OT/TE or TE/OT in first two rounds??

I think it totally depends on what happens at 1-8. That will determine both rounds for the Bills. They will select BPA in the first round and whatever postion they don't address in Rd 1,they will go after in RD 2. That could mean WR in 1st or T or TE or Safety. Whichever it is will lay the groundwork for the rest of the draft.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My issue was going OL/DE first two picks. This board is 100% in agreement that they need a RT within the first two picks. That includes me.

If they go OL/DE, like you suggested, then that would be a ballsy move since Manual has no #1 guy. He isn't Brady, he needs a great receiving threat added this year or this whole regime is in trouble IMO.

I don't think the situation is quite so dire. While they may not have an elite 'playmaker' at WR, and I'm not opposed to them adding one, I also look at this as a solid, capable group of WRs. Now the TE position? That IS a problem and has been for years, but I don't see this team making a big investment there. They've never shown an interest before.

As for the LDE position, I think they're going to want to make a significant addition to their run D in this draft. With limited options on the roster and with the positional value falling in the R2 area, that's where LDE makes the most sense to me. Clearly they could use a LB, too, but with Spikes and Alonso, and the fact that you're in nickel and dime packages so much, that third LB isn't as important as it might have been a decade ago. That can wait until round three or four. That leaves safety as the other potential defensive need, and the reason I think an elite run support safety like Calvin Pryor might be on their radar as well. But in some way, shape or form, I expect them to address their run defense in the first two rounds, and it may well be their only defensive pick this year.

I don't think the situation is quite so dire. While they may not have an elite 'playmaker' at WR, and I'm not opposed to them adding one, I also look at this as a solid, capable group of WRs. Now the TE position? That IS a problem and has been for years, but I don't see this team making a big investment there. They've never shown an interest before.

As for the LDE position, I think they're going to want to make a significant addition to their run D in this draft. With limited options on the roster and with the positional value falling in the R2 area, that's where LDE makes the most sense to me. Clearly they could use a LB, too, but with Spikes and Alonso, and the fact that you're in nickel and dime packages so much, that third LB isn't as important as it might have been a decade ago. That can wait until round three or four. That leaves safety as the other potential defensive need, and the reason I think an elite run support safety like Calvin Pryor might be on their radar as well. But in some way, shape or form, I expect them to address their run defense in the first two rounds, and it may well be their only defensive pick this year.

I think the Bills believe the lack of a #1 target is dire and are prepared to give EJ Manuel something that Dalton and Stafford have (and would be NFL backups by now if they didn't) by doing everything they need to make it happen. Everyone's job is on the line with Manual this year. A new owner is obviously coming in, and if Manual doesn't gain liftoff by the end of this season then everyone will probably be fired. I fully expect our pick to be Watkins, Evans or Ebron. Be prepared to see that 2nd round pick and possibly the 2015 1st rd pick go bye-bye. This bunch doesn't care very much about 2015 picks. It's probable that they feel the need to go all in for Manuel's progression into a franchise QB this season. If he does, then they will deal with the lack of picks through free agency in 2015. If he doesn't, they expect to all be gone I imagine.

Edited by 1billsfan

I think the Bills believe the lack of a #1 target is dire and are prepared to give EJ Manuel something that Dalton and Stafford have (and would be NFL backups by now if they didn't) by doing everything they need to make it happen. Everyone's job is on the line with Manual this year. A new owner is obviously coming in, and if Manual doesn't gain liftoff by the end of this season then everyone will probably be fired. I fully expect our pick to be Watkins, Evans or Ebron. Be prepared to see that 2nd round pick and possibly the 2015 1st rd pick go bye-bye. This bunch doesn't care very much about 2015 picks. It's probable that they feel the need to go all in for Manuel's progression into a franchise QB this season. If he does, then they will deal with the lack of picks through free agency in 2015. If he doesn't, they expect to all be gone I imagine.

Perfect!

It sounds like your entire philosophy towards this draft is based upon desperation and impending doom. If they're approaching it that way, I suspect it will become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

It sounds like your entire philosophy towards this draft is based upon desperation and impending doom. If they're approaching it that way, I suspect it will become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

It's not my philosophy, it's my read on the situation at OBD.

Perhaps it's desperate to give away a lot of picks for a #1 WR like Watkins, but if Manual looks like he's becoming a franchise QB this season then wouldn't those picks be well worth the price considering we haven't had one since Kelly.

It's not my philosophy, it's my read on the situation at OBD.

Perhaps it's desperate to give away a lot of picks for a #1 WR like Watkins, but if Manual looks like he's becoming a franchise QB this season then wouldn't those picks be well worth the price considering we haven't had one since Kelly.

I don't think it is. The resource allocation at that position would be enormous, and there are no guarantees of success. Just in this draft and the last one, we've already invested 2nd, 3rd and 6th round picks. Now, we're talking about two #1s and a #2 in addition to that. That's way too much, IMO, especially when your OL is falling apart, you can't stop the run defensively, and your QB could still go either way regardless of what you do with this pick.

Maybe if you can make that move up for a 3rd this year or 2nd next year, you consider it, but if the price is any steeper, I'd have to decline.

I don't think it is. The resource allocation at that position would be enormous, and there are no guarantees of success. Just in this draft and the last one, we've already invested 2nd, 3rd and 6th round picks. Now, we're talking about two #1s and a #2 in addition to that. That's way too much, IMO, especially when your OL is falling apart, you can't stop the run defensively, and your QB could still go either way regardless of what you do with this pick.

Maybe if you can make that move up for a 3rd this year or 2nd next year, you consider it, but if the price is any steeper, I'd have to decline.

I don't think I'd give up a lot of high picks in a trade up for Watkins. But if it did happened, I would feel excited with the understanding that they're putting their chips in the middle of the table that Sammy Watkins will turn Manuel into a franchise QB (like Green and Johnson did with Dalton and Stafford) and the Bills will finally make a playoff appearance.

One thing that's not being considered is the possibility the Bills will package Spiller and/or Stevie in a bid to trade with someone like the Raiders in a move up to get Watkins. The Raiders appear to be in a fast track rebuild mode. Something to think about.

I would trade both Spiller, SJ and the #9 pick move up to the Raiders #5 spot (for Watkins) with only one lower round pick as a "sweetener" if that were needed.

Edited by 1billsfan

If we go TE in round two I really think it needs to be Troy Niklas.

Has anyone seen his tape???

The guy is a beast and is hard to take down. He is just like Gronk.

Not to mention that he has great hands and has the perfect height and weight.

If we dont draft Niklas I will be very dissapointed watching him have an all star career on a team other than the Bills

CBF

Edited by Canadian Bills Fan

cf: http://en.wikipedia....ver,_born_1987)

010 season

On September 12, 2010 he made his NFL debut against the Cleveland Browns, making 5 receptions for 30 yards and a touchdown.[7] In his first pro season, Williams became the first Buccaneer rookie to score a touchdown in back-to-back games since Carnell Williams in 2005. On October 31st, 2010, Williams recorded first career 100-yard receiving game at Arizona, finishing with 105 yards on four receptions and a touchdown.

Williams started all 16 games as a rookie and had 65 receptions for 964 yards and 11 touchdowns.[8] His 11 touchdowns marked a new Buccaneers franchise record for most receiving touchdowns in a single season. After his great rookie season, Williams finished second in voting for AP Offensive Rookie of the Year, and was a finalist for the NFL Pepsi Rookie of the Year. He was also named to The Sporting News NFL All- Rookie Team and PFW/PFWA All-Rookie Team and led all rookie receivers in the NFL in yardage (964), receptions (65) and touchdowns (11) in 2010.

2011 season

In 2011, Williams took a step back as his reception yards and touchdowns went down. He was still an effective starter as he caught 68 passes for 771 yards.[9]

2012 season

He finished the 2012 season with a career high in reception yards with 996.[10]

2013 season

On July 24th it was reported that Williams had agreed to a new 6 year $40.25 million contract with the Buccaneers that will keep him in Tampa Bay through the 2018 season[11]

on October 28, 2013 the Bucs announced that they had placed Williams on injured reserve, ending his season and leaving the Buccaneers without one of their starting wideouts the rest of the way. Williams has been battling a hamstring injury for several weeks and finished the season with 22 catches for 216 yards and two touchdowns.[12]

Okay, he knows Marrone and Marrone knows him. I don't know what sort of love flows between them, but they gotta have each other's number by now. We got a guy who was the top or near the top rookie of the year at WR and was given a contract as a WR that was 9th among ALL WR's in the NFL. On the risk scale, the guy is about the same as any rookie, who has never played a second of NFL and who has never had to make the transition between a poor-boy living in college and having money coming out of his ears. Also, this guy (read what is written above) HAS BEEN a "go to guy" and "true #1. The Bucs but their money where their mouth was. For 2013 he would be the #8 cap hit wide receiver in the entire NFL. Maybe he needs a life lesson, getting dropped and coming back to Marrone (who has a history of not putting up with his scheiss) is just the ticket.

We are not going to spend a top 200 draft pick on a wide receiver. We may send out very minor smoke screens about doing so, in order to enrich trade down offers, but don't hold your breath. Williams is the improvement in the pass receiving corp. We don't need a tight end who is not a red zone threat and drops passes and can't block to "improve" the receiving and offer a deep threat.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

It seems like everyone pretty much agrees that there are only two legitimate needs: a RT and a big-play weapon for the passing game (either WR or TE). But from what I can tell, it seems like there's a pretty good chance of getting a long-term starter at RT in the 3rd round - OSU's Mewhort or the two guys from Tennessee for example.

So I say the plan should be to use one of the first two picks on the WR or TE and the other on the best defensive player available. In the 1st round that would be Watkins or Evans in the off chance one of them is there at #9 and if they aren't -either Aaron Donald, CJ Mosley or Eric Ebron. I'm personally not sold on Ebron but if Whaley, Marrone and company love him enough to take him 9th overall then I'd be all in.

I have two dream scenarios that I think are also pretty realistic, both having us take the best tackle available in the 3rd round. The first one would be Mike Evans falling to us at #9 then taking the best defensive player available in the 2nd (Crichton, Shazier, Roby, etc). I just love Mike Evans and I truly believe he's going to be a star. So getting him, a legit defensive starter and a starting right tackle would be a phenomenal draft.

My other (kind of realistic) dream scenario would be taking Aaron Donald in the 1st then either Seferian-Jenkins, Kelvin Benjamin, Cody Latimer or ideally Marqise Lee if he slides that far. We have two of the better DT's in the league so that's one of the least pressing needs but given the decent amount of depth all around, we can afford to try and turn our already very strong D-line into potentially the league's best.

My take is all three of the top OT's will be long gone by #9, and even Zack Martin might taken before #9 if only one QB gets taken.

BTW, Mike Mayock has Zack Martin ranked ahead of Lewan in his latest top 100.

Heh? So 4 offensive tackles and 4 other players? Mack, Clowney, and 2 WR's?