I'm now convinced we're moving back in draft..

D521646

I really don't think so, it's the guys with a similar frame as Watkins that don't know when to go down that make some plays, no doubt but in the NFL, I feel like it's a recipe for an injury marked career, IMO. I think we don't need him.

You are correct, but I will take 6'5" /4.5 over 6'1" /4.43 all day

He's essentially the same size as Anquan Boldin and Torrey Smith...not sure that speaks to being injury prone.

As for the second comment, well, would you take James Hardy over Torrey Smith? Just sayin'

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's essentially the same size as Anquan Boldin and Torrey Smith...not sure that speaks to being injury prone.

As for the second comment, well, would you take James Hardy over Torrey Smith? Just sayin'

Nope, I'm not saying that. What I am saying is that I would take mike Evans over any of the receivers you just mentioned plus Sammy Watkins

I like Evans too, but not at 9, and that's just my opinion because WR is not a glaring need for us, despite what some here think. I'm not convinced that TE is a real need at this point, and even if it were, plenty of talent in this draft, and not much of a drop off past Ebron. So, if an elite tackle isn't there at 9 then why not trade back? The 9 pick is for guys like Spiller, Byrd, not guys like Maybin, which everyone (Ok not everyone but most) agreed at the time was a good pick. I dunno, who the hell am I, but to me I just makes perfect sense.

Tim-

The correct logic is that excluding the QB's there are only three or four truly top prospects...Clowney, Watkins, Robinson, and Maybe Mack. The next 10 or 12 guys from Mathews to Barr to Ebron to Clinton Dix are all about the same quality. Therefore it makes sense for the Bills to trade back. The same logic makes no sense for a team to trade up. Therefore unless a QB falls that some team covets or there is a weird move (Raiders anyone) I see little hope of a trade down. Maybe some team like the Giants does fall in love with Ebron and the Bills can get an extra third by moving back just a few picks.

Evans, woods, mike williams, TJ Graham all ran faster 40's. Try the google it's great for information like that...IMO. I don't think it much matters, Watkins will be on a plane by pick 9 anyway.

Watkins ran a 4.43 at the combine. Woods ran a 4.51, and mike williams ran a 4.53. Who is Evans? Lee? He's not in the league. Mike Evans, who is not on the team, ran a 4.53 officially at the combine. Graham ran a 4.41 and Goodwin ran a sub 4.3. Anyway, you're wrong, and a combine time of 4.43 is fast.

It's also worth noting that Anquan Boldin is one of the best receivers I've ever seen and is criminally underrated.

Edited by dave mcbride

Kirby Jackson: "No offense but if you think that any of those guys is in Watkins league you haven't seen him.

P.S. You forgot Goodwin and Watkins is faster than Evans."

I've seen him play but picking Evans would be about his size and strength and being a redzone target that we need. I don't think Watkins is bad by any stretch, he's pretty impressive but for our needs, I feel Evans is a better fit on this team.

Fair enough

well. That's your opinion as well as all the "experts" that do this for a living. I personally feel he will be a disappointment. I guess well know in about 10 years for sure or not.

It's certainly an opinion and we won't know for a while. My point is that while people differ on someone like Manziel no one seems to differ on Watkins, to me he is Julio Jones.

Watkins ran a 4.43 at the combine. Woods ran a 4.51, and mike williams ran a 4.53. Who is Evans? Lee? He's not in the league. Mike Evans, who is not on the team, ran a 4.53 officially at the combine. Graham ran a 4.41 and Goodwin ran a sub 4.3. Anyway, you're wrong, and a combine time of 4.43 is fast.

It's also worth noting that Anquan Boldin is one of the best receivers I've ever seen and is criminally underrated.

Sorry mcbride, but you need a re google, Evans is mike yes, I rounded. Woods ran a 4.42 not a 4.41, but you were WAY off and Graham ran a 4.41. Any way Graham and woods are faster than Watkins. So is Goodwin. Already said I was wrong about williams. The larger point I was making was that we have 3 receivers on the team faster than Watkins. I am correct with that and I'm also correct when I say that Watkins had most of his passes caught around the line of scrimmage(great diagram in a Watkins based thread on the wall), those will absolutely not be as successful for him in the NFL.

P.s. I don't believe that anyone claimed Evans was on the team :/

Edited by SJDK

Fair enough

It's certainly an opinion and we won't know for a while. My point is that while people differ on someone like Manziel no one seems to differ on Watkins, to me he is Julio Jones.

im not sitting here saying anyone that thinks he is good or going to be boos is crazy. I realize I'm in the very limited chosen few that thinks he will be a disappointment. But that's my opinion.

Fwiw, the experts all thought the following guys were can't miss coming out of college:

Matt Leinart

Vince young

Jamarcus Russell

Ryan Leaf

Aaron Curry

Vernon Gholston

And let's not get into the guys that all the experts thought would be terrible and ended up producing in this league.

im not sitting here saying anyone that thinks he is good or going to be boos is crazy. I realize I'm in the very limited chosen few that thinks he will be a disappointment. But that's my opinion.

Fwiw, the experts all thought the following guys were can't miss coming out of college:

Matt Leinart

Vince young

Jamarcus Russell

Ryan Leaf

Aaron Curry

Vernon Gholston

And let's not get into the guys that all the experts thought would be terrible and ended up producing in this league.

I recall Robert Gallery, Jason Smith also being can't miss. Gholston was thought of as a risk.

My feeling all along has been to move down and get an extra couple of 2 or 3's. My logic [no doubt flawed] is that at WR I think we have a number of potentially VERY good players. The problem up to now IMO, has been a QB with the talent and rep familiarity to match up with those guys. I feel we have that same type of "potential" at TE. So I would prefer not to spend a real early pick for those positions. I see our greatest need at ROT and LG then strong side LB and a full sized pass rush DE. While we are very strong at RB at the moment, we should probably begin to address this issue given contract expiration and age considerations. I believe that this draft is deep enough at most of those positions [especially OL and RB] that we can satisfy needs with a lower first round pick and extra 2 and 3s.

In reality, if the Bills came away from this draft with a couple of very good additions to the OL, and if the 2 Dougs are right about EJ, they will be a playoff team.

If I'm allowed an aside----- although a season ticket holder since the days of Buster Ramsey and until I moved to Florida, I'm pretty new to this board------can someone tell me why, when am typing these posts, about every 3rd or fourth character that I type does not take. I do lot of computer typing, and it does not happen anywhere else.

Cn anyne tell me what I'm doig wrong------see wht I mean.

Dallas has its eye on Aaron Donald, and might be willing to trade up for him. They also might pounce if Manziel falls to 9...

Pittsburgh likes Calvin Pryor (as do I) as a replacement for Polomalu. They might move up.

Baltimore likes Mosely and perhaps Barr.

All three are potential trade-down partners.

While I'd prefer the Bills stay put and take a blue chipper, I would not be surprised if they want an extra second round pick for the second straight year - it worked out for them big time last year, netting them the guy they wanted in Round 1 plus two starters in Round 2...

Dallas has its eye on Aaron Donald, and might be willing to trade up for him. They also might pounce if Manziel falls to 9...

Pittsburgh likes Calvin Pryor (as do I) as a replacement for Polomalu. They might move up.

While I'd prefer the Bills stay put and take a blue chipper, I would not be surprised if they want an extra second round pick for the second straight year - it worked out for them big time last year, netting them the guy they wanted in Round 1 plus two starters in Round 2...

Agree with all of this...also watch Pittsburgh, who may want to leapfrog Detroit and St. Louis to a DB.

The more I see and read about Donald, the more I'm becoming convinced that he will be the BPA at #9, even over Matthews.

Donald is a defensive player who seemingly would have a real and tangible impact on games, while Matthews would be a very solid "role" player at RT (that's fine, but not what I'm looking for top 10). At #9 you want an impact guy IMO. I beginning to hope the Bills are considering taking Donald at #9.

Sorry mcbride, but you need a re google, Evans is mike yes, I rounded. Woods ran a 4.42 not a 4.41, but you were WAY off and Graham ran a 4.41. Any way Graham and woods are faster than Watkins. So is Goodwin. Already said I was wrong about williams. The larger point I was making was that we have 3 receivers on the team faster than Watkins. I am correct with that and I'm also correct when I say that Watkins had most of his passes caught around the line of scrimmage(great diagram in a Watkins based thread on the wall), those will absolutely not be as successful for him in the NFL.

P.s. I don't believe that anyone claimed Evans was on the team :/

I'm ONLY looking at the combine - not pro days where scouts' times are all over the map.

http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=8676

http://reignoftroy.com/2013/02/24/robert-woods-nfl-combine-40-yard-dash/

http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=9805

The first tim I looked up Graham, it said 4.41, but i'll go with 4.34. Woods, on the other hand, ran a 4.51. There's really no argument about that. I found that time on multiple sites.

Anyway, graham, may be faster, but graham sucks. And goodwin looks to be just ok, although he surely is fast.

Edited by dave mcbride

I wish the draft would just hurry up and get here already ! I'm growing tired of all these threads and hypotheticals, as much as I enjoy the speculation and debate the NFL is dragging this out way too long. I also heard that next year's draft is being pushed another week until mid-May, is that true ? As Bills at 9, I'm all for a trade down, I think best way that happens is if a mid-1st team falls in love with one of the QB's. I do think there is some hope for several of the position players mentioned, especially Gilbert and Lewan. BTW, Kiper now has Lewan going ahead of Matthews.