Official Tom Brady thread

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember that we are talking about football, not fantasy football.

Remember that Brady does what he does with guys like David Givens, David Patten, Troy Brown, and Deion Branch. All of those guys are decent players, and maybe some of them are vastly underrated. But you could probably name 30 receivers in the NFL better than anyone on that list.

Remember that the Pats won two Super Bowls, with Brady winning the MVP both times.

Remember that Corey Dillon wasn't part of either of those two championship teams. In fact, they took a running back in Antoine Smith who really isn't good enough to start on most teams in the NFL, and won with him as their running back.

Remember that Brady doesn't have the physical tools of a Peyton Manning, and doesn't have the athleticism of McNabb or Vick. He just wins games and the bigger the game, the better he plays.

You act like Brady could go down and they could stick Rohan Davey in as their quarterback and not miss a beat. He practices every day so he has to know the system like the back of his hand. And if it's the system, then it must be true that the Pats would not miss a beat if the backup quarterback played.

You are so wrong. Get over your jealousy and give the guy some credit.

Yup.  Both QBs would succeed in spite of what system they played in.  Some systems would make them more successful, but they would still be great QBs.  You can't say the same for Brady.

216807[/snapback]

care to expand on what Brady can't do?

the only system Brady might not succeed in is a college option running system... Vick and Culpepper might be better in those systems

Brady might go down as the most overrated player in Professional Sports.

Consider if they win the Superbowl this year, they will find a way to give him the MVP. Then if he wins any more Superbowls for the rest of his career, (they would find a way to strip the MVP from someone like Viniateri who deserved it both times) he would be the only quarterback to win 4 SuperBowl MVPS.

He would go down as greater than Montana, greater than Unitas, and it would make me throw up.

Personally, I would NEVER draft Brady. New England has a system, and great coaches, put any capable quarterback in there and the team is STILL a powerhouse.

The question is... what quarterback would I NOT take in place of Brady. There may be a few backups.

This arguement might hold some water if Brady didn't take the same team that Bledsoe floundered with for two years and won a SB with it.

Brady has more rings than all six of those QB's combined.

216790[/snapback]

Your argument means nothing. Bledsoe sucks. No one is saying that Brady is a lousy QB. There are probably 7-10 QBs in the NFL right now that could have similar success in that system.

Your argument means nothing.  Bledsoe sucks.  No one is saying that Brady is a lousy QB.  There are probably 7-10 QBs in the NFL right now that could have similar success in that system.

216822[/snapback]

Bledsoe DOES NOT SUCK. He is inconsistent. Something we don't need, but give him credit. Bledsoe does not suck!

How can ANYONE say that Bledsoe would not have won the Super Bowl the year he got injured? We just do not know. The truth is that Weis and Co have a scheme that is executed better by Brady, than Bledsoe. But let's not forget something, the Pats won their two Super Bowls with some lucky calls (tuck rule) and an above average defense. Nobody believes Brady is the reason they won those Super Bowls...do they?

care to expand on what Brady can't do?

216816[/snapback]

Win a game by himself. That is something he has NEVER done as a QB. He has ALWAYS had a good team around him. Manning, Vick, Culpepper, Farve, McNair and McNabb have all done this. I challenge you to find a game where Brady put the team on his shoulders and carried them to victory without the defense making a big play or a miracle bounce.

Brady is a system QB in one hell of a system.  Put him on a sh------- team, he'd be an above average QB at best.  Good field vision, quick release.....and thats about it.  Without even thinking about it, I can name 6 QBs who I'd take over Brady (Manning, McNabb, Vick, Culpepper, Farve, McNair).  I'll give props to the Patriots front office for putting together a great staff and giving them the players they needed to have one of the best systems in football, but, I'm not going to sit here and hear that Brady is one of the best QBs of all time.  He's not even one of the best QBs THIS YEAR.  Shoot, he's not even the best player on the Patriots.  Dillon and Bruschi are much more valuable than Brady is.  Want to think of something scary?  Put McNabb or Culpepper on that team, see how he would do.  I think most of the NFL is going to be in for a big suprise with both Coordinators leaving this offseason, Brady and the Pats are going to have a pretty average year in '05(8-8ish), unless they get some great coordinators in there.  Bottom line is, success alone does not make a QB a great QB.  Success makes a great team a great team.

216785[/snapback]

Get over it dude....Brady is the best QB in football right now. It seems like so many people are jealous, they are blinding themselves to some really fine football. Like someone once said, football is 10% physical, and 90% mental...Brady is clearly on top of the mental aspect of the game, like no one since Montana, and maybe Steve Young (my vote for all-time underrated QB).

Guys like Culpepper, Manning and the rest, drop back in the pocket, and the first thing they process is what has been taken away by the defense. They then make their decision using the process of elimination. Brady just seems to drop back, and see what is available immediately. He seems to read defenses faster, and more accurately than anyone, since Montana. His anticipation of what the defense is doing is dead on. You did hear the stat that he has only thrown 3 interceptions in 9 playoff games? This is going against what are supposed to be the elite teams.

Maybe I am just getting old. I love the Bills, and will always live and die with them. However, I love the game of football as well, and I love a well played game. The Patriots are an incredible team the last 4 years. Brushci and the defense are terrific, but you are way off in saying that Brady is only a "system QB"(aren't all QB's system QB's?), and saying he merely benefits from the defense and the team around him. If you are one of those who only thinks a QB had a good game if he throws for 350 yards and 3 td's a game, than Brady may not be your guy. But if you are one that appreciates a QB who is consistant, a sound decision maker, unflappable under pressure, who wins far far more than he loses, than Brady is the best! It is not like the Patriots have trouble scoring points when they need to........

Win a game by himself.  That is something he has NEVER done as a QB.  He has ALWAYS had a good team around him.  Manning, Vick, Culpepper, Farve, McNair and McNabb have all done this.  I challenge you to find a game where Brady put the team on his shoulders and carried them to victory without the defense making a big play or a miracle bounce.

216831[/snapback]

VERY GOOD POINT

Bledsoe DOES NOT SUCK.  He is inconsistent.  Something we don't need, but give him credit.  Bledsoe does not suck!

216826[/snapback]

Ok, I'll give you inconsistant. "Sucks" is a relative term, of course.

Win a game by himself.  That is something he has NEVER done as a QB.  He has ALWAYS had a good team around him.  Manning, Vick, Culpepper, Farve, McNair and McNabb have all done this.  I challenge you to find a game where Brady put the team on his shoulders and carried them to victory without the defense making a big play or a miracle bounce.

216831[/snapback]

In 46 NFL starts, Brady has 12 comebacks from a tie or behind in the fourth quarter or overtime. Next stupid question?

216831[/snapback]

Bingo!

There are plenty of guys in the NFL that can succeed in NE's quality system:

McNabb

Manning

C-pep

Green

Pennington (maybe just like Brady)

Farve

Garcia

McNair

Carr

If Brady and all these guys were coming out in a new draft tomorrow, Brady would go ahead of Green. The rest would be picked higher. Please people, just get over this friggin cult-of-personality love fest thingy. Especially over a dang Patriot.

216831[/snapback]

I'm not going to play a rigged game... how 'bout you list the games that Manning, Vick, etc have won by themselves first? What does that even mean? Did they throw the ball to themselves?

The reality is Brady is playing on a team that is head and shoulders better than the teams they play against in a very watered down NFL.

Look back at the Super Bowl between Dallas and Pittsburgh in 1978.

Steelers:

Bradshaw, Harris, Blount, Green, Lambert, LC Greenwood, Shell, Ham, Webster, Swann, Stallworth, Etc

Dallas:

Staubach, Pearson, Dorsett, Newhouse, BJ Dupree, Harvey Martin, Ed Jones, Randy White, DD Lewis, Thomas Henderson, Cliff Harris, Tony Hill, Rayfield Wright, Tom Rafferty, Charlie Waters, Bob Bruenig, & Danny White (backup QB/punter).

I'm not discounting that dude is MONEY when it matters but the NFL playoffs tell a big story about how watered down the product really is.

How about the one where Manning threw 3 TDs in the last few minutes of the game to win it? I think that qualifies as a perfect example, though I will have to rely on someone else's memory as to the details.

Manning is a system QB too. Chump.

Look: if a QB executes a "system" to near perfection, does that make him a bad QB? Montana was the perfect WCO QB- couldn't throw the deep ball but was very accurate. Does that tarnish his image?

The Brady bashers are loco. The guy is like a friggin' robot- he's one of the most disciplined QBs I've ever seen, and seemingly can't be rattled by a mistake.

Brady has more rings than all six of those QB's combined.

216790[/snapback]

put any of those QBs on the patriots and the pats would have won just as many SBs.

put brady on any of the other QBs teams and watch brady not even play in a SB, much less win one.

The Brady bashers are loco. The guy is like a friggin' robot- he's one of the most disciplined QBs I've ever seen, and seemingly can't be rattled by a mistake.

216885[/snapback]

Yep.

To all those calling him a "system" QB, what are the weaknesses in his game? The deep ball? Did you see his TD pass to Branch? Calling him a product of the system may have been valid after the first SB, but he has elevated his game since then.

You can root against the guy and his team (it's very frustrating, but my duty as a Bills fan) without making foolish arguments.

Manning is a system QB too. Chump.

Look: if a QB executes a "system" to near perfection, does that make him a bad QB? Montana was the perfect WCO QB- couldn't throw the deep ball but was very accurate. Does that tarnish his image?

216885[/snapback]

Right, cause Manning doesn't pretty much run his own offense. Manning IS the system.

Just look at who has more rings ---------

216954[/snapback]

You can't judge a QB by the number of rings they have. If that is the case, you need to keep Kelly and Marino out of the HOF to make room for Jeff Hoestettler and Mark Rypien.

Brady is a system QB in one hell of a system.  Put him on a sh------- team, he'd be an above average QB at best.  Good field vision, quick release.....and thats about it.  Without even thinking about it, I can name 6 QBs who I'd take over Brady (Manning, McNabb, Vick, Culpepper, Farve, McNair).  I'll give props to the Patriots front office for putting together a great staff and giving them the players they needed to have one of the best systems in football, but, I'm not going to sit here and hear that Brady is one of the best QBs of all time.  He's not even one of the best QBs THIS YEAR.  Shoot, he's not even the best player on the Patriots.  Dillon and Bruschi are much more valuable than Brady is.  Want to think of something scary?  Put McNabb or Culpepper on that team, see how he would do.  I think most of the NFL is going to be in for a big suprise with both Coordinators leaving this offseason, Brady and the Pats are going to have a pretty average year in '05(8-8ish), unless they get some great coordinators in there.  Bottom line is, success alone does not make a QB a great QB.  Success makes a great team a great team.

216785[/snapback]

I disagree. Only Manning is a better QB than Brady right now. Culpepper and McNair have been overrated their whole careers. Vick looks pretty, but he doesn't lead his team. Farve is done....he's not even top ten in the leauge any more.

I disagree.  Only Manning is a better QB than Brady right now.  Culpepper and McNair have been overrated their whole careers.  Vick looks pretty, but he doesn't lead his team.  Farve is done....he's not even top ten in the leauge any more.

216964[/snapback]

Dude, Manning is SOOOOOO good he can't even get to a Super Bowl. Did you see him choke in Foxboro last weekend???

Manning is a good QB in the NFL, but he's not great yet. Brady's not the most talented QB in the NFL, but he does one thing those other guys haven't been able to do ----NOT CHOKE.

Sadly, some of my Children have chosen the wrong path in life. Thomas Brady chose to exchange his soul in order to gain worldy praise and glory. Wormwood now controls his soul. There is nothing further that can be done to save him. He will have his glory in this life, but he will no longer pass through the Pearly Gates.

I weep for my Children who do such things, but alas free will has been given to all.

I'm not going to play a rigged game... how 'bout you list the games that Manning, Vick, etc have won by themselves first?  What does that even mean?  Did they throw the ball to themselves?

216863[/snapback]

You obviously didn't watch ANY falcons highlights this year or 2002.

Sunday, Dec. 1st, 2002. Vick vs. the Vikes.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/recap/NFL_20021201_ATL@MIN

Nuff Said.

Manning:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=241226011

AND they got the 2 pt conversion. Did I mention he broke the all time single season TD passing record with the last second winner.

You obviously didn't watch  ANY falcons highlights this year or 2002. 

Sunday, Dec. 1st, 2002.  Vick vs. the Vikes.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/recap/NFL_20021201_ATL@MIN

Nuff Said.

Manning:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=241226011

AND they got the 2 pt conversion.

216978[/snapback]

How many tackles did each make in those games?

How many tackles did each make in those games?

216981[/snapback]

20 each, wasn't it? Some of the best tackling I've ever seen by a QB. And that punt return that Manning took all the way - I couldn't believe it.