EJ Manuel Consults Big Names on how to Lead

But Mrags Kelly, Marino, Elway etal are exactly what we need EJ to be. With out that type of performance we can't get to let alone win a superbowl. Caepernick has it naturally and look where he has gotten SF, wilson too. Our guy is calling those young guys?

No offense but that scares the hell out of me. The #1 thing that bothers me about EJ was some article that came out last year where Marrone had to try and get him fired up. Something like he is too laid back. I am seriously wondering if we don't have a Todd Marinovich where he wanted to make it to the NFL Then when he did...

I like EJ, I liked the pick mostly, but this kid has yet to show me he can 1) Get pumped up about anything and get passionate, 2) stay healthy, 3) read defenses. #1 knock coming out was slow to read defenses and honestly guys we saw that all last year other than a couple big plays.

I do want to say this, Some fans say 'yeah but Capernick, Wilson, Rothlesberger etal are rare'. Well yeah, so was Jim Kelly but we had JK and that is the #1 Reason this team turned it around. We NEED a top end talent like those guys mentioned. I hope its EJ but I see a new owner telling Whaley to take a new QB next year.

There's a difference between reading defenses and trusting what he sees. And I've yet to see a rookie QB come into this league and set it on fire with regard to reading defenses and trusting what he sees with any consistency. It's just the nature of the beast.

What gives me some confidence moving forward is that both Hackett and Manuel had several games last year when they made halftime adjustments and exploited what they saw. That started in the first game of the year against N.E. and continued.

Missing more than 1/3 of his rookie season due to injury did more to retard his progress than anything else and it seems as though he's putting the work in to make up for that. That builds credibility and that's the cornerstone in becoming a leader. As to his being passionate, he sure looked passionate after leading the two minute O for the win against Carolina. He was amped and it looked infectious. I think that fire is there.

GO BILLS!!!

There's a difference between reading defenses and trusting what he sees. And I've yet to see a rookie QB come into this league and set it on fire with regard to reading defenses and trusting what he sees with any consistency. It's just the nature of the beast.

What gives me some confidence moving forward is that both Hackett and Manuel had several games last year when they made halftime adjustments and exploited what they saw. That started in the first game of the year against N.E. and continued.

Missing more than 1/3 of his rookie season due to injury did more to retard his progress than anything else and it seems as though he's putting the work in to make up for that. That builds credibility and that's the cornerstone in becoming a leader. As to his being passionate, he sure looked passionate after leading the two minute O for the win against Carolina. He was amped and it looked infectious. I think that fire is there.

GO BILLS!!!

all of this ^

Go Bills

Discuss, please:

Linky

1) a sign that news is freakin' slow this time of year and the papers are beating the bushes frantically to flush out articles?

2) a PR-savvy move by a young Bills QB desperate to be perceived as The Man

3) something every young NFL QB does, we just don't hear about it when the team is winning?

My take: on the one hand, I'm glad EJ is (at least by report) willing to accept mentoring and guidance. Far better this than a know-it-all Leaf or JaBustus.

On the gripping hand, I can't imagine Jim Kelly or Peyton Manning wandering the league with a lantern, looking for a better QB to show them how to be a leader.

Leadership in a fast-paced game is so complex, it's hard to define, we just know it when we see it.

1 and 3.

Interesting, you mentioned Peyton.

According to Peyton, every off season he seeks out a person or something to study to make himself a better QB.

He claims he has done it his entire football career.

This off season he sought out and talked to Nick Saban.

Linky.

Edited by Cynical

He can't screw up? Brace yourself then, because he's gonna screw up plenty of times, sometimes at the most inopportune moment.

GO BILLS!!!

No, he can't. -He can't and he will... I have no problem with EJ striving for perfection. He'll miss, but in the process, he might find excellence. I've always felt that EJ was the best QB in his draft. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the best circumstances. -A rookie head coach, and an OC that hasn't proven he can game plan for anything.

Amazingly, EJ is doing the right things. -He's seeking out information. Now he must do the OTHER things. -Study film. Observe what those cosidered "Greats" did, and synthesize what data he can from their success. Most importantly, EJ must reject the paralyzing properties of FEAR. Borrowing a page from the "Green Lantern", Fear is the enemy of will. And will is exactly what EJ must be able to impose on defenses come September.

No, he can't. -He can't and he will... I have no problem with EJ striving for perfection. He'll miss, but in the process, he might find excellence. I've always felt that EJ was the best QB in his draft. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the best circumstances. -A rookie head coach, and an OC that hasn't proven he can game plan for anything.

Amazingly, EJ is doing the right things. -He's seeking out information. Now he must do the OTHER things. -Study film. Observe what those cosidered "Greats" did, and synthesize what data he can from their success. Most importantly, EJ must reject the paralyzing properties of FEAR. Borrowing a page from the "Green Lantern", Fear is the enemy of will. And will is exactly what EJ must be able to impose on defenses come September.

We are very close to saying the same thing, I think.

Imposing your will on a defense begins with taking what it gives you first. EJ showed some good signs in that regard last year.

Biggest issue is consistency, as it is with any young player. That will come with maturation and the continued hard work he seems to be putting in. I've heard from a couple people how much of a film junkie he is. He's not afraid of the challenge so I don't think fear of failing on the field is gonna be a problem.

He's gonna screw up, every player does. The key to greatness is how you rebound from that. He's shown the ability to rebound nicely. I'd never ask or even expect my QB to be perfect. I'd expect him to figure it out and live to make another play. And on those days where nothing is going right (and that happens to ALL athletes), I'd expect him to find other ways to help his team.

Perfection is unattainable and unrealistic. We as fans need to accept that simple concept. Not to is to hold a player to an impossible standard.

GO BILLS!!!

So you're a 24 yr old, single, millionaire athlete at one of the biggest party scenes of the year.. time to break out the playbook?

Eric Wood@EWood70 18h

Studying the playbook with @EJManuel3 at the Kentucky Derby pic.twitter.com/2PkbBJiTHfBmvgcrsCUAATial.jpg

So staged but it's awesome nonetheless. I also love that he is tight with Wood because that's such an important relationship. It blows my mind that some folks are ready to give up on him after a year. But I guess that's the current state of mind we have. We must overreact to everything. No time for patience.

So staged but it's awesome nonetheless. I also love that he is tight with Wood because that's such an important relationship. It blows my mind that some folks are ready to give up on him after a year. But I guess that's the current state of mind we have. We must overreact to everything. No time for patience.

Are all those empty cups on the table symbolic of having to study Hackett's plays?

So you're a 24 yr old, single, millionaire athlete at one of the biggest party scenes of the year.. time to break out the playbook?

Eric Wood@EWood70 18h

Studying the playbook with @EJManuel3 at the Kentucky Derby pic.twitter.com/2PkbBJiTHfBmvgcrsCUAATial.jpg

If you blow it up you can see that it is actually a racing form :) The question is, how much did they bet on the race and did they pick the winner? :)

If you blow it up you can see that it is actually a racing form :) The question is, how much did they bet on the race and did they pick the winner? :)

Ah - so "playbook" in this case means something else entirely. Clever, Wood. Someone tweeted out a video of EJ saying his pick was Calif Chrome. Wood has someone else. Edited by YoloinOhio

Ah - so "playbook" in this case means something else entirely. Clever, Wood. Someone tweeted out a video of EJ saying his pick was Calif Chrome. Wood has someone else.

So EJ went safe with the favorite and Wood is a gamblin' man. I can see that!