Speeding ticket in southeast georgia yesterday

The Poojer

so i am driving from florida, driving with the flow of traffic, thought i was doing about 80 in a 70, see a sherrif truck going from south bound to northbound and slide in right behind my car and pull me over....came up, told me i was doing 85. asked for my license hand it to him along with the car rental contract, he didn't even acknowlege the rental agreement, just walked back to his car with my license. Came back handed me the ticket, asked me to sign it saying it was in no way an admission of guilt, said his radar was calibrated that morning and to call by june 11th for cost of ticket or to fight the ticket...no big deal, i know i was going over the posted speed...

today i go online to see if i can fight an out of state speeding ticket to avoid points, type in the location of the ticket and come across this forum....

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/darien-ga/TEJF3CEO3SBCI8ASG

scary how so many have the exact same story...85MPH, no request for insurance or registration...but all the talk about the super speeder additional fine...

I don't know what to do now...i have a legal plan through work, not sure how it works or if it can even be used in this situation...i don't mind paying a speeding ticket at all, but holy crap it seems as though this place is notorious for trying to make some serious cash...

any suggestions, recommendations, similar experiences in this part of georgia? mcintosh county, darien georgia? ticket claims light traffic, i would have called it moderate, certainly not light traffic.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pooj, that thread is really old. Couple of questions

1) did you admit that you were speeding? Did you say anything about how fast you thought you were going?

2) if it is a speed trap, the judge and the cops will be in cahoots, almost impossible for you to win without being onsite with a lawyer...and even then hard as hell

Bowling Green on Route 301 in VA has one of the most notorious ones as i have learned. 35 coming into the one block that has some business, then turns to right back to 55 . But those sneaky buggers put up another sign about 1/2 mile down the road, in an area where it is only fields, back down to 45. They got me going 63, and when i went to court must have been 60 people all has tickets from same cop, same exact spot. Most at 65 or over

I figured out anybody pleading not guilty,was found guilty, got the twenty over for 65, and got big points and fine.

I plead no contest, got 54. Think he rewarded me for not making him listen to some bull **** story.

Sometimes ya just got to eat it.

BTW, in VA anything over 80 is considered reckless, so make sure you check on that in GA

Edited by plenzmd1

that thread while started in 09 has posts up until a couple weeks ago...same story throughout the thread...i told him i didn't think i was going 85

Pooj, that thread is really old. Couple of questions

1) did you admit that you were speeding? Did you say anything about how fast you thought you were going?

2) if it is a speed trap, the judge and the cops will be in cahoots, almost impossible for you to win without being onsite with a lawyer...and even then hard as hell

Bowling Green on Route 301 in VA has one of the most notorious ones as i have learned. 35 coming into the one block that has some business, then turns to right back to 55 . But those sneaky buggers put up another sign about 1/2 mile down the road, in an area where it is only fields, back down to 45. They got me going 63, and when i went to court must have been 60 people all has tickets from same cop, same exact spot. Most at 65 or over

I figured out anybody pleading not guilty,was found guilty, got the twenty over for 65, and got big points and fine.

I plead no contest, got 54. Think he rewarded me for not making him listen to some bull **** story.

Sometimes ya just got to eat it.

BTW, in VA anything over 80 is considered reckless, so make sure you check on that in GA

that thread while started in 09 has posts up until a couple weeks ago...same story throughout the thread...i told him i didn't think i was going 85

did you admit to going anything over the limit? I have learned the hard way it never pays to say anything except.." no officer, i am confident i was going exactly the speed limit" and then try to ask him details in court that he may not remember.

i said 'i honestly don't think i was going 85' but i honestly don't think he heard anything other than him asking for my license...seems like this little part of the world has their own agenda and is only focused on revenue...seems like they don't even listen to reduced violations or traffic school for first time speeders...

did you admit to going anything over the limit? I have learned the hard way it never pays to say anything except.." no officer, i am confident i was going exactly the speed limit" and then try to ask him details in court that he may not remember.

it is sad that officers have changed roles form to serve and protect to find revenue wherever you can. I got a seat belt ticket in a trap, no idea how he ever say me without it but i didn't try to put it on even after i saw him coming. Went ot court and quite a few people in the same boat as me. all got reduced to simple parking tickets and no points. Our podunk town gets to keep more of the money for parking tickets versus a state seat belt ticket. The judge even lowered a court fee for a guy who showed up in a sport jacket and tie!

i said 'i honestly don't think i was going 85' but i honestly don't think he heard anything other than him asking for my license...seems like this little part of the world has their own agenda and is only focused on revenue...seems like they don't even listen to reduced violations or traffic school for first time speeders...

in the state of California and I would guess everywhere. You have every right to demand to see the gun and check for calibration time and date. By law a radar gun in California must be calibrated before every shift if not you win. Of course if your ticketed in a state where you live, you also have the right to demand a change of venue, but you must do it on the spot.

I was born with a lead foot and in the past have dealt with issues like speeding tickets. Reckless driving (over 30mph above posted limit), Also, although once I fought it and won he had me clocked on the gun at 80 in a 65 yet wrote it up as 87mph. Claiming by the time I crested the hill I would have been doing 87 or more. I beat that one without a lawyer and petitioned the judge in writing.

Since you're out of town I would look into petitioning the judge in writing.

Could be worse. You could have been going through Georgia in 1961. That is the year my parents got married and made the trek down to Miami for their honeymoon. My father got a ticket @ a speed trap in GA... They were taken right to the chief of police's house. Either pay the ticket right there or wait the weekend til Monday for a judge... I guess they paid the ticket. Wise thinking Dad, glad your skin wasn't dark.

How did you get a ticket going with the flow? Strange, you must of been the slow one the cop caught. Did they give you a tcket for going too slow? I'd fight it, you weren't speeding. You were going the slowest in the flow. Good luck, if you hear people on the porch playing dueling banjoes and somebody offers to park your Bronco... GET REALLY SCARED!

Of course you were going 85... People rountinely go 85 and cops pass them right by! Say so on this very board. You must have been going too slow.

In all honesty and seriousness... Just eat it. Like Bird said, are you planning on going back in person to fight it? Probably not.

it is sad that officers have changed roles form to serve and protect to find revenue wherever you can. I got a seat belt ticket in a trap, no idea how he ever say me without it but i didn't try to put it on even after i saw him coming. Went ot court and quite a few people in the same boat as me. all got reduced to simple parking tickets and no points. Our podunk town gets to keep more of the money for parking tickets versus a state seat belt ticket. The judge even lowered a court fee for a guy who showed up in a sport jacket and tie!

Dude... Numero uno thing to do is be situationally aware. We aren't perfect, but put that belt on the minute you see him check for safety when getting out of the cruiser. There is always plenty of time, real easy to slip it on. One prick cop got mad @ me one time and said: "You are making my job hard." When he came to the vehicle. I said: "Sorry for the inconvienience officer." He then left. Gee, I am making his job hard... Boo hoo blame me.

I always fight everything if I am local... Drag, stall, get continuances, etc... Take it as far out of the officer's mind as possible... Always show, maybe hope the officer won't show. If they are going to get money, make them work for it.

The only reason I suggest Pooj eat it is like Bird said, he probably doesn't have a lawyer in town working for him... Like a trucker might have set up in the states they travel. And anyway, it is cost effective. You gotta stay local if you plan on fighting. IMO.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

in the state of California and I would guess everywhere. You have every right to demand to see the gun and check for calibration time and date. By law a radar gun in California must be calibrated before every shift if not you win. Of course if your ticketed in a state where you live, you also have the right to demand a change of venue, but you must do it on the spot.

I was born with a lead foot and in the past have dealt with issues like speeding tickets. Reckless driving (over 30mph above posted limit), Also, although once I fought it and won he had me clocked on the gun at 80 in a 65 yet wrote it up as 87mph. Claiming by the time I crested the hill I would have been doing 87 or more. I beat that one without a lawyer and petitioned the judge in writing.

Since you're out of town I would look into petitioning the judge in writing.

What does that even mean? How does your average person check the calibration of a radar gun? Even if you could, the police can put whatever they want on the display - cop says you were driving 87, the display will say 87.

Once a police officer has lied about your speed (though it hasn't happened to me often, I've had it happen. Erie County Sheriffs used to be notorious for that), you're getting a ticket. If he's decided to lie, he's already decided to write you up. Nothing you can do at the stop changes that...you have to fight it in court. And THAT is when you subpoena the calibration records, and wait for them to not produce them.

What does that even mean? How does your average person check the calibration of a radar gun? Even if you could, the police can put whatever they want on the display - cop says you were driving 87, the display will say 87.

Once a police officer has lied about your speed (though it hasn't happened to me often, I've had it happen. Erie County Sheriffs used to be notorious for that), you're getting a ticket. If he's decided to lie, he's already decided to write you up. Nothing you can do at the stop changes that...you have to fight it in court. And THAT is when you subpoena the calibration records, and wait for them to not produce them.

In the stae of California at least in 2008 , if you are pulled over for speeding and the officer said he caught you on radar you have on the spot the right to ask and see the calibration sticker, and the display that must show it was calibrated before his shift. That's all I know past the right to change the venue. That I didn't know so I had a appearance 200 miles away. if you do request the venue change the officer drives down on overtime, or if he isn't present chances are it's dismissed.

of course highway patrol does not make that info available. You need to request it on the spot. I can't speak for any other state. My thinking is calibration records can be fudged easily, this is with him, and available on the spot. I argued with that guy for quite sometime in fact I remember his name " officer Blood". In California "serve and protect" was thrown out the window at least ten years ago.

so i am driving from florida, driving with the flow of traffic, thought i was doing about 80 in a 70, see a sherrif truck going from south bound to northbound and slide in right behind my car and pull me over....came up, told me i was doing 85. asked for my license hand it to him along with the car rental contract, he didn't even acknowlege the rental agreement, just walked back to his car with my license. Came back handed me the ticket, asked me to sign it saying it was in no way an admission of guilt, said his radar was calibrated that morning and to call by june 11th for cost of ticket or to fight the ticket...no big deal, i know i was going over the posted speed...

today i go online to see if i can fight an out of state speeding ticket to avoid points, type in the location of the ticket and come across this forum....

http://www.topix.com...JF3CEO3SBCI8ASG

scary how so many have the exact same story...85MPH, no request for insurance or registration...but all the talk about the super speeder additional fine...

I don't know what to do now...i have a legal plan through work, not sure how it works or if it can even be used in this situation...i don't mind paying a speeding ticket at all, but holy crap it seems as though this place is notorious for trying to make some serious cash...

any suggestions, recommendations, similar experiences in this part of georgia? mcintosh county, darien georgia? ticket claims light traffic, i would have called it moderate, certainly not light traffic.

Good luck Oh and BTW if you live in NY or have a NY license, they may suspend it for a month to 3 for out of state speeding or some such. happened to me in 2001 when I got a ticket in south FLA (5 miles faster than what I was doing - cop was a Georgia transplane) . only by the time I got the suspension letter I already had my Florida license ....

Told me to get my speedo re-caliberated

WRT going with the flow - you still need to check your speedo. When I'm "pushed" more than 12 over I take a quick visit to the right lane and then reenter the hammer lane.

cruise control works best if you have it. (who nowadays doesn't)

WRT going with the flow - you still need to check your speedo. When I'm "pushed" more than 12 over I take a quick visit to the right lane and then reenter the hammer lane.

No, when in the left lane and "pushed," you're supposed to peg the speed limit and piss off the people behind you, because !@#$ them.

We have an entire thread dedicated to that fact.

something like that Tom?

If they push too hard I will slow down, but to keep the flow going I can ease on over and let them pass. All in hopes they get a ticket and let me ride worry free for a while longer.

If someone pushes too hard, I get out of their way. I always felt it was better to worry about my own driving, rather than spend so much time worrying about others'.

Unless they're, y'know, actively trying to kill me.

Get "Waze" its a GPS app made by google and will tell you if there are cops or traffic in the area. The way it works is that people will the same app can report any hazards on the road pretty easily.

Edited by b stein 22

sadly i turned waze on too late in my trip back, but you are right..it was calling out cars on the shoulder things in the road...cool app

Get "Waze" its a GPS app made by google and will tell you if there are cops or traffic in the area. The way it works is that people will the same app can report any hazards on the road pretty easily.

how is it when you are stuck in 5:00 traffic and going nowhere fast?

does it annoying or is it smart enough not to repeat itself more than once every mile or so?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

I've been using Waze for over a year and absolutely love it because it tells me about things like speed traps. I use it on my commute - I obviously know the route, but knowing where there is a cop is great. Also, if there's a really bad accident or a jam I get automatically rerouted to another route - very helpful. Only thing is, other people have to be using the app and reporting things or the who concept of crowd-sourced traffic reporting falls apart - if nobody is there to report a cop you could speed right past him....