What I would like to see the Bills do now

And Kellyto83TD, to your original topic...I agree that we don't need to do much more in FA at this point, if anything else at all. I just disagree that trading CJ should be an option. If we are going to trade anyone, it should be Stevie. I would love to see us move him for picks in this draft simply because he's just not going to ever be anything more than he already is. He doesn't do anything great other than his route running. He is always hampered by soft tissue injuries in his legs that affect his ability to run those routes too. Add in the tendency to come up small in big moments, to be invisible in games that matter, not being physical or fast, etc and I can't help to come to the conclusion that it may be best to move him, especially in a draft this deep.

I always liked Stevie, but I think Woods can be an even better version of Stevie. More importantly, Stevie and Woods aren't different enough to compliment each other well. I would rather trade Stevie and then promote Woods to #1 and draft a bigger more physical WR in rounds 1 or 2 this year to put opposite him. Then let Goodwin stretch the D and take the top off it from the slot.

Edited by Alphadawg7

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alphadog, again.... drop the one season high ankle sprain stuff. He pulls himself out of games, he is hurt in other games and the reality is CJ spiller is not, never has been and never will be an every down back. I like the guy too, but it is what it is. But I can see you are going to Champion him to be what he isn't until the cows come home so there is no more reason to discuss it. This team needs to draft a bigger, every down back and hopefully its in this draft and we can start trying to make the switch to a more traditional offense

Please show me outside of last year where he is just pulling himself regularly out of games. That was something he did LAST year while HURT. He was a full time RB the year before and put up 1600 yards despite only being the full time RB half the year on a team that did everything in their power not to run (thanks Chan) and was always behind and pass happy. 1600 yards, while being a full time RB HALF the year. Prior to that, FJ was the RB...plus we had Lynch (no slouch himself).

So in 2 years as a major part of this offense, he has compiled 2823 yards in 31 games (which was more like 28 because of the ankle sprain taking him out of games last year) despite only being the main ball carrier in about 8 of those games and had a nasty high ankle sprain for about 12 of them because he refused to not play when his team needed him because so many other people were hurt. I mean his career average is 5.1 which is not something you find every day.

Yes, I want a big back to compliment him...but to say he can't be a feature back because one season he had an ankle sprain he played through is baffling. Trading him to boot??? That is crazy IMO.

No hard feelings...We will have to agree to disagree...and thats ok too.

I'd try to sign Thomas Decoud at FS. He had a down year and could be had reasonably and probably would rebound nicely with the Bills. Other nice (fantasy) targets would be Strief at RT and Jared Allen at DE (;)) but...

In the draft, I would drop down. If I can't get a DE in FA, I'd consider Aaron Donald at LDE or drop down further in the 1st and take Austin Seferian-Jenkins at the end of the first. He's flying under the radar right now but is supposed to be an excellent receiver and blocker and that would justify taking him in the lower 1st. In the 2nd I'd go 3-down MLB.

I'd try to sign Thomas Decoud at FS. He had a down year and could be had reasonably and probably would rebound nicely with the Bills. Other nice (fantasy) targets would be Strief at RT and Jared Allen at DE ( ;)) but...

In the draft, I would drop down. If I can't get a DE in FA, I'd consider Aaron Donald at LDE or drop down further in the 1st and take Austin Seferian-Jenkins at the end of the first. He's flying under the radar right now but is supposed to be an excellent receiver and blocker and that would justify taking him in the lower 1st. In the 2nd I'd go 3-down MLB.

I forgot about Streif...I would agree that would be a great signing.

And Kellyto83TD, to your original topic...I agree that we don't need to do much more in FA at this point, if anything else at all. I just disagree that trading CJ should be an option. If we are going to trade anyone, it should be Stevie. I would love to see us move him for picks in this draft simply because he's just not going to ever be anything more than he already is. He doesn't do anything great other than his route running. He is always hampered by soft tissue injuries in his legs that affect his ability to run those routes too. Add in the tendency to come up small in big moments, to be invisible in games that matter, not being physical or fast, etc and I can't help to come to the conclusion that it may be best to move him, especially in a draft this deep.

I always liked Stevie, but I think Woods can be an even better version of Stevie. More importantly, Stevie and Woods aren't different enough to compliment each other well. I would rather trade Stevie and then promote Woods to #1 and draft a bigger more physical WR in rounds 1 or 2 this year to put opposite him. Then let Goodwin stretch the D and take the top off it from the slot.

Ok now we are talking! I agree on trading Stevie. I Feel woods will be better than Stevie starting this year, the guy works his ass off and was a better pure talent coming out. We add a big, fast, strong WR opposite him and we are now in Business. If we can upgrade TE as well...

Ok now we are talking! I agree on trading Stevie. I Feel woods will be better than Stevie starting this year, the guy works his ass off and was a better pure talent coming out. We add a big, fast, strong WR opposite him and we are now in Business. If we can upgrade TE as well...

This sir we 100% agree on. :beer:

I know there is the camp that doesn't agree about trading Stevie...but he is just a guy that makes sense to move now while he has some decent value. Like you said, Woods likely proves to be a better WR than Stevie this year. The draft is deep this year, so great year to get more picks. A lineup of Stevie, Woods, and Goodwin doesn't have nearly as much potential as Woods, Evans (taken #9), and Goodwin. Or maybe we wait til second and grab someone like Benjamin who I also like.

Either way, Stevie is at most a possession receiver. A possession receiver who doesn't put the off season work in. A possession receiver with questionable hands. A possession receiver who isn't physical and can't fight for balls. A possession receiver who too often comes up short in key moments. Not to mention all his knick knack soft tissue injuries that affect his ability to run routes...the only thing he excels at.

Been a fan of his for a long time, but his inability to improve his game and inability to be consistent or deliver when it counts has me thinking its time to move him before its too late.

Get Mike Vick.on a 2 year deal. He's a great fit to help E J as well as a guy who I feel can still win games if we need him. If he was to consider buff as a landing spot I'd feel better about next year if EJ doesn't pan out or get injured.

Alphadog, again.... drop the one season high ankle sprain stuff. He pulls himself out of games, he is hurt in other games and the reality is CJ spiller is not, never has been and never will be an every down back. I like the guy too, but it is what it is. But I can see you are going to Champion him to be what he isn't until the cows come home so there is no more reason to discuss it. This team needs to draft a bigger, every down back and hopefully its in this draft and we can start trying to make the switch to a more traditional offense

I remember Thurman Thomas pulling himself out of games regularly and he's a HOFer!

You don't trade SJ13, you put him in the slot ala Welker, Edelman, etc and let him do work. Most starting CBs can cover him let alone some teams 3rd CB!

Get Mike Vick.on a 2 year deal. He's a great fit to help E J as well as a guy who I feel can still win games if we need him. If he was to consider buff as a landing spot I'd feel better about next year if EJ doesn't pan out or get injured.

Getting Vick would be excellent. Right now he is still better than EJ. But the Bills seem committed to moving forward w EJ, at least into this coming season. With that mindset they had better give him some more weapons. I would try and trade down from 9, unless Sammy Watkins is still on the board which is very doubtful. If we can pick up another 2nd or high third and draft in the mid teens we take the best WR or TE available at that position. We than can take our starting RT in the 2nd, and add the best players available w our extra pick and our 3rd rounder including S, DE, and WR or TE, depending on who we took in the 1st.

I am a big Michigan fan. Have been for over 30 years. I watched Taylor Lewan his entire career, and he is good, but not great. I think 6'8 is too tall to play OT effectively. He will get beat to the outside at times, and at that height looks uncoordinated at times. (watch King Dunlop for SD-similar body type) O line has become too finesse at times. I want a 6'5 320 plus pound mauler as my rt tackle. I think Marrone does too. I would not draft him in the first round. With the lack of playmakers we have, there is no way I take a RT w our first pick. However, I would seriously consider Michigan's Jeremy Gallon in the 3rd round at WR. The guy is Steve Smith 2014. Runs great routes, is tough and very quick. Get rid of TJ Graham, and he is a way better option. Don't let his 5'8" size scare you. The guy is a baller. (364 yards receiving against Indiana this year)

As for trading Stevie, give me a 3rd round pick and he is gone. He is emminently replacable, always hurt, and not a gamechanger. Sure he has his moments, but he disappears far more often. Just because he doesn't suck is no reason to be in love w his game. Because it is not great. The theme of this draft has to be playmakers. And Btw Whaley's moves in free agency were excellent. Brandon Spikes is a BAD DUDE!!

Unfortunately, I don't see us as being "set" at any position aside from CB. I'm leaning toward this draft going BPA round by round, which is a great position to be in. It makes sense to try and trade down, in that regard. If we get a partner that is willing to pay the right price, picking up additional selections is the best possible scenario while in this stage of rebuilding.

I would love to see a trade down that allows us to take a TE, OG, and OT in the 1st 3 rounds........

I know that they resigned Chandler......but if they truly want to run the ball they need to do it out of 2 Tight End sets to get more blockers on the field therefore you need more TE's that are also legit pass catching threats.

I still feel Ebron should be the first pick.....then 2 OL in the 2nd round

This sir we 100% agree on. :beer:

I know there is the camp that doesn't agree about trading Stevie...but he is just a guy that makes sense to move now while he has some decent value. Like you said, Woods likely proves to be a better WR than Stevie this year. The draft is deep this year, so great year to get more picks. A lineup of Stevie, Woods, and Goodwin doesn't have nearly as much potential as Woods, Evans (taken #9), and Goodwin. Or maybe we wait til second and grab someone like Benjamin who I also like.

Either way, Stevie is at most a possession receiver. A possession receiver who doesn't put the off season work in. A possession receiver with questionable hands. A possession receiver who isn't physical and can't fight for balls. A possession receiver who too often comes up short in key moments. Not to mention all his knick knack soft tissue injuries that affect his ability to run routes...the only thing he excels at.

Been a fan of his for a long time, but his inability to improve his game and inability to be consistent or deliver when it counts has me thinking its time to move him before its too late.

Agreed good sir! :thumbsup: Man Woods, Evans and Goodwin....Whew! AND if we could take an impact TE...

I would love to see a trade down that allows us to take a TE, OG, and OT in the 1st 3 rounds........

I know that they resigned Chandler......but if they truly want to run the ball they need to do it out of 2 Tight End sets to get more blockers on the field therefore you need more TE's that are also legit pass catching threats.

I still feel Ebron should be the first pick.....then 2 OL in the 2nd round

John we signed our LG we won't be taking one in the first 3 rounds. WR, TE, OT then odds are defense will be the order of the day in this draft. But again its just my opinion which = less than 2 Cents :-)