Speeding ticket in southeast georgia yesterday

The Poojer

If you scour and read the law, then you should be aware of something called "Court Rules" or "Rules of Court".

Approaching the bench before asking is usually a big fat no-no.

It goes beyond common courtesy into orderly conduct, ethics, and possible legality.

Imagine if counsel had the right to approach the bench any time they felt like it. You would have cases turn into utter chaos.

Besides, what looks to you as innocent, looks to somebody else as preferential treatment (a/k/a "favoring a side").

That leads to a potential appeal or, in extreme cases, whether or not the person is capable of being a judge.

I understand your situation. The case was over and you just wanted clarification. Regardless, you should have asked to approach the bench.

Be happy the only thing you got was scolded. Depending on how much authority he had, he could've slapped you contempt.

Thanks for the clarification. I never really thought to look into that. It was a very informal hearing with everybody lined up. The person presiding over the hearing was not a judge, a "hearing officer." The one redlight case where I lost, in that town I was lietrally a foot away from the hearing officer... I didn't know that there was any "kinda of space" when dealing with your case.

Oh well, thanks for the clarification, I will be sure to follow it next time! Hope there is not a next time!

If you scour and read the law, then you should be aware of something called "Court Rules" or "Rules of Court".

Approaching the bench before asking is usually a big fat no-no.

It goes beyond common courtesy into orderly conduct, ethics, and possible legality.

Hell, if you watch Law & Order you should be aware of that.

Hell, if you watch Law & Order you should be aware of that.

Have you ever been to one of these "hearings?" It isn't anything like Law & Order... It is a circus! How was I supposed to know? One hearing you are @ a card table sitting on folding chairs... Next one, there are 200 people lined up in front of a flat screen TV (that one did have a table set up and there was a bench). IMO, I think the hearing officer was just grumpy...

This isn't real court, they only try and make it seem like real court...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois