Who believes in Manuel?

I'm on the fence about EJ but leaning towards the "he's not the guy" side. I can't get past the Pittsburgh and Tampa games which were just dreadful. People point to the Carolina game but i can't shake the 4th Qtr INT and strip sack that luckily the D bailed him out on. Yes he dinked and dunked downfield and Stevie drew a big PI penalty to help win it. I'm OK with giving him year 2 because we'll never know unless he gets this year. Right now i see basically a poor man's Jason Campbell not the next great franchise QB.

I just want to compliment you on your post...I don't agree with it, I just like that you are willing to approach the season with an open mind.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000340813/article/casserly-seven-qbs-in-2014-nfl-draft-rate-ahead-of-ej-manuel

As a Bills fan, I don't see one qb in this years draft that is comparable to EJ. Not saying EJ is or isn't better than any of the 7 'better' guys. But from a height/weight/speed/armstrength standpoint he is in his own class.. He seems like a really good leader and good person as well.. Def not gonna make a scene in the media.. With all that being said, I would love to see Buffalo add one of these 7 QB in this draft.. In my opinion Thad Lewis isn't taking the team to the playoffs.. This team is good qb play away from being a contender.. I have little doubt that if we had any one of the top 18 QBs right now that this team makes the playoffs.. EJ has the potential, I would feel best if there were more than one QB on the team with that potential.. I believe in Tuel more than Thad and hope Tuel wins qb2 job if nobody brought in.. Until we have a top 10-15 qb, I would bring someone in with that high of a ceiling in every single draft.. Especially when/if one slips into rds 2-4. It makes it a lot easier to do when the team is as solid top to bottom as it is now.. This is the year to start implementing operation get a franchise qb at all costs. If we could put Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Matthew Stafford, Russel Wilson, or Andrew Luck on this team- It goes to Superbowl.. If you put Ben Roethlisberger, Cam Newton, Colin Kaepernick, Matt Ryan, RG3, Tony Romo, Jay Cutler, Phillip Rivers, Eli Manning, Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton, and possibly even Alex Smith on this team- they win 10 games min. Heck the Jury is still out but even Nick Foles and Sam Bradford might be able to take this team to the playoffs this year.. I hope EJ joins the group listed above just as much as the next guy, but lets not throw all our eggs in one basket.. I see nothing wrong with honest competition. NFL is a pressure filled league, no need to lessen that burden, make them thrive in it...

hmm, lets see if the tire on my car is flat I don't really know that because it could magically fix itself? If Manuel played poorly and got worse everytime he played I don't know that he isn't a quality QB until You say so. I think you just made another mistake. Hes done move on. I promise you will be doing the rob Johnson dance before the season is over.

Because unless a rookie QB takes an imperfect team to the playoffs, he's crap.

Our defense lost us a few games last year, our o-line is crap, our TE and WRs are mediocre at best. Yet EJ, is expected to shoulder all that, and take the team to Superbowl glory.

unless he's the Chroise or when it was Tuel Time :rolleyes:

While there is no substitute for game action and missing six games was the single largest factor in stunting his development, we can't diminish the developmental aspects of being on an NFL team in and of itself. He's deriving benefits from all those meetings, breaking down film, learning off the field, etc. He's not gonna be a wide-eyed rookie like those coming in this year. He's got a year of forming the essential relationships with teammates and coaches under his belt. I think that's a huge step in the process of making the team his own. And make no mistake, a team HAS to belong to the QB. It just doesn't work otherwise.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't see why anyone would think this is such a reach.

I also think we need to remind ourselves of what a guy like Casserly might have said about Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers after year one, compared to the upcoming crop of draft picks.

The NFL network is selling a product, and part of that product is the promise of something new and exciting for fans. The draft is the pinnacle of that. So, EJ Manuel's incomplete grade is not as exciting as a forecast slam dunk for a guy who hasn't played a down of NFL football. Hell, maybe Johnny Football meets his "rubber mat" and never plays a down. I'm not wishing for it at all, but there are precedents.

"We just don't know," or "we need more time" to see if a guy is good does not suit the narrative. It's far easier for people to be dismissive.

I think we also all need some reminding that being less than confident -- maybe 30% -- isn't being a hater. On the contrary, IMO, saying that we are sunk unless we draft a 1st round QB is a pretty thinly veiled hater statement...

hmm, lets see if the tire on my car is flat I don't really know that because it could magically fix itself? If Manuel played poorly and got worse everytime he played I don't know that he isn't a quality QB until You say so. I think you just made another mistake. Hes done move on. I promise you will be doing the rob Johnson dance before the season is over.

1) That's a patently incomparable corollary you're drawing. A tire being flat is a fact; you thinking a guy played poorly is an opinion--I sincerely hope you understand the difference between fact and opinion.

2) No, he didn't get worse every time he played, and there's zero data that reflect that

3) No, you cannot promise me anything about the future of a player over whom you exert zero control

EJ didnt really show me anything last year to make me think he will be the answer at QB that this team has been searching for. I know all the excuses but when I watched him play I just didnt see anything to make me think he would be a good starting QB in the NFL.

For the EJ supporters, what would your opinion of him be if he wasnt on the Bills? Most if not all of his supporters trash Geno who in reality didnt look much different than EJ with a lot less to work with. I'm not defending Geno but the Jets had nothing on offense last year.

I just want to compliment you on your post...I don't agree with it, I just like that you are willing to approach the season with an open mind.

Yep, the season tickets are paid in full. I'd better have an open mind! Like everyone else, I'm hoping upon hope that he IS the guy. This could be the most important couple years in team history. The Bills competiveness drives late season attendance and TV ratings and success on those fronts will increase their viability to stay put. A lot of it hinders on the play of the QB.

EJ didnt really show me anything last year to make me think he will be the answer at QB that this team has been searching for. I know all the excuses but when I watched him play I just didnt see anything to make me think he would be a good starting QB in the NFL.

For the EJ supporters, what would your opinion of him be if he wasnt on the Bills? Most if not all of his supporters trash Geno who in reality didnt look much different than EJ with a lot less to work with. I'm not defending Geno but the Jets had nothing on offense last year.

Check the 2-minute drill stats posted earlier in the thread for a reminder of what he has done well.

No one is arguing his production has been solid gold.

it's a reasonable assessment

EJ is our guy and i hope he makes it and everything

but really his college resume wasn't really all that much to speak of

they took a shot and we're all hoping for the best!

"Manuel led the Seminoles to a 12-win season for just the third time in program history,and the first time since their dominant stretch in the 1990s. During his senior season, he threw for the second most yards in team history with 3,392, trailing only Chris Weinke's Heisman Trophy winning season, in which Weinke threw for 4,167 yards. Manuel went 25-6 as a starter, won the first BCS bowl for Florida State since 2000, won five out of six games against intrastate rivals Miami and Florida, and he also led the offense to its most prolific season in team history, cleanly surpassing the 1999 National Championship squad with 6,591 yards."

As I've said before I live in Florida and have friends that are FSU alumni and football fans. The most astute of these made the observation that Manuel played for a team in transition from Bowden to Fisher. Had less talent around him than Winston, particularly the OL.

I don't know if EJ will be good in the NFL or not and neither does anyone else, but I don't know how anyone can state that he had a bad college career.

Edited by chris heff

"Manuel led the Seminoles to a 12-win season for just the third time in program history,and the first time since their dominant stretch in the 1990s. During his senior season, he threw for the second most yards in team history with 3,392, trailing only Chris Weinke's Heisman Trophy winning season, in which Weinke threw for 4,167 yards. Manuel went 25-6 as a starter, won the first BCS bowl for Florida State since 2000, won five out of six games against intrastate rivals Miami and Florida, and he also led the offense to its most prolific season in team history, cleanly surpassing the 1999 National Championship squad with 6,591 yards."

As I've said before I live in Florida and have friends that are FSU alumni and football fans. The most astute of these made the observation that Manuel played for a team in transition from Bowden to Fisher. Had less talent around him than Winston, particularly the OL.

I don't know if EJ will be good in the NFL or not and neither does anyone else, but I don't know how anyone can state that he had a bad college career.

Manuel gets a bad rap because a red shirt freshman took over for him and won a National Championship. Whether that's fair or not is up for debate, but it points to Manuel holding that team back, not vice versa.

Manuel gets a bad rap because a red shirt freshman took over for him and won a National Championship. Whether that's fair or not is up for debate, but it points to Manuel holding that team back, not vice versa.

I don't really buy into that. It's not the exact same players & abilities on FSU plus the quaility of opponents and their team makeups are different as well. It's just not as east as apples to apples. That being said, I'd take Winston in a heartbeat today to lead the Bills going forward. He's going to be an excellent NFL QB.

I see such a mixed result in views of our #1 pick from last year that I am curious as to who actually believes in him and why or why not.

IMHO I believe in the kid. He seems to have the right attitude and work ethic. Minus a couple "learning curve" injuries I think EJ is our man. He has all the tools and Buffalo seems poised to put weapons around him and I think he can get it done. Am I in the minority or majority here?

What's important in all of this is that Whaley and Marrone believe in Manuel. Let's hope for everyone's sake that their belief in him is rewarded with the return to a perennially winning franchise that we haven't seen in a very long time.

One season is enough of a sample for you huh?

How many games did he miss at FSU?

Aaron Rodgers played 9 games last year too. Is he frail, brittle, and injury prone?

By the standard, yes....but he is also good and has one of those shiny rings.

he had good success at a very good school in football in a competitive major conference...

did he have another college career i am unaware of?

Manuel was in a program that was in rebuilding mode. OL, RB and receivers not as good.