Duluth, GA - Opinions/Insight

Gugny

Considering expanding my job search to other states. There is an opportunity in Chamblee, GA, which looks pretty steep.

One of the surrounding areas which seems to a) more affordable and b) have decent public schools, is Duluth. A quick search on realtor.com showed some nice looking and very affordable houses.

I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with this area and if you could please offer your insight.

Many thanks.

- gugny

Considering expanding my job search to other states. There is an opportunity in Chamblee, GA, which looks pretty steep.

One of the surrounding areas which seems to a) more affordable and b) have decent public schools, is Duluth. A quick search on realtor.com showed some nice looking and very affordable houses.

I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with this area and if you could please offer your insight.

Many thanks.

- gugny

My cousin moved there about 8 years ago. She and her family love it. Nice communities, safe and newer shopping areas.

Schools are good but be warned of hypercomperitive kids (parents actually) . Always looking to out-do the other kids in terms or academics and activities. So depending if you have kids and the schooling they have been uaed to, this could come as a shock.

Gonna have to turn in your David Wright jerseys, it's time for some Chipper Jones worship now country boy!

Never. In. A. Million. Years.

My cousin moved there about 8 years ago. She and her family love it. Nice communities, safe and newer shopping areas.

Schools are good but be warned of hypercomperitive kids (parents actually) . Always looking to out-do the other kids in terms or academics and activities. So depending if you have kids and the schooling they have been uaed to, this could come as a shock.

It's the same here, Fan as far as the over-zealous parents. This is great input and I appreciate it!

Gwinnett county is not where I would want to be. That mess around 85 and 285 is pretty bad, although you take a highway road called Peachtree Industrial to Duluth. Atlanta is a high crime area, and Gwinnett County helps take care of more than it's fair share.

Everything is what you make of it. You can make Metro Atlanta as big and small, and as safe and not so safe as you want. Suburban neighborhoods for the most part are pretty safe.

Edited by Security

Many thanks.

- gugny

So we are going to be neighbors, kind of. I have a friend that lives over in Alpharetta. Not sure if you looked around in that area at all. I sent him a message to get that lay of the land in that area.

Alpharetta is one giant intersection of the busiest roads with malls and restaurants and stores and then there are good schools with reasonably priced VERY large homes. Reasonable to the now Atlanta, 175K -mostly 400K, but well above that. It is off of a highway called GA 400. You will fight traffic everywhere in metro Atlanta, aside from Gwinnett where 85 connects with 285, the worst traffic comes in the morning from Alpharetta south into the city, where it passes by Dunwoody, then to Buckhead, then to the downtown area. One good thing is that the MARTA runs this whole route, so if you want you can take the train to any of these areas if you do not want to drive. Me and the wife have no kids, so people like us stay away from Alpharetta, no reason for us to be there. More single people in ROswell, GA just nearby if you have no kids.

We have an 11-year-old son.

There is another job in Alpharetta that intrigues me.

I don't mind a commute. The job I've already applied for is in Chamblee. I threw Duluth out there, because it seemed like a decent area. If there are others that are under an hour (rush hour traffic) commute to Chamblee, I'm all ears.

Thanks, guys.

All in all you are picking decent areas. At the intersection of 285 and 75 on the north side is where the new Atlanta Braves stadium will be built. I live West of there in Mableton, and I work east of there, I work east of there, in Sandy SPrings/Dunwoody area. My commute blows. It is only less than 15 miles but it can take a long, long time. Part of my problem is I actually live on a road with 2 schools, and it is only 1 lane each way, and it is a cut through road in between 2 highway exits.

When the Braves stadium is built, I hope that I no longer live west of the stadium......assuming I still work east of there. I have basically worked in the area I am working in 10 years (3 different companies).

You living East, and working East of the new Braves stadium at that point would be a very good thing IMO. Sounds like you would.

All in all you are picking decent areas. At the intersection of 285 and 75 on the north side is where the new Atlanta Braves stadium will be built. I live West of there in Mableton, and I work east of there, I work east of there, in Sandy SPrings/Dunwoody area. My commute blows. It is only less than 15 miles but it can take a long, long time. Part of my problem is I actually live on a road with 2 schools, and it is only 1 lane each way, and it is a cut through road in between 2 highway exits.

When the Braves stadium is built, I hope that I no longer live west of the stadium......assuming I still work east of there. I have basically worked in the area I am working in 10 years (3 different companies).

You living East, and working East of the new Braves stadium at that point would be a very good thing IMO. Sounds like you would.

I wonder how people there would like a Mets fan!!