If We Pass on Ebron .... We Will Regret it

Did anyone else read this?

From Bleacher Report.

Wont let me post the link.

CBF

I read that last night. This is why he is rated so high as an NFL prospect. The TE position in the NFL is evolving and changing the way DCs need to game plan and use coverages. In college, it is sometimes a piece they have but don't utilize to its fullest potential.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really think the Bills should draft Ebron.

A dynamic TE could really help a young, developing QB.

CBF

This is where I'm at. I lie Chandler. He's a solid NFL TE. EJ looked really comfortable throwing him the ball. But Chandler just lacks that explosiveness. I just think it would be awesome to have a guy like Ebron catch a crossing route and pick up monster chunks.

This is where I'm at. I lie Chandler. He's a solid NFL TE. EJ looked really comfortable throwing him the ball. But Chandler just lacks that explosiveness. I just think it would be awesome to have a guy like Ebron catch a crossing route and pick up monster chunks.

EJ really seemed to go to Chandler a lot - the TE should be a security blanket for a QB. Sometimes Chandler was able to make a nice play but a more athletic guy at that position who can make tough catches is what we need. If they don't take Ebron I hope they take an ASJ or other TE who can scare a DC.

EJ really seemed to go to Chandler a lot - the TE should be a security blanket for a QB. Sometimes Chandler was able to make a nice play but a more athletic guy at that position who can make tough catches is what we need. If they don't take Ebron I hope they take an ASJ or other TE who can scare a DC.

Yup. Chandler plays smaller than his size. I don't think I've ever even seen him jump. He should be unstoppable in the red zone. but if Chandler is your #2 TE, you're in great shape.

Not only would Ebron be a great safety blanket for EJ but he would be a matchup nightmare for opposing DC's

CBF

That is kind of what I've been trying to say about looking beyond his college stats and saying we want a guy who can score more TDs. If he can score TDs, and I think he can given the other weapons we will have on the field vs. what he had in college where he was the one and only, that is great. But what if he causes the defense to pull an extra defender and that opens things up for our WRs? That's OK in my book. I don't care who scores, as long as someone scores.

interesting read..ESPN NFL Nation@ESPN_NFLNation 3m

Polian's take on Falcons trading up http://es.pn/1km2nXU

What Polian says makes great sense IMO. The Browns got nothing from all those picks. They could have had Julio Jones.

Not only would Ebron be a great safety blanket for EJ but he would be a matchup nightmare for opposing DC's

CBF

Agreed. And since OT/WR are the deepest in this draft take one of each of them in the 2nd and 3rd. If Evans falls you run up to the podium though.

Edited by Awwufelloff

Seeing how the draft is likely to pan out, and seeing as how I don't think trading up for a non QB is worth it, I have really warmed up to the Ebron idea. His 11.4% drop rate concerns me but when you watch the bills offense and how Manuel distributes the ball, he really liked going to Chandler at T.E. If we had someone more explosive and with better hands at T.E I think it could be the missing piece we need. We don't have one "superstar" at T.E but we have 4 great players there at different specific skill sets (Stevie,Woods,Goodwin,Williams). Adding Ebron to that gives EJ more than enough weapons at his disposal. If Matthews falls I would take him but Ebron would by no means be a bad pick for a teams offense that besides the ? mark at QB is super close.

Your point about tds is well taken. But (and I don't see a ton of UNC games), Ebron was highly known at the start of the season. I'm guessing he got the Calvin Johnson treatment in the red zone, double teams. Teams probably weren't going to let their star TE go one on one.

Jimmy Graham had 17 catches and 5 tds his last year in college. Rob Gronkowski didn't play his last year in college. But TEs that can average close to 16 yards/ catch, with a long of 79, and have almost 200 yards in a game are rare. He isn't a perfect prospect at all, but his upside is tremedous. He adds a dimension that the Bills haven't possibly had ever.

He isn't going to be another OT, but all you really want from a TE is effort. When you're young and the number #1 receiver, you probably slack on your blocking. When he's competiting for playing time and money, you might focus more. Jimmy Graham isn't a great blocker but I'll take him on this team. Blocking from TEs is just mainly about effort and Ebron won't be staying in to block and I'm confident he can block dbs on long runs.

From where do you gain your confidence that a) he will put forth said effort, or b) he can block DB's on long runs?

You have to project these players to the NFL. BTW, I love Marquise Lee and would take him if we dropped back a bit. As for Ebron and production, Tim Tebow was very productive scoring TD's on a college level. Ebron was very productive as a college player, just didn't have the right situation, including QB to rack up more TD's. On 3rd and 1 or on the goalline, Ebron will not be covered by most NFL players 1 on 1. The NFL is all about creating mis-matches and Ebron projects to be that type of player with his instant acceleration, big body, leaping ability, and body control.

I agree that part of the draft process is projecting how a collegiate player will do in the NFL and how much (if any) that player will improve over a few NFL seasons.

Your example of Tebow was a very good one - he was a highly productive collegiate player, but he had/has a glaring weakness (poor passing skills) that was fatal at the NFL level. However, I think that a player who did not demonstrate an ability to score TDs in college is a MUCH bigger projection if you are expecting him to not only be OK, but to be a significant red zone threat. Ebron only managed to score 3 tds this year. I understand the point that his QB could affect his production, but UNC QBs did throw 28 TD passes and Ebron caught just 3 of those (about 10%). That does not feel right for a top 10 pick, especially one you are counting on to help the offense score.

By comparison Kelvin Benjamin scored 15 TDs THIS YEAR - nearly twice as many as Ebron's career total. Benjamin scored 10 TDs in his last 6 games - again, more than Ebron's 3 year total.

To be totally clear, I am not completely against drafting Ebron, but I am just not seeing what makes him such a great prospect.

And too big for DBs. Tough for a LB to cover these TEs. Keuchly was the DPOY and he looked pedestrian against Gronk last year.

What do Gronk and Ebron have in common?

Because he is too fast for LBs

CBF

I think this article is interesting.

Ebron and Greaham are very comparable.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2010-04-15-draft-tight-ends-jermaine-gresham_N.htm?csp=34feed

I think Jace Amaro compares closer to Gronk

What do Gronk and Ebron have in common?

I think this article is interesting.

Ebron and Greaham are very comparable.

http://usatoday30.us....htm?csp=34feed

I think Jace Amaro compares closer to Gronk

They are both TEs who stretch the field and present a mismatch for a LB in coverage. I didn't compare him to Gronk vs. other TEs. just an example of where these fast TEs are a mismatch for LBs. Edited by YoloinOhio

They are both TEs who present a mismatch for a LB in coverage

Given that there are LBs that run 4.6-4.65 and are 6'3"+, I am not seeing the mismatch. Throw-in that he didn't dominate scoring in 3 years in college and I don't see Ebron as a great value at 9. Still, I see him worth the 15-20th pick.