Drastically over valued players in this years draft -

Since Polian is saying to avoid Ebron, I hope the Bills pass on him.

Ah yes, the well known and respected GM who was exposed during the 2011 season for his very long stretch of bad Colt drafts and subsequently fired. It's 2014 and still no job offer yet? Sorry, but in no way do I trust what Polian has to say about any player. Maybe 15-20 years ago, but not today. He clearly just coasted as a GM a few years after drafting Peyton Manning. If you want an old school guy who is current and knows what he's talking about then go to Gil Brandt.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah yes, the well known and respected GM who was exposed during the 2011 season for his very long stretch of bad Colt drafts and subsequently fired. It's 2014 and still no job offer yet? Sorry, but in no way do I trust what Polian has to say about any player. Maybe 15-20 years ago, but not today. He clearly just coasted as a GM a few years after drafting Peyton Manning. If you want an old school guy who is current and knows what he's talking about then go to Gil Brandt.

I think that you have to consider that the Colts were picking late most years when Polian was in charge. Picking late accomplished exactly what the draft is supposed to do - give the weaker teams first shot at the available talent. Picking at the end of round 1 is close to not really having a first round pick - picks 28+ are closer to the second round than they are the beginning of round 1.

I would not completely dismiss what Polian has to say.

With regards to Polian - I think he is still very relevant. I do like his intel, interesting in that he has said, does not like OT's early in the draft, and he will always make the safe pick over a risky "upside" type player...

With regards to Polian - I think he is still very relevant. I do like his intel, interesting in that he has said, does not like OT's early in the draft, and he will always make the safe pick over a risky "upside" type player...

His philosophy early in the draft is to draft players that score touchdowns and players that prevent them.

I have to agree with C.Biscuit97 on this one.

Duke? Really? You act like that's some major accomplishment.

Duke played 14 games last year. Of those 14, Duke held the other team to under 300 yards exactly 3 times.

6 teams scored 30 or more points against Duke.

Troy (frigging TROY!) put up 31 points and 362 yards against Duke.

Pittsburgh: 58 points and 598 yards.

Duke's football team scares nobody.

In the same respect wouldn't that make another offensive player in Jake Matthews overrated? The same thing can be said when guys are labeled system players. A&M had Joeckul taken 2nd last year. Matthews will be a top 10 pick this year. Ogebehui will be a top 10 pick next year.

With that said I don't think Matthews is over-valued. I think he's the best OT in the draft and Robinson is over-valued. Still wouldn't touch either in the 1st rd. Then again I wouldn't touch any offensive lineman in the 1st.

I think that you have to consider that the Colts were picking late most years when Polian was in charge. Picking late accomplished exactly what the draft is supposed to do - give the weaker teams first shot at the available talent. Picking at the end of round 1 is close to not really having a first round pick - picks 28+ are closer to the second round than they are the beginning of round 1.

I would not completely dismiss what Polian has to say.

Where were Polian's tough "he's too immature" comments on guys like Evans and Lewan? Two guys who have provided actual proof of immaturity? Those comments were so mean-spirited, tough and out of left field that I have a suspicion he may be trying helping out his buddy Jim Caldwell in Detroit who by many accounts really like Ebron.

If Polian's talking about his ego and cockiness, well I have no problem with Ebron on that account. This Bills team needs some players who are willing to exude confidence in their game. There are way too many wall flowers on this team and I would hope that Ebron's cockiness and confidence would rub off on some of the other players.

For me, Polian no longer has any cred whatsoever.

Edited by 1billsfan

This might be true...but Mike Evans has the look and feel of Stephan Hill. Just ask the Jets how that worked out. Hill didn't even have the numbers to back him, just the physical intangibles. I think Evans has the same intangibles and was played up by Johnnie extending plays.

I can't disagree more, Stephen Hill is a taller TJ Graham, the comparison to Vincent Jackson are pretty spot on..

Mike Evans will be a star in this league.

Anthony Barr is not a 2nd round project...if you question that statement, look at the last few drafts (see Bruce Irvin, ziggy et cetera)..every year players with potential get drafted round one (every player is just potential at this point) and Ebron will be a pro bowler...mark my words.

His philosophy early in the draft is to draft players that score touchdowns and players that prevent them.

The Bills have a pretty strong record over the last decade of drafting players that prevent touchdowns. Unfortunately, most of them are on Offense.

Fixed it for you.

Without Evans, Johnnie Football is not a potential first rounder, IMHO.

Exactly.

This might be true...but Mike Evans has the look and feel of Stephan Hill. Just ask the Jets how that worked out. Hill didn't even have the numbers to back him, just the physical intangibles. I think Evans has the same intangibles and was played up by Johnnie extending plays.

Thank God you're not the Bills' GM.

Agree on Evans. I'd rather trade back and get Benjamin.

If you'd rather have Benjamin over Evans, then see the remarks just above.

Evans will be a stud in the NFL. I hope the Bills can land him.