Where Are They Now? – Jim Ritcher

He was a heck of a football player. He had those straps that kept his helmet attached to his neck roll. I called him pitbull because he mauled people especially when he pulled. I remember hearing an interview with Bill Romanowski here in Miami about 2 years ago and he was asked who hit him the hardest and who he hated playing against the most. Romanowski's answer? Jim Ritcher.

Jim Ritcher, Outland Trophy winner. Drafted in the FIRST round by Chuck Knox to play Center.

After about six fumbled snaps between him and Fergy... he was moved to guard.

Short arms, but a hell of a football player.

He was NOT a wasted draft pick folks.

I recal lreading a story a number of years back that one week he was able to get himself assigned to pilot the Bill's charter to their away game that week. From what I recall of the story, when the Bill's boarded the plane, he announced to them who he was and that he was their poilot that day. It was back far enough that a number of Bill's actually still knew who he was too.

Cool story, thanks for posting. I was introduced to Jim Ritcher at a Sabres Hurricanes game down here several years ago. We had a conversation for an entire intermission, and he spoke of his playing days and what he thought of Levy coming in as GM at the time. A very nice guy.

He is my friends neighbor, in Raleigh. Super humble, nice guy. For those of you that don't know, he is very well known in the NC State community. He is in their hall of fame, All- American, etc. If you met him today, you would never know he was a NFL football player, size wise. Him & his wife told me how much they loved their time in Buffalo. He also said he says the 'guys' once a year for a charity motorcycle ride that he does with a bunch of former Bills.

One of the classiest guys. I grew up around the Bills in the late 70's and 80's. Richter and Smerlas and J. Haslam where always really cool to me and my cousins. Jim was very cool.

He was a work out freak. I remember watching him in the gym and the guy was a beast. Throwing up like 400lbs on bench like it was nothing.

Glad he has transitioned so well and has an awesome life.