Why draft a LOT to play ROT?

It's important to remember that defenses sometimes put their best pass rusher at LDE, or they move them around the line. Prime examples...Mario Williams and Cameron Wake. It is very important to have 2 solid OT's. Also, in the event of injury to your left tackle, you have the flexibility to move your RT over without much (if any) drop off in play.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's important to remember that defenses sometimes put their best pass rusher at LDE, or they move them around the line. Prime examples...Mario Williams and Cameron Wake. It is very important to have 2 solid OT's. Also, in the event of injury to your left tackle, you have the flexibility to move your RT over without much (if any) drop off in play.

I believe even Doug Whaley agrees with you on this .

My only concern may be, once a a LT is entrenched at that position , like Cordy should you even attempt to move him ?

For two reasons . First is the fact he is very very good and earned it.

Second is until the wage between left and right levels out , wouldn't it be a bit unfair come contract time ?

Washington Redskins: Joe Jacoby AND Jim Lachey -> Unstoppable.

"But that was like, way in the paaasst!" :wallbash:

2013 KC Chiefs: suddenly rise from basement to contender with: Branden Albert AND Eric Fisher.

Don't dis' da double LT 'til ya tried it !

~AS

2013 Draft

1. Eric Fisher -- Kansas City

2. Luke Joeckel -- Jacksonville

4. Lane Johnson -- Philadelphia

What do they all have in common? They all spent the majority, if not all of last season at RT. What exactly is the problem with having 2 very good OT's? What happens when one gets hurt? Sounds like a good quality problem to me.

I wouldn't call that a rumor. They quote a writer from the B-news who think "it would be hard for the Bills to pass him up if he's there." They might as well come to TBD for rumors...

How many stories have writers from the Buffalo News broken lately? They have no Bills sources anymore.

Washington Redskins: Joe Jacoby AND Jim Lachey -> Unstoppable.

"But that was like, way in the paaasst!" :wallbash:

2013 KC Chiefs: suddenly rise from basement to contender with: Branden Albert AND Eric Fisher.

Don't dis' da double LT 'til ya tried it !

~AS

And now they have to replace Albert.

I don't get the fans fretting over the Bills drafting an OT, as it simply won't happen!!

When was the last time they drafted an OT in the first round? I'll tell ya, 2002, and none in the first round since.

The Bills have since drafted 2003, RB, 2004 WR. (QB 2nd first). 2005, no pick. 2006, DB, (DT 2nd first) 2007, RB. 2008, DB. 2009, DE (C 2nd first) 2010, RB. 2011 DT. 2012, DB. 2013 QB

• 3 RB's
  • 3 DB's
  • 1 DE
  • 1 WR
  • 1 DT
  • 1 QB

All this talk on an OT is a smoke screen, as I predict the Bills draft FS Haha Clinton- Dix with that #9 pick. If there was a RB ranked up in the top 10, then I'd think it might be a RB. So, stop worrying Bills fans.

EDIT: They might even take RB Andre Williams in the third round :D

Edited by FeartheLosing

I don't get the fans fretting over the Bills drafting an OT, as it simply won't happen!!

When was the last time they drafted an OT in the first round? I'll tell ya, 2002, and none in the first round since.

The Bills have since drafted 2003, RB, 2004 WR. (QB 2nd first). 2005, no pick. 2006, DB, (DT 2nd first) 2007, RB. 2008, DB. 2009, DE (C 2nd first) 2010, RB. 2011 DT. 2012, DB. 2013 QB

• 3 RB's
  • 3 DB's
  • 1 DE
  • 1 WR
  • 1 DT
  • 1 QB

All this talk on an OT is a smoke screen, as I predict the Bills draft FS Haha Clinton- Dix with that #9 pick. If there was a RB ranked up in the top 10, then I'd think it might be a RB. So, stop worrying Bills fans.

Maybe this will finally be the year we pick our Jason Smith. :)

2013 Draft

1. Eric Fisher -- Kansas City

2. Luke Joeckel -- Jacksonville

4. Lane Johnson -- Philadelphia

What do they all have in common? They all spent the majority, if not all of last season at RT. What exactly is the problem with having 2 very good OT's? What happens when one gets hurt? Sounds like a good quality problem to me.

At least 2 of the 3 are going to move to LT this season, and Johnson was a niche-pick by Kelly to run his fast-paced offense.

There's nothing expressly wrong with drafting an OT...there is, however (IMO), something amiss with drafting an OT specifically to fill a need without regard to value. That's not what the good teams do (just for the record, I fully realize that you never said or even implied this--just stating it as an affirmation).

I believe, as evidenced by how successful organizations are run, that it is most effective to draft the best football players, especially in round 1. The only exception is if you do not have a potential franchise QB on your roster...in that case, pick a QB.

• 3 RB's
  • 3 DB's
  • 1 DE
  • 1 WR
  • 1 DT
  • 1 QB

EDIT: They might even take RB Andre Williams in the second :D

Gotcha. They won't draft an OT simply because they haven't in the past 11 years. Since it hasn't happened lately, it won't ever happen again. Sound logic.

At least 2 of the 3 are going to move to LT this season, and Johnson was a niche-pick by Kelly to run his fast-paced offense.

There's nothing expressly wrong with drafting an OT...there is, however (IMO), something amiss with drafting an OT specifically to fill a need without regard to value. That's not what the good teams do (just for the record, I fully realize that you never said or even implied this--just stating it as an affirmation).

I believe, as evidenced by how successful organizations are run, that it is most effective to draft the best football players, especially in round 1. The only exception is if you do not have a potential franchise QB on your roster...in that case, pick a QB.

i absolutely agree that you take the best player period. So if the best football player is an OT, you take him, correct?

Gotcha. They won't draft an OT simply because they haven't in the past 11 years. Since it hasn't happened lately, it won't ever happen again. Sound logic.

i absolutely agree that you take the best player period. So if the best football player is an OT, you take him, correct?

Absolutely

Thank you.

Our inimitable Chris Brown said today

They take one in the second round. Now that's a smoke screen !

I think it's going to come down to how they feel about the #3 OT on the board, which I think will be Lewan. Personally, I'm not a fan, and I wouldn't be excited with the prospect of taking him with the 9th pick...I think he's more of a 15-20 guy. In a draft that deep at OT, I'd rather come away with a top 10 talent and take an OT in the 2nd.

The best predictor of future history is past history. I don't think any other NFL team can claim they haven't drafted an OT in first round the last 12 years, only Buffalo.

Besides, this team loves them some DB's, and a lot of them from Ohio St.

BPA, kinda like in 2010 when they took CJ Spiller?

The best predictor of future history is past history. I don't think any other NFL team can claim they haven't drafted an OT in first round the last 12 years, only Buffalo.

Besides, this team loves them some DB's, and a lot of them from Ohio St.

BPA, kinda like in 2010 when they took CJ Spiller?

I think you need to look at Whaley's history with the Steelers FO more closely than looking at past Bills FOs to predict what Whaley will do. Edited by YoloinOhio

I think it's going to come down to how they feel about the #3 OT on the board, which I think will be Lewan. Personally, I'm not a fan, and I wouldn't be excited with the prospect of taking him with the 9th pick...I think he's more of a 15-20 guy. In a draft that deep at OT, I'd rather come away with a top 10 talent and take an OT in the 2nd.

I think there is a good bit of distance after Robinson and Mattthews too. How much i dont know .

In regard to past history and the Bills. I gotta go with Ohio's thinking. I wish more folks would change the mindset. Whaley is clearly leading the charge now.

I think there is a good bit of distance after Robinson and Mattthews too. How much i dont know .

In regard to past history and the Bills. I gotta go with Ohio's thinking. I wish more folks would change the mindset. Whaley is clearly leading the charge now.

As do I...of course, there's something to be said for not jumping to fill a specific positional need. Value needs to be the order of the day...that's how winning teams are built.

I think you need to look at Whaley's history with the Steelers FO more closely than looking at past Bills FOs to predict what Whaley will do.

Was he in charge making the picks for the Steelers? There is also some question as to if he made all the selections for the Buffalo Bills last year too.

I'm going by the disdain I see this team has for high quality O linemen over the last 12 years, and recently. Let's not forget what players Whaley tried to replace the Bills best pass blocker (Andy Levitre) on that line when he left in free agency in Colin Brown, and Sam Young. That and the fact that after Nix had left the GM position and Whaley was promoted he then signed Doug Legursky to be the backup center. A player who graded as the very worst linemen on a bad Steelers O line.

From PFF on Legursky over his years with the Steelers "Legursky has a ghastly -36.4 grade in part-time duty over the past three seasons." So, Whaley knew what he was getting when he signed him him.https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/08/01/32-teams-in-32-days-buffalo-bills-2/'>https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/08/01/32-teams-in-32-days-buffalo-bills-2/

Fast forward to this off season. and the bills signed OG Chris Williams from the Rams. Dud: He may be a former first-rounder but Chris Williams (-21.8) is just a liability as a lineman. Far too much pressure, not enough good run blocking, and he’s the team’s weak link on offense. https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/08/01/32-teams-in-32-days-buffalo-bills-2/

From my view this franchise simply doesn't put a high value on their O linemen. Hence my reasoning as to why the Bills will not take an OT in the first round this years draft.

Re-thinking the OP's point, it certainly has merit, but I think the more interesting comparison is to see how the salaries have changed in the past few years. Has the pay gap decreased? If so, will it continue to shrink? There would still be a tricky pay and position issue down the line...

At this point, I think the Bills have themselves in position to go with BPA, which I like a lot. This allows them to pick someone like Mack (for example) if he's there, or trade down. That said, upgrading RT is a big need, so I would say they do have to pick an OT in one of the first 3 rounds. And once again, I'm flip-flopping on what I'd like to see, but here's my priority list:

1. Outside of the QBs, if one of Robinson, Clowney, Mathews, Mack, or Watkins falls to Bills, then grab them.

2. Trade back. If this happens, then I'm ok with OT, S, TE, or WR here. The extra pick(s) will allow the Bills to fill all of those positions in the first 3 rounds.

3. If no trade partner, take Ebron and draft OT in R2 or 3.