The Fans can keep the Bills in Buffalo

And it is up to the fans. But bottom line, no more lowest ticket prices in the NFL. Think on this, if you add just 25.00 per ticket that is 200.00 total per year to the ticket holder or someone buying all 8 home games. Lets say 200.00 more per year for say 65000 seats = 13 million in new revenue each year. Add to that you sell the naming rights to the stadium, that can be 5 mill more per year. Now I get the sentimentality of keeping ralphs name on the building, fine let mary pay 5 mill per year to keep it there out of the sale of the Bills. If you want to keep the Bills in Buffalo, its not about being sentimental, its about Business and that extra 5 million matters.

Then there is the fanbase. It will be tough to convince 24 owners to let the Bills move. First off this team has about 30 mill per year (in a couple articles I have read) taxable Profit after all the debt is paid each year. That should be 18 million or so net. Then add to that the potential 20 mill or so listed above. Now lets say they have a net profit of say 30 mill per year, you also history of the NFL that is still huge AND a fan base that sells out even if the team sucks, let alone wins.

Increase ticket prices, get naming rights, make sure luxury boxes sell and put a winner on the field and it is going to be damn near impossible for a new owner to move.

I have another idea, the NFL wants a face when talking ownership,

My idea is simple, Jim Kelly has a handsome face,

start a money drive with all proceeds going to JK...

Jimbo has his own battles and there is no guarantee he will be here this time next year. And sorry but your idea has nothing to do with ownership. It will need to be an independent Billionaire that has more than enough money to not only pay 1 billion for the team, but have a few billion stashed as well just in case. Jimbo is a millionaire, I doubt he even has 30 million net personally. Make no mistake its about money mostly with the NFL. And as for as a handsome face for the NFL, have you seen Khan or however you spell the name of the owner of the Jags? Obviously they do NOT care what the owner looks like

Jimbo has his own battles and there is no guarantee he will be here this time next year. And sorry but your idea has nothing to do with ownership. It will need to be an independent Billionaire that has more than enough money to not only pay 1 billion for the team, but have a few billion stashed as well just in case. Jimbo is a millionaire, I doubt he even has 30 million net personally. Make no mistake its about money mostly with the NFL. And as for as a handsome face for the NFL, have you seen Khan or however you spell the name of the owner of the Jags? Obviously they do NOT care what the owner looks like

wasn't trying to hijack your thread OP

JK has a handsome face for many reasons when it comes to donations...

And it is up to the fans. But bottom line, no more lowest ticket prices in the NFL. Think on this, if you add just 25.00 per ticket that is 200.00 total per year to the ticket holder or someone buying all 8 home games. Lets say 200.00 more per year for say 65000 seats = 13 million in new revenue each year. Add to that you sell the naming rights to the stadium, that can be 5 mill more per year. Now I get the sentimentality of keeping ralphs name on the building, fine let mary pay 5 mill per year to keep it there out of the sale of the Bills. If you want to keep the Bills in Buffalo, its not about being sentimental, its about Business and that extra 5 million matters.

Then there is the fanbase. It will be tough to convince 24 owners to let the Bills move. First off this team has about 30 mill per year (in a couple articles I have read) taxable Profit after all the debt is paid each year. That should be 18 million or so net. Then add to that the potential 20 mill or so listed above. Now lets say they have a net profit of say 30 mill per year, you also history of the NFL that is still huge AND a fan base that sells out even if the team sucks, let alone wins.

Increase ticket prices, get naming rights, make sure luxury boxes sell and put a winner on the field and it is going to be damn near impossible for a new owner to move.

I see where you are going and appreciate the sentiment. However:

1) The taxable profit statement, though true while Mr. Wilson owned the Bills was due to the fact that he had no debt. Any new ownership paying upwards of a billion dollars for the team will almost certainly not be in the same situation.

2) As far as ticket prices go, who can afford to pay more and sellout easier, people in Buffalo or people in LA, San Antonio, etc.?

3) Suite sales are VERY tough in Buffalo due to the bad economy. That was one purpose of the Toronto experiment, to see if they could entice Toronto businesses to pony up for the suites. And as in number 2 above, do you think it would be easier and more profitable to sell the suites in Buffalo or a larger, considerably more affluent, and considerably more high end businesses area?

To sum up, you will never ever be able to make a business case that has Buffalo being better than a large market. No matter how many "what if the fans sell out every game and pay $X more per ticket" scenarios you dream up. The only way the Bills stay in Buffalo, in my opinion, is for a white knight (or group of them) to step up and forgo business case in favor of the emotional case.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Pegula, Galisano have both been white knights before and have both said they would everything they could to help ensure the Bills stay in buffalo.

Jacobs, Rich, and anyone that may be involved with Kelly's ownership group (regardless of he's around or not) would surely have a stake in keeping the team in Buffalo.

I see where you are going and appreciate the sentiment. However:

1) The taxable profit statement, though true while Mr. Wilson owned the Bills was due to the fact that he had no debt. Any new ownership paying upwards of a billion dollars for the team will almost certainly not be in the same situation.

2) As far as ticket prices go, who can afford to pay more and sellout easier, people in Buffalo or people in LA, San Antonio, etc.?

3) Suite sales are VERY tough in Buffalo due to the bad economy. That was one purpose of the Toronto experiment, to see if they could entice Toronto businesses to pony up for the suites. And as in number 2 above, do you think it would be easier and more profitable to sell the suites in Buffalo or a larger, considerably more affluent, and considerably more high end businesses area?

To sum up, you will never ever be able to make a business case that has Buffalo being better than a large market. No matter how many "what if the fans sell out every game and pay $X more per ticket" scenarios you dream up. The only way the Bills stay in Buffalo, in my opinion, is for a white knight (or group of them) to step up and forgo business case in favor of the emotional case.

I was wondering if the Bills offer one-game rentals for any unsold suites?

PTR

Not sure how much you know about San Antonio, but I lived there for 3 years. It's totally a Cowboys market and Jerry Jones will NEVER cede it to anyone. Also, while it is a highly populated area, it's not a wealthy area.

Pegula, Galisano have both been white knights before and have both said they would everything they could to help ensure the Bills stay in buffalo.

Jacobs, Rich, and anyone that may be involved with Kelly's ownership group (regardless of he's around or not) would surely have a stake in keeping the team in Buffalo.

Golisano also said the more likely it looked like the team would move, the more interested he would be in trying to buy the team. He must have a suite that he uses for glad handing people.

Gundlach has said he would buy the Bills to keep them in Buffalo.

http://blogs.wsj.com...terested-buyer/

You do realize things change in 3 years right? how about hearing NOW how he feels about it. And I was trying originally to paint as rosy a scenario as I could but honestly, I can't see any way a new owner keeps the team here. WNY just can not afford anywhere near what other markets can. Reality is this team has maybe 6 years left (if new owner isn't willing to pay the 400 mil fine) before its moved. That is reality and its been that way for about 2 decades now. Once Ralph passed, the clock started ticking on a move. And Fans can point to owners or Goddell saying this and that, the bottom line is MONEY. A new owner shows the Team will take less in revenue sharing and make the league more money, he will have the votes to move.

You do realize things change in 3 years right? how about hearing NOW how he feels about it. And I was trying originally to paint as rosy a scenario as I could but honestly, I can't see any way a new owner keeps the team here. WNY just can not afford anywhere near what other markets can. Reality is this team has maybe 6 years left (if new owner isn't willing to pay the 400 mil fine) before its moved. That is reality and its been that way for about 2 decades now. Once Ralph passed, the clock started ticking on a move. And Fans can point to owners or Goddell saying this and that, the bottom line is MONEY. A new owner shows the Team will take less in revenue sharing and make the league more money, he will have the votes to move.

He also acknowledged that buying a sports franchise in Western New York isn’t a huge growth opportunity. “It’s not an investment,” he said. “It’s because I love the Bills.”

Furthermore, if "the bottom line is MONEY," why didn't Ralph Wilson move the team?

Whoever buys the Bills will most likely undertake a significant amount of debt. Servicing that debt will be a large sum which would wipe any annual profit currently existing with the Bills ticket sales, etc. To keep the Bills in Buffalo, I think you need a group who can buy the Bills and also buy and build a new domed stadium that can be a multipurpose venue where the new ownership makes revenue year round on Bills games, concerts, college football games, maybe a college bowl game, NCAA basketball tourney, etc. I don't like bringing up Jerry Jones but he's doing this in Dallas. No, I'm not suggesting a stadium like the Cowboys although it is pretty impressive. Saw the Bills play there a few years ago.

Jeffrey Gundlach, manager of Doubleline Capital grew up in Buffalo. He lives in LA now, so that might not be so good.

or could be that like a lot of people that grew up in Buffalo and left, he wants to see the Bills stay there. Most people who left did so for economic reasons. (i.e. job).

Another thing that needs to be looked at is NYS granting a tax abatement to whoever purchases the team. The taxes in NYS are high. If they vanished for a while, and came back at a reduced rate, perhaps NYS could keep its only football team.

Edited by RyanC883

Here's my idea, whether the Ralph or a new sight for the stadium is determined best then divide the land into a pie. Give each of the WNY counties a slice to add to existing land boundaries and then split the county portion to include a tax for all of the WNY counties. If this is truly supposed to be a regional team and Erie county can't go it alone then spread the cost among the many counties with fans supporting the regional team. I know it would never happen, too many people are against raising taxes for a millioners toy. But if a new owner was found that wanted to keep the team here it would not be to make as much money as possible.

I have no link but everything I have seen in the past is against raising taxes for a new stadium, this site being an exception. That is what scares me the most. If I were someone interested in moving the team I would be pushing hard to get any tax increase on the ballet as I would believe it has a good chance of failing. I guess if it needs a public vote and then it gets voted down, then the people have spoken and no longer care enough. What a shame that would be.

Edited by SRQ_BillsFan