Offensive Line Draft picks are more successful

"If only"

If only the Bills would put as much effort into building a decent O line as they have the D line the last 15 years they might have had some success with a QB. Because this team refuses to build a complete line, and tries to get by with late round scrubs that almost never pan out. If only the Bills would draft as must talent for the offense as they have for the defense.

Let's face some facts here, anyone drafted after the second round usually doesn't last long in a Bills uni. So, here is hoping the Bills use their first two picks on an OG / OT or this offense is in the toilet again this year.

The Buffalo Bills graded #1 in rushing attempts, #2 in rushing yards...and yet ranked 29th in run blocking by PFF, and 16th by Football outsiders. Then considering their breakdown of exactly how the bills ran the ball is most disconcerting to me. 456 carries, Left end 6%- Left tackle 11%- mid guard 70%-Right tackle 10%- Right end 3%. So freaking predictable, and also tells me that should anything happen to center Eric Wood the Bills are completely screwed.

Those stats also tell me that the Bills have a pair of elite RB's in Fred Jackson & CJ Spiller who made a lot of yards on their own without decent run blocking.

For the life of me I can't understand why this team would replace its best pass blocker with utter garbage in Colin Brown, David Snow, and then Doug Legursky...all the while starting a corps of rookie QB's. Now this off season so far the Bills signed new free agent Chris Williams who graded as the worst player on that Rams O line last year. Just like Legursky graded as the worst player on the Steelers line.

I just don't get how this team undervalues the importance of a top line.

Couldn't agree more. I don't understand how anyone can be against taking an elite OT in the 1st?? Elite big men don't grow on trees; there is a reason the top OT's get picked consistently high, There just aren't that many players out there who are 6'6" / 310 lb's that can move.

Adding a top OT is almost a no-brainer to me:

-Immediate impact at their worst position (Pears was the worst run-blocking RT in the league)

-They will make a difference on every single snap- Ebron or Evans might catch 50 ballls; and that's if Manuel can even stay upright

-Versatility- If Glenn goes down, we can slide over Matthews or Lewan and not skip a beat. Matthews has the ability to play every single spot on the line

-Will give us two top tier, bookend tackles for the next decade

-We spent a 1st on Manuel- we got him some weapons and now we need to protect him

-If Manuel isn't the answer, we have a good line in place for the next QB

After I went OT at 9, I would begin looking at the best OG available in the 3rd round. Depth is critical unless you want Legursky or Colin Brown back in there

I'm also all for Niklas at 41 for our new TE. One of the few TE's that played on the line and is known for his dominating blocking. 6'6" / 270lb that loves to block. Like another OT out there. Games are won and lost in the trenches and it was clear that our o-line was just not good enough last season.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't agree more. I don't understand how anyone can be against taking an elite OT in the 1st?? Elite big men don't grow on trees; there is a reason the top OT's get picked consistently high, There just aren't that many players out there who are 6'6" / 310 lb's that can move.

-Immediate impact at their worst position (Pears was the worst run-blocking RT in the league)

-They will make a difference on every single snap- Ebron or Evans might catch 50 ballls; and that's if Manuel can even stay upright

-Versatility- If Glenn goes down, we can slide over Matthews or Lewan and not skip a beat. Matthews has the ability to play every single spot on the line

-We spent a 1st on Manuel- we got him some weapons and now we need to protect him

After I went OT at 9, I would begin looking at the best OG available in the 3rd round. Depth is critical unless you want Legursky or Colin Brown back in there

I'm also all for Niklas at 41 for our new TE. One of the few TE's that played on the line and is known for his dominating blocking. 6'6" / 270lb that loves to block. Like another OT out there. Games are won and lost in the trenches and it was clear that our o-line was just not good enough last season.

For my part, I'm not against taking an elite anything in round 1...in fact that's all I care about.

I'm only against this-position-or-bust thinking, with the one possible exception being a QB in the event that you don't have a franchise candidate on your roster.

Oh and I agree about Niklas in rd 2

I'm on board with an elite RT. Originally I wanted Evans, but now that we have Williams, it is logical to shore up the line. If we create a dominating line, EJ will look better out there. Look what happened to Manning in the SB.

They have an ok line, and great weapons. I feel like we need to prepare not for NE, but as if we were playing Seattle every week. We keep the defense away from EJ, and give him another big target, and we will improve. A Guard in the 3rd or 4th is fine.

Here's where the starters on the Bills' 1991 offensive line were drafted: 1, 1, free agent from the USFL (did you know Kent Hull's first name was James?), 11 (FA), and 11. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/1991_roster.htm The current Bills' projected o line starters' draft round: 2, 1 (FA), 1, 3 (FA), and UDFA (only 7 rounds now though).

Here is a breakdown of all OTs from 1980 to 2012. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/T-1980-now.htm for some reason, people think it is safe to draft a OT high. There are a lot of busts. Also, a lot of solid to good starters who don't receive a 2nd contract from their original team (Long, Monroe, Brown(s), Cherlius, Albert, etc.). It seems to me that teams are willing to sink big bucks into the OT position like they were before. Why do you think that is? The only definites about the draft is there are no definites. I hate the idea of a RT that high but if the Bills honestly have a RT rated that high, I guess I'm cool with it. But IMO, good teams aren't spending top 10 picks on RTs. And I wanted Bulaga over Spiller. Bulaga is a slightly better Pears.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I think I've finally settled on this for the first 2 picks as well.

I don't think the Bills have said peep about Lewan, so they may be thinking his personality is too volatile also?

Edited by TPS

Unfortunately for fans like us the Bills FO doesn't see things the way the we see things, as in addressing the O line seems to be an afterthought to them. Almost as if they could get away with having a line of complete nobody's that they can pay almost nothing... then that would be their dream scenario.

My take on this FO hiring Doug Marrone is to groom young QB's, and make things work while not putting a lot of resources into the O line. Just kinda like the way this team hired Chan Gailey because he was supposedly able to win games without a top QB, and without a top line. The team wants Marrone to make the offense successful despite having a top line. Probably because Marrone's background is distinctly tied to the O line. Ex NFL O line player, ex NFL O line coach, ex NFL OC. Sows ear, silk purse type of thing.

Now that the Seahawks won the superbowl because of having the #1 defense in the NFL. I get the distinct impression that the team will go linebacker, safety, DB, or anything but an OT with the #9 pick. Even if the team should trade back I wouldn't expect an O linemen, anything but an O lineman.

Sadly, my take is this failure to build a top O line will be this regimes legacy of failure. Just like the failure of the last 14 years of failed head coaches, GM's. Russ Brandon will be forever known as a failed CEO for the Buffalo Bills.

Unfortunately for fans like us the Bills FO doesn't see things the way the we see things, as in addressing the O line seems to be an afterthought to them. Almost as if they could get away with having a line of complete nobody's that they can pay almost nothing... then that would be their dream scenario.

My take on this FO hiring Doug Marrone is to groom young QB's, and make things work while not putting a lot of resources into the O line. Just kinda like the way this team hired Chan Gailey because he was supposedly able to win games without a top QB, and without a top line. The team wants Marrone to make the offense successful despite having a top line. Probably because Marrone's background is distinctly tied to the O line. Ex NFL O line player, ex NFL O line coach, ex NFL OC. Sows ear, silk purse type of thing.

Now that the Seahawks won the superbowl because of having the #1 defense in the NFL. I get the distinct impression that the team will go linebacker, safety, DB, or anything but an OT with the #9 pick. Even if the team should trade back I wouldn't expect an O linemen, anything but an O lineman.

Sadly, my take is this failure to build a top O line will be this regimes legacy of failure. Just like the failure of the last 14 years of failed head coaches, GM's. Russ Brandon will be forever known as a failed CEO for the Buffalo Bills.

The oline after the Bills signed Dockery and Walker to big contracts set a franchise record for fewest sacks allowed. We went 7-9.

Here's where the starters on the Bills' 1991 offensive line were drafted: 1, 1, free agent from the USFL (did you know Kent Hull's first name was James?), 11 (FA), and 11. http://www.pro-footb...1991_roster.htm The current Bills' projected o line starters' draft round: 2, 1 (FA), 1, 3 (FA), and UDFA (only 7 rounds now though).

Here is a breakdown of all OTs from 1980 to 2012. http://www.pro-footb.../T-1980-now.htm for some reason, people think it is safe to draft a OT high. There are a lot of busts. Also, a lot of solid to good starters who don't receive a 2nd contract from their original team (Long, Monroe, Brown(s), Cherlius, Albert, etc.). It seems to me that teams are willing to sink big bucks into the OT position like they were before. Why do you think that is? The only definites about the draft is there are no definites. I hate the idea of a RT that high but if the Bills honestly have a RT rated that high, I guess I'm cool with it. But IMO, good teams aren't spending top 10 picks on RTs. And I wanted Bulaga over Spiller. Bulaga is a slightly better Pears.

You keep beating this same drum over, and over thinking that because nobody disputed it, It is the correct way to think. Far from it!

LT Jake Long should have been resigned by the Dolphins and their GM was more then likely fired because of that singular stupid move. Then after not getting Long resigned, moving Jonathan Martin from RT to LT, and he stunk it up the previous year at RT. So this move to not get Long resigned before his contract was up was about as lame as the Bills letting Andy Levitre / Jairus Byrd leave with nothing in return.

The Dolphins did in fact offer long a contract, and as a free agent he was able to take the offer from the Rams who offered more money.

Would it surprise you to find that Brandon Albert originally was graded, and drafted drafted as an OG? Albert played all 37 games of his three year career as an OG while at Virginia. Tackle was listed as his second position.

Brandon Albert was moved to tackle by the Chiefs where he struggled greatly his first few years at tackle. The last few years Albert improved his play at tackle and the Chiefs franchised him last year. For 2013 Albert was a key component in helping the Chiefs get to the playoffs, and even though he played in only 12 games he was named to the pro bowl. He also helped Jamaal Charles reach 1980 all purpose yards. The Chiefs wanted Brandon Albert to remain a Chief but he wanted more money then they wanted to pay him...sound familiar?

Again, Albert was a free agent and could go to the highest bidder, which happened to be the Miami Dolphins. The Chiefs drafted OT Eric Fisher with the #1 overall pick last year with the expressed thought of replacing Albert simply because that would be more cost effective for them.

To lazy at this point to look into those others you mentioned. Just get the facts right about why teams didn't resign their players. You made it sound like those teams no longer wanted those players, and nothing could be further from the truth. The Bills just lost two players in free agency that they wanted to keep, and simply refused to pay what other teams were willing to pay, same stuff.

I can tell you right now that because the current Bills FO doesn't put much value on O line players, that it will be their undoing.

I can tell you right now that because the current Bills FO doesn't put much value on O line players, that it will be their undoing.

Shouldn't there be an if in that sentence somewhere?

At this point I'd say that it is fairly indeterminable just how much value the current Bills FO puts on O line players. We did sign Wood to an early extension......and we are looking pretty happy with Glenn at the highest value OL position.

Perhaps give the new FO a full year before you make judgements.

The oline after the Bills signed Dockery and Walker to big contracts set a franchise record for fewest sacks allowed. We went 7-9.

Stats don't always tell the entire story. That season the Bills also had fabled 28 year veteran O line coach Jim McNally, a man who was able to get that O line to overachieve that year. Sadly, that was McNally's last year in Buffalo, and then that line went to hell under a new rookie O line coach the next year. Jauron was keen on promoting from within his staff, and both his OC, and O line coaches were rookies who caused a lot of loses after that year IMO.

I remember that season as Dick Jauron kept pulling Losman for Edwards. Losman went 2-5, and rookie QB Trent Edwards went 5-4. The Bills were 30th in points scored, and 30th in yards. Steve Fairchild was implementing a new offensive scheme that year. A scheme that never proved fruitful.

Dockery, and Walker never lived up to what the Bills paid them in free agency, and also caused all pro LT Jason Peters to become disgruntled because of the Bills overpaying those two losers.

Stats don't always tell the entire story. That season the Bills also had fabled 28 year veteran O line coach Jim McNally, a man who was able to get that O line to overachieve that year. Sadly, that was McNally's last year in Buffalo, and then that line went to hell under a new rookie O line coach the next year. Jauron was keen on promoting from within his staff, and both his OC, and O line coaches were rookies who caused a lot of loses after that year IMO.

I remember that season as Dick Jauron kept pulling Losman for Edwards. Losman went 2-5, and rookie QB Trent Edwards went 5-4. The Bills were 30th in points scored, and 30th in yards. Steve Fairchild was implementing a new offensive scheme that year. A scheme that never proved fruitful.

Dockery, and Walker never lived up to what the Bills paid them in free agency, and also caused all pro LT Jason Peters to become disgruntled because of the Bills overpaying those two losers.

All I'm going to say is I agree we need talented linemen. I just disagree on where you need to draft them. History has shown that good linemen can be found in a lot of different places - later in the draft, FAcy. Good o line play is depended on chemistry more than anything. You want guy who have played together for years. You don't need the outright physical talent to play oline than you need at corner. You can't fake being a slow cb but as a linemen, you can get by with veteran smarts and knowing the guy next to you.

I seriously hate the idea of a RT at #9. It's a waste of a pick to get a legit playmaker, because legit playmakers rarely hit FAcy. It's all about EJ. I'd rather get a playmaker like a TE or LB than a RT at 9. then, you draft the OT from Bama and get a guard later (I think John Urschel will great value late in the draft because of his smarts).

Shouldn't there be an if in that sentence somewhere?

At this point I'd say that it is fairly indeterminable just how much value the current Bills FO puts on O line players. We did sign Wood to an early extension......and we are looking pretty happy with Glenn at the highest value OL position.

Perhaps give the new FO a full year before you make judgements.

I did Dibs, it was last year. If Whaley gets credit for Jerry Hughes, Kiko, Alan Branch. then he should get the blame for Doug Legursky, Colin Brown, David Snow.

How did the Bills replace their best pass blocker in Andy levitre? With complete, and utter garbage players that were cut outright by week six. Nobody on this staff saw how bad those players were before the season? Who did the bills bring in to backup center Eric Wood last year. The very worst graded player from a bad Steeler O line.

Who did the bills sign for the O line in free agency so far this year? Oh yea, the very worst graded player from the Rams. So far it looks like SSDY.

All I'm going to say is I agree we need talented linemen. I just disagree on where you need to draft them. History has shown that good linemen can be found in a lot of different places - later in the draft, FAcy. Good o line play is depended on chemistry more than anything. You want guy who have played together for years. You don't need the outright physical talent to play oline than you need at corner. You can't fake being a slow cb but as a linemen, you can get by with veteran smarts and knowing the guy next to you.

I seriously hate the idea of a RT at #9. It's a waste of a pick to get a legit playmaker, because legit playmakers rarely hit FAcy. It's all about EJ. I'd rather get a playmaker like a TE or LB than a RT at 9. then, you draft the OT from Bama and get a guard later (I think John Urschel will great value late in the draft because of his smarts).

Later in the draft, like how much later?

Look at the draft history of this team, and tell me who is an actual decent starter that was drafted after round two? Kyle Williams 5th, Terrence McGee 4th, Stevie Johnson 7th. So, like 3 players out of 50 drafted after the 2nd round are decent.

Now look at all the playmakers the Bills have drafted over the last decade, and how many helped them get to the playoffs...exactly! Spiller, James Hardy, Lynch, Roscoe Parrish, Lee Evans, Willis McGahee, Josh Reed, Travis Henry all first, and second round picks.

Now look at all the playmakers the Bills have drafted over the last decade, and how many helped them get to the playoffs...exactly! Spiller, James Hardy, Lynch, Roscoe Parrish, Lee Evans, Willis McGahee, Josh Reed, Travis Henry all first, and second round picks.

Not to get back into this conversation with you but in that same period the Bills drafted Mike Williams, Eric Wood, Cordy Glenn and Andy Levitre in the 1st two rounds. In addition, they signed high priced free agents Derrick Dockery and Langston Walker. They have not signed any free agent WR or RB in that period to that type of money (including TO). If I am forgetting someone just let me know.

That looks like 8 skill players that were obtained by 1st or 2nd round picks. 4 of those guys played in the Pro Bowl in a Bills uniform and Evans had a few really good years. That looks like 6 OL that they have invested highly in and none has been to a Pro Bowl. I firmly believe that will change with Glenn.

You know where I stand on this topic. I still don't want a RT at 9 because I think that you can get good ones still. I would be okay with Matthews at 9 (not Lewan). Ideally, I would like to see a trade up or down. If they stay at 9 I would like the 1st 3 rounds to look like this: Ebron (I guess), Moses, and Gabe Jackson. This gets you a playmaker, a starting RT and a starting LG. Chandler moves to your 2nd TE, Chris Williams is your swing OL on the interior and Chris Hairton is your swing guy on the outside.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Not to get back into this conversation with you but in that same period the Bills drafted Mike Williams, Eric Wood, Cordy Glenn and Andy Levitre in the 1st two rounds. In addition, they signed high priced free agents Derrick Dockery and Langston Walker. They have not signed any free agent WR or RB in that period to that type of money (including TO). If I am forgetting someone just let me know.

That looks like 8 skill players that were obtained by 1st or 2nd round picks. 4 of those guys played in the Pro Bowl in a Bills uniform and Evans had a few really good years. That looks like 6 OL that they have invested highly in and none has been to a Pro Bowl. I firmly believe that will change with Glenn.

You know where I stand on this topic. I still don't want a RT at 9 because I think that you can get good ones still. I would be okay with Matthews at 9 (not Lewan). Ideally, I would like to see a trade up or down. If they stay at 9 I would like the 1st 3 rounds to look like this: Ebron (I guess), Moses, and Gabe Jackson. This gets you a playmaker, a starting RT and a starting LG. Chandler moves to your 2nd TE, Chris Williams is your swing OL on the interior and Chris Hairton is your swing guy on the outside.

Jeez, only 4 O line players drafted in the first two rounds over the last decade. is it any wonder as to why this team failed for so long? You talk about bust rate on OT's / O linemen....3 of 4 of those players are studs. Levitre, Wood, Glenn

And Mike D Williams was taken over Bryant McKinnie. An OT who BTW is STILL in the league. Something that speaks volumes about the Bills scouting department with Tom Modrak as the chief scout. Imagine how much better this team would have fared over the last 14 years with a consistent solid player at OT. Probably would have kept Jason Peters at RT, and never would have had the need to bring in two bad players in free agency. BTW John Guy also sucked big time as the Bills free agent scout. Both Modrak, and Guy were replaced when Nix was hired.

I really like the idea of a trade back in which the Bills land a TE, OG, OT in any order. Sadly, I just don't see this regime of fools doing that, they seem more intent on making that defense better.

Matthews is a pipe dream for a lot of fans here as the man won't be there at #9.

Edited by FeartheLosing

Jeez, only 4 O line players drafted in the first two rounds over the last decade. is it any wonder as to why this team failed for so long? You talk about bust rate on OT's / O linemen....3 of 4 of those players are studs. Levitre, Wood, Glenn

It's actually only 3 O line players drafted in the first two rounds over the last decade(11 years actually....Williams was 2002, which was 12 drafts ago).

It can also be said that they have drafted 3 O line players in the first two rounds in the last 6 years.......which is actually pretty good considering that most teams don't stack their O line with 5 guys from the first two rounds.

It's actually only 3 O line players drafted in the first two rounds over the last decade(11 years actually....Williams was 2002, which was 12 drafts ago).

It can also be said that they have drafted 3 O line players in the first two rounds in the last 6 years.......which is actually pretty good considering that most teams don't stack their O line with 5 guys from the first two rounds.

Howsabout 19 years that only 5 O line players drafted in the first, and second rounds. You can take this back to 1995 in which they drafted an OG with the 14th pick in Ruben Brown. A player who was an 8x pro bowler, and played in the NFL 12 years. This was John Butler doing the drafting. God forbid an OG drafted in the first round...what a waste.

Darn shame that the best pass blocker of the bunch is already on a different team, Levitre, Wood, Glenn. One step forward, and two steps backwards. Each time the Bills are close to building a top O line they change directions towards the defense.

I did Dibs, it was last year. If Whaley gets credit for Jerry Hughes, Kiko, Alan Branch. then he should get the blame for Doug Legursky, Colin Brown, David Snow.

Whoever is responsible for O line pickups should be fired. Seriously, how does 1 team pickup such a BAD group of players?

Who are the guys scouting them? Those guys may have been the worsst in the league last year.

How did the Bills replace their best pass blocker in Andy levitre? With complete, and utter garbage players that were cut outright by week six. Nobody on this staff saw how bad those players were before the season? Who did the bills bring in to backup center Eric Wood last year. The very worst graded player from a bad Steeler O line.

Who did the bills sign for the O line in free agency so far this year? Oh yea, the very worst graded player from the Rams. So far it looks like SSDY.

Later in the draft, like how much later?

Look at the draft history of this team, and tell me who is an actual decent starter that was drafted after round two? Kyle Williams 5th, Terrence McGee 4th, Stevie Johnson 7th. So, like 3 players out of 50 drafted after the 2nd round are decent.

I'm starting to think the best option is a trade down with the Browns (who would do so to get their QB after taking one of the elite players at 4). The Browns would give the Bills picks 26, 35, and 83 in exchange for the the Bills 9 and 109 (both of these come out at 1425 on the trade value chart). This would give the Bills picks 26, 35, and 41, as well as 73 and 83 in R3. With those first 3 picks they could address OT, TE, and any other position.