Playoffs?

Jmlski7

O-line is better at LG and probably will upgrade in the draft. TE Moeaki is a possible depth upgrade and maybe Ebron. Woods and Goodwin get another year to develop. Supposedly WR's take a year or 2 to develop. Add a health Stevie and Williams. Add a healthy Spiller and Dixon. Manuel if he stays healthy should be much better with a better line, more time to develop, and better weapons. Our d-line is rock solid. Spikes solidifies the middle. Kiko should be better on the outside. Gilmoure should be better not being injured. Williams has another year at saftey. Also the addition of Graham helps. Am I wrong to expect December games won't be meaningless?

Our O-Line is not better, yet. We lost one of the best playmaking safeties in the league. Our QB has knee and accuracy problems. Our best WR drops clutch passes, and we just traded for another one with past attitude issues. Spiller looked like a shell of his 2012 self last season. Our seemingly dependable TE drops more and more passes each year (and fumbled away a victory).

On other hand, another year of development, there is no way we have as many injuries in our secondary as last season, we seemingly shored up our run D, and we still have the draft left to add more.

While we certainly could be in the mix, to seem so certain about it seems a bit crazy to me at this point.

Edited by Mark80

Our O-Line is not better, yet. We lost one of the best playmaking safeties in the league. Our QB has knee and accuracy problems. Our best WR drops clutch passes, and we just traded for another one with past attitude issues. Spiller looked like a shell of his 2012 self last season. Our seemingly dependable TE drops more and more passes each year (and fumbled away a victory).

On other hand, another year of development, there is no way we have as many injuries in our secondary as last season, we seemingly shored up our run D, and we still have the draft left to add more.

While we certainly could be in the mix, to seem so certain about it seems a bit crazy to me at this point.

Exactly....the Bills still haven't properly replaced Andy Levitre. I expect that to take at least 3 years, which is the Bills MO on replacing good players.

Injuries are what derailed Dick Jauron every year as the team virtually had no depth at any position. Injuries are what killed Chan Gailey in 2011 when the team started the season 5-2, and then went down the toilet when C Eric Wood went on IR after the next game. The team had no adequate backup at center, and the result was complete chaos on that Bills O line as they scrambled to make do. Against Miami that year they couldn't even get a decent snap off the entire game.

Last year Urbik was forced to play despite an injury because the only backups were directly off the waiver wire. They still have no quality depth.

We need another OT more than anything. If we do that we can be in the running for a playoff spot. In fact, if we don't come close (very close) to playoff spot I think Marrone will be on te hot seat. Playoffs are doable.

The playoffs were more doable last year with that easy schedule, and that 9-7 got the Chargers in the playoffs. This year will be more difficult as both the Jets and Dolphins will be improved, and Marrone has now shown he can't beat Belichick / Brady either.

One OT isn't likely to save this team from another year of bad QB play, because the QB's simply won't have the time in the pocket to make many good plays. OG Chris Williams is more suited to be a backup, as is Legursky. Some teams get a pleasant surprise when a backup steps in for the starter and performs well. With this team some of the starters wouldn't even be backups on other teams, because that is where half of them are from, released backups. I see the line as still needing three of the five positions requiring upgrading, and the depth at many positions is still very poor.

Can the current line compete with the bad teams, probably. Can they compete with the good to great teams, and possible playoff teams, no way.

If only this team put as much effort into the O line as they do the D line, then the team might actually make the playoffs...and win!

JMO

I agree with these comments.........but, believe we WILL at least have meaningful December games which is an improvement over the last decade.

will come down to EJ and the run defense

I think mostly comes down to EJ. Put an average NFL QB on this team and we make the playoffs. We will know what we have in EJ after this season. Another reason I don't want to trade up in this draft, because we might have to next year.

Don't assume that the LG position is better. Chris Williams is one of the worst starters at any position in the NFL.

The playoffs will depend on EJ's play.

I'm thinking Chris Williams is a backup. We will likely draft a guard, or a tackle who plays multiple positions.

Cue the Jim Mora "Playoffs?" bit. (I love it by the way)

Here you go!

All hinges on this draft & Manuel. The offensive line still needs major help at RT & more depth. They simply weren't good enough last season & losing Levitre was a much bigger loss then they thought.

Adding one of top 3 OTs in the 1st is critical IMO. They get one of the worst RTs in league out of lineup & provide us versatility. Any of them can slide over to LT if Glenn goes down. Matthews can play any position on the line. If you can dominate in the trenches, that makes life easier for everyone else. I would also like to see them add another guard as soon as the 3rd or 4th.

TE also is a major hole. Chandler is not a starting NFL TE; he'd be a great TE2. Would love Niklas in the 2nd due to his blocking ability & he's an actual in-line TE.

Those 2 moves along with Williams move gives Manuel 3 legit red zone options along with much better protection. We need the passing game to produce so teams can't stack the box on Spiller/Fjax.

I think the defense is playoff caliber. Especially if the offense can improve & put them in better spots

As always our best season is the off season. Good thing no other team has improved. 7-9 if we get lucky.

I'm a lot more optimistic. I had a very intricate break down but lost it so here is a quick run down:

We have a playoff caliber defense. Our defensive line is the best in the league:

Mario Williams - 13 sacks

Kyle Williams - 10.5 sacks

Marcell Dareus - 7.5 sacks

Jerry Hughes / Manny Lawson - 10 sacks / 4 sacks

That is 45 sacks from just our line. That would be good enough for 7th overall in the NFL. 57 sacks total.

With such a dominating pass rush, its no surprise we were 2nd in the league in INT's with 23 (Byrd only had 4). They also forced 12 fumbles (6 recovered)

It wasn't all great though. The run defense was an issue. Luckily, we have a GM that "gets it". All he did was sign the top rated ILB against the run over the past 2 seasons in the prime of his career in Brandon Spikes. NE's d-line was in shambles last season & I can't wait to see what he can do playing behind our line. He is the type of LB this team has needed desperately for ages.

That signing also allows us to move Kiko Alonso outside where he should be able to make even more plays. All he did his rookie year was put up 159 tackles. 2 sacks, 4 INT's. and 8 passes defended.

Signing Graham gives us 4 legit CB's, which is very important in today's game: Gilmore & McKelvin outside / Roby & Graham inside

The defense also faced the 7th most plays due to the offense only having 28:40 of possession. If we can improve the offense, the defense should thrive and become an elite unit. Players like Gilmore, Alonso, Dareus, A. Williams, Roby, & Spikes will only improve as well with more experience.

The offense doesn't need to be the Bronco's for this team to make the playoffs. They just need to keep Manuel healthy & allow him the opportunity to progress in his 2nd year. The offense was so terribly one-dimensional last season that it was doomed. Between Manuel/Lewis/Tuel, teams knew they could stack the box & they weren't going to be beaten by the passing game. That left Spiller and FJax facing a lot of 8 man fronts & 3 and outs. We really need Manuel to step up & be able to utilize his 3 very good WR's. Make teams pay for stacking the box on Spiller/FJax. If he can do that, I see no reason Spiller can't return to 2012 form and even improve on that.

The offensive line was atrocious which is what should be addressed in the first with one of the big 3 OT's & then a OG as early as the 3rd. Mike Williams was a great addition and gives them another red-zone threat (25 TD's in less then 4 seasons). TE is the next biggest holes and we should be able to find a major upgrade at 41. Whether that is ASJ or Niklas. I like Chandler but think he is much better suited for TE2... I just don't trust him in big situations.

If they can address the o-line in this draft with at least a legit starting RT, I can see us being a wild card team.

Edited by smapdi