Tell me about RB

packfntk

Ok, so as an onlooker, I have to ask. Maybe you can give me some guidance on this. What is the deal with your RB's? Was it solely health last year, or why wasn't a playmaker like Spiller being fed the ball more? He only missed one game, but I know he was playing beat up, but 200 carries? 33 catches? That is a player that I thought would have been the focal point in the offense, trying to find creative ways to get him the ball in space, and just see what he can do. Was it Freddie J? Is this the year that Spiller takes over and takes the Lions share? Was it the Line, Coaching, all of the above, or what was the deal? I just see an electric player like that, and think its a travesty that he had the year that he did. Maybe you peeps can shed a little insight.

Fred is the better RB. Period. Cj has more big play ability, but Fred is just on another level, even at his age. I'd take Fred over cj every day of the week and twice on Sunday. A high ankle sprain limited what cj could do most of the season.....but fred is better.

Fred is one of the top 5 backs in the league. He consistently out performs Spiller and is reliable. Spiller is not reliable. He is a back that will have stat lines for carries reading:

2yards, 7 yards, -2 yards, 1 yard, 2 yards, 3 yards, 34 yards, -2yards.

AAnd those mean nothing to the on looker. But when its 3rd and 2 and he runs for -1 because he bounces outside. Or when it is 1st and 10 and he runs for 37. Then hits 3 yards on 2nd and 8 by running up the middle. Well. You see he really isn't that good.

He can catch very well and needs to be flexed to WR at least 3or 4 times a game because the screens and pop shot passes to him really get some yards.

He can't block to save his life, either.

And he plays with a lot less passion then FJ. Which, isn't saying much because FJ is a beast and all heart. But CJ will burn himself out because he is too ambitious and gets too excited then needs to sit a series or two

Ok, so as an onlooker, I have to ask. Maybe you can give me some guidance on this. What is the deal with your RB's? Was it solely health last year, or why wasn't a playmaker like Spiller being fed the ball more? He only missed one game, but I know he was playing beat up, but 200 carries? 33 catches? That is a player that I thought would have been the focal point in the offense, trying to find creative ways to get him the ball in space, and just see what he can do. Was it Freddie J? Is this the year that Spiller takes over and takes the Lions share? Was it the Line, Coaching, all of the above, or what was the deal? I just see an electric player like that, and think its a travesty that he had the year that he did. Maybe you peeps can shed a little insight.

You had Spiller in Fantasy too, eh? B-)

Fred is the better RB. Period. Cj has more big play ability, but Fred is just on another level, even at his age. I'd take Fred over cj every day of the week and twice on Sunday. A high ankle sprain limited what cj could do most of the season.....but fred is better.

I agree with this and will add that the musical chair at QB and the system had a lot to do with it as well. Marrone said early on he wouldnt use his RBs in the passing game as much which doesnt make sense and the system itself was very basic.

me too...came down to him and Charles and I went with the homer pick which I dont normally do and paid for it

I agree with this and will add that the musical chair at QB and the system had a lot to do with it as well. Marrone said early on he wouldnt use his RBs in the passing game as much which doesnt make sense and the system itself was very basic.

me too...came down to him and Charles and I went with the homer pick which I dont normally do and paid for it

Me too. But thankfully I also took Peyton Manning with my next pick and he made up for Spillers shortcomings. Plus I also drafted Fred Jackson just in case and that move paid off. Spiller was on my bench 80% of the time last season

CBF

HAHA, no I didn't get Spiller, he was picked the player before me, so I got Shady. Woo Hoo! But in all honestly, how long can Fred keep it up? He will be 34 this year, at a position where you are beaten up. 34 does not seem old, but I am 31 and my legs are not what they were at 22-25..... Now, I am not a world class athlete, just take a look at why in my picture, but you know! :thumbsup:

HAHA, no I didn't get Spiller, he was picked the player before me, so I got Shady. Woo Hoo! But in all honestly, how long can Fred keep it up? He will be 34 this year, at a position where you are beaten up. 34 does not seem old, but I am 31 and my legs are not what they were at 22-25..... Now, I am not a world class athlete, just take a look at why in my picture, but you know! :thumbsup:

this is why i fully expect the Bills to take a RB in the 3rd or 4th round in the draft

they also signed Dixon from SF who I think steals a lot of the short yardage goal line carries and IMO will end up getting more carries then people think as Marrone and Hackett seem to prefer RBs that can pound the ball through the line

Another way to look at it is when you give the ball to Spiller 10more times he will get one rin in for maybe 20 yards but combine the other 9 runs and his net is like 2 or 3 yards. At least last year.

Now I know that is not his avg yds per carry but it is more or less how it worked. And he didn't convert when it mattered.

LOL....this board was full of people talking about picking Spiller as high as #2 in fantasy drafts last year.

People need to realize that Spiller is not a 20+ carry per game back. The most carries you give him, the more banged up he gets and the lower the % of big plays you're going to get.

I had Spiller, Forte and Fred. Forte carried me... Fred helped... Spiller benched a lot!

Fred is a complete anomaly. Bills will be drafting his replacement this year and I would guess they get someone as close to Eddie Lacy as they can. But he splits carries and takes care of himself, and has a ton of heart and passion which I think propels him - plus he is a heads up, smart player and leader on and off the field. I have to think this is his last year as he is a FA at the end, but who knows. I sure as heck hope the Bills don't let him go somewhere else because of what he means to this team and I want him to see the playoffs at least once as a Bill. I don't know if any team would sign a 35-yr-old RB so my dream would be for the Bills to finally make the playoffs this year, Fred retire a Bill, and the Bills give him a role at OBD going forward in some capacity.

Another way to look at it is when you give the ball to Spiller 10more times he will get one rin in for maybe 20 yards but combine the other 9 runs and his net is like 2 or 3 yards. At least last year.

Now I know that is not his avg yds per carry but it is more or less how it worked. And he didn't convert when it mattered.

Yet, he still outrushed Fred. IMO, it's stupid to compare the rbs because they are both good. Fred is without a doubt better than CJ in certain categories: blocking, short yardage. But Fred could never get 1,200 yards at 6 ypc or average nearly 11 yards a catch.

Injuries and gameplan limited Spiller last year. Yet, he was still our leading rusher. But we have 2 very good rbs. It is a strength of our team.

I really wish the Bills drafted Eddie Lacy.

I know it wouldnt make sense and I am more than happy who we drafted instead but I just love the type of RB that Eddie Lacy is.

I think he is one of the most complete backs in the league.

CBF

Yeah, Eddie the Hammer is a monster. I wanted him, but not in the first, so you can imagine Packer fans excitement when he was there in the 2nd. Just awesome. He needs to stay healthy, because every run is punishing. He reminds me of Lynch, no matter if it is a 1 yard run, or a 30, he earns every inch and it seems so physical. That is what we were missing from our offense.

I know in todays NFL you need a 1-2 punch, so Spiller will never be just "The one and only guy", but he is a homerun hitter and can make plays, and in my opinion, you have to make it so that those types of players somehow get the ball in their hands at least 15 times a game mimimum, should be closer to 20 with catches and runs.

I don't know about everyone else here but even though spiller was mediocre at best for the majority of the year he still does things that less than 5 players in the NFL can do on a regular basis. When he is fully healthy, which he will be finally (we hope) and the fact that he is in a contract year, I expect him to have a huge year this year. Hopefully Williams will be half way decent at the LG spot as well.

Yet, he still outrushed Fred. IMO, it's stupid to compare the rbs because they are both good. Fred is without a doubt better than CJ in certain categories: blocking, short yardage. But Fred could never get 1,200 yards at 6 ypc or average nearly 11 yards a catch.

Injuries and gameplan limited Spiller last year. Yet, he was still our leading rusher. But we have 2 very good rbs. It is a strength of our team.

barely, 4.6YPC compared to 4.3. CJ outrushed Jackson by 43 yards, yet, Jackson's carries accounted for 54 first downs compared to Spiller's 26 (9 came on runs of 20+ yards which fuels the all or nothing comments regarding CJ). Jackson 9 TD's, Spiller 2.

With his age/abilities Spiller should have relegated FJ to second fiddle status the minute he walked onto the field at SJF. The fact that he has not is a testament to FJ and an indictment of CJ.

barely, 4.6YPC compared to 4.3. CJ outrushed Jackson by 43 yards, yet, Jackson's carries accounted for 54 first downs compared to Spiller's 26 (9 came on runs of 20+ yards which fuels the all or nothing comments regarding CJ). Jackson 9 TD's, Spiller 2.

With his age/abilities Spiller should have relegated FJ to second fiddle status the minute he walked onto the field at SJF. The fact that he has not is a testament to FJ and an indictment of CJ.

But he still did. with an ankle injury. Think about the Cleveland game. Spiller had a monster run and then couldn't play. He was very limited by injuries and still outperformed him. And who cares because we have both and htey are good at different things.

But he still did. with an ankle injury. Think about the Cleveland game. Spiller had a monster run and then couldn't play. He was very limited by injuries and still outperformed him. And who cares because we have both and htey are good at different things.

Who cares?

One is a high first round pick, the other the definition of a street FA. Expectations are were much, much higher for CJ.

Pointing to his inability to stay on the field as a positive is maybe not the wisest tactic.

Am I happy we have Fred Jackson on the roster? Absolutely.

Do I hope that CJ finds a way to turn me into a believer? Absofreakinlutely.