Who Don't You Want at 9?

LB3

I dont agree with either point.

Matthews and Robinson would step right in and be studs for at least 4 years. Maybe All pro studs in two or 3.

Lewan has question marks. But a trade down might make me feel better .maybe .

Glad to hear the perception is mystery. Thats a good thing i bet !

Unless i misunderstood you and your least favorite pick would be Lewan at nine ?

Then i apologize 242

Lewan would be the guy I'd hate at 9. I think he'll probably be the pick and won't matter.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would hate the Lewan pick.

I would loathe the Barr pick (one trick pony as quoted by others)

I wouldn't like the Dix pick (but I understand it's a need)

I could get behind most of the other possible selections in most mock drafts.

Edited by qwksilver

I can't comment on Elway, Kelly or even Peyton Manning because they were before my time as an NFL fan (but I work with a guy who is a Colts fan who admits to not being totally sold on Manniny until year 3... so all fan bases are like ours)... but if I can look at Brees, Rothlesberger, Eli and even Flacco (all of who have won Superbowls) and say I wasn't convinced in year 1. I can also look at Rivers and Alex Smith who are QBs I think most here would currently swap EJ for and say it took them some time too.

I don't believe you can just see "it" or you can't. Luck, possibly, he was a once in a generation talent - but generally you see flashes in year 1 and some things they need to get better at. Likewsie after year 1 everyone was convinced RGIII had "it".... they're not so convinced now. I just think talking about this nebulous "it" concept is misguided.

That doesn't mean you won't be correct if you believe EJ not to be the guy, he might not be. But it won't be because you are a phenomenal judge of the magic "it".

I didn't watch much of Peyton Manning's rookie year, but I remember in the leadup to his second season virtually everyone was speaking of him in glowing terms and talking about how bright his future was.

With Eli I would somewhat agree. I refused to call him anything but Peyton Manning's brother because I didn't think he'd earned it and his lineage was the only reason I saw for his draft placement, but by his second season I was calling him Eli.

Rothlisberger was solid from the first time he set foot on the field. His team went 15-1. And I know it was a solid team, but that team wasn't performing like that before he stepped up.

Flacco had an excellent rookie season.

Rivers sat for his first 2 seasons, but the first year he started he posted a 92 QB Rating.

And RG3 had "it" before his idiot coach left him out there gimping around with a 2 TD lead only to let his leg get ripped half off.

I agree with your broader point, that sometimes QBs take time to develop and we really don't know what we have in EJ, and I also agree he may have benefitted from a year on the bench learning the offense and practicing before being thrust into the limelight. But it's not like most of the guys you listed were left for dead before resurrecting their careers - that's pretty much just Brees and Smith. Patience is warranted, but it's not like we're going in blind. There's potential there, but I don't see too many (outside of hard core Bills fans) who are all that optimistic, which to me is telling - and cause for concern.

Edited by Rob's House

Chris Trapasso@ChrisTrapasso 13m

Regarding how teams view entire 2014 class & have prospects ranked at each position, source told me "#Bills really guard their draft board."

This kind of statement and perception seems to be gaining traction .

very quiet .

Some folks have predicted that the predictor is the predraft visits .

I want to keep an eye on the that this year because they have had more than one TE in , i may be wrong , but Ebron is one of them. Then Bills go an let it be known Kaufman may be groomed as a TE prospect.

I find this kind of stuff great fun to observe. As if there is sense of humor around OBD sometimes in their misdirection efforts.

It would be easier for me to pick if they moved up and or possibly moved down. But at Nine i just dont get a feel. Unless the QBs have a run. Which seems to be trending down :thumbdown:

Edited by 3rdand12

Chris Trapasso@ChrisTrapasso 13m

Regarding how teams view entire 2014 class & have prospects ranked at each position, source told me "#Bills really guard their draft board."

And without Buddy around it makes it even easier to be more guarded...I loved hearing Buddy talk about individual prospects because I think if you really follow the team, and the teams needs, he slipped up a lot...I felt he ever-so-slightly tipped off the Gilmore, Glenn, and Manuel picks...He just had a way of saying things without actually saying them...Then when you look back it becomes obvious who they liked...I felt we put together some clues last year right here on the board that led us to Manuel...Especially when Buddy kind of mirrored what Mayock was saying about Manuel...ie...If you're going to take a flyer on a QB take the guy with the biggest upside potential that you can mold into a top starter in a couple years...As far as Glenn it was obvious when Buddy compared him to Marcus McNeil... B-)