checked out... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS