Change in running philosophy that makes CJ expendable?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I understand, Chris Williams is well suited to the screen game and we know that the Bills and Spiller had success with screens as well using Cordy and Wood. Maybe the Williams acquisition signals that they'll go back to the screen game and that Spiller will have more success in that type of offense.

Good coaches fit their scheme to their talent. It's why Pettine can come in here and help half the defense have career years by changing the scheme around, while Marrone/Hacket can come in and make even guys who were top league talents like Spiller look bad. What the Bills need is an OC who finds ways to use his players effectively not one one trades them because they "don't fit" into what he is trying to do.

Hopefully the guys that were brought in to help Hackett will be able to use their experience & open Hackett's & Marrones eyes to what they have & how to use it correctly .

I can never understand why when a coaching change is made with all the tape from the previous season why the new coaching staff can't see beyond their noses & have to change every thing .

They throw out all the good stuff along with the bad like letting O line coach DeAlisandris go with some good player after doing what he did for our O line & Dehaven ST coach for Crossman.. :wacko:

Edited by T master

I've been saying this since about mid season last year that Spiller just doesn't seem like the type of back that Marrone prefers

This board would explode if the Bills traded Spiller and he blossomed with another team like Lynch

Good coaches fit their scheme to their talent. It's why Pettine can come in here and help half the defense have career years by changing the scheme around, while Marrone/Hacket can come in and make even guys who were top league talents like Spiller look bad. What the Bills need is an OC who finds ways to use his players effectively not one one trades them because they "don't fit" into what he is trying to do.

Spiller was hurt most of the year last year. He spent most of his carries looking to run out of bounds so he didn't hurt his ankle. It wasn't the coaching or the play calling. He did the best he could on an injured ankle. He will run differently this year when healthy.

Two things: the Dixon signing and the inability of the Bills to get CJ into space last year.

It seems like Hackett can't or won't use CJ the way Chan did. Maybe it was an O-line issue that we are working on fixing?

Or maybe the Bills are going to a straight-ahead power running game with Dixon, Freddy and maybe a rookie like Brandon Oliver?

If so could we flip CJ for picks? Just throwing it out there.

PTR

Spiller is an exciting back to watch especially when he is in the open field. A concern that I have is he is not that big of a back. He is not really built to run between the tackles and take all those hits on a regular basis. His contract runs out after the 2014 season. How much do you pay a guy like Spiller who is not a primary back and gets nicked up fairly regularly?

I think improved blocking would help CJ but I do wonder if he fits Marrone's thinking. He used a between the tackles run game at Syracuse. Mason from Auburn is the best back in the draft, should go in top 50 picks, doubt we would pick him that high.

If CJ is gone its again a reflection on poor front office management and coaching churn. You cannot have new coaches, with new approaches every few years that result in dismantling the core of the team.

I'm sorry, but an RB who gets 10 carries a game isn't a "core" player. Especially when he still kinda stinks at pass blocking and getting short yardage.

I have not had a thing to add to this point that doesn't get added before I thought of it.

If CJ Spiller is a good player we must find a way to use him on the field. The ability to not do so is a reflection of an improper organization - either, the FO that keeps him on the team or the coaching staff that can't use him. If the FO sees that he cannot be used they need to get a use of him - trade or cut. If the Coaching staff cannot use him the FO needs to get a way to change.

For his price and all, though, I am still fine with keeping him on the team even if he is now a 3rd RB, or even 4th. Let him return kicks, who knows.

Fair post Promo.

I agree Marrone wanted to grind the football last year. I do think he wants to win the running game at the point of attack contact .

But i dont think he and Nate will be getting rid of Spiller. The problems in play calling might have been work arounds for a poor showing from the O line and QB issues .

Now if Spiller is injured again this year all bets are off.

CJ is playmaker . Bills Will get him the ball. Expect a much different offense this coming season .

That being said i love when Frank Summers lines up ! Hope this season the Offensive line can get those goal line pushes moving the pile and working !!

Go Bills

What the heck's with all of these threads advocating unloading some of our best players- Stevie Johnson, Manny Lawson, now Spiller? Isn't it bad enough that the Bills just lost a Pro Bowl safety with nothing to show for it?? But yes, let's trade Stevie to Carolina; cut Lawson because he allegedly doesn't fit into Schwartz's scheme; and then dump Spiller for picks due to the fact that we signed a big back (primarily for Special Teams), which thusly means that Hackett must want to go with a "power" running game. This team can ill-afford to dump talented playmakers- do we think Dixon is a better option than Spiller? If you do you obviously have drug problem that needs to be addressed. Anyone who thinks that Rivers is a better option than Lawson obviously hasn't seen much of Rivers in Cincy or NY. And let's trade Stevie so we can see more of "The TJ Graham Show"- that'll work!!

Id take a second oro CJ all day, he cant "learn" to read blocks after 4 years, no game awareness, hes a fumbler, he gets hurt easily, oh did I mention he cant break a tackle if his life depended on it. (runs too upright). oh did I mention poor pass protection... all this for the occasional long run.

Two things: the Dixon signing and the inability of the Bills to get CJ into space last year.

It seems like Hackett can't or won't use CJ the way Chan did. Maybe it was an O-line issue that we are working on fixing?

Or maybe the Bills are going to a straight-ahead power running game with Dixon, Freddy and maybe a rookie like Brandon Oliver?

If so could we flip CJ for picks? Just throwing it out there.

PTR

PTR I think Marrone wants a bigger, full time back. I can very easily see him traded on Draft day. That said if not then they have to make him 'Percy Harvin' and use him in that type role. I would have him running with WR's this offseason if I planned on keeping him AND returning kicks

What the heck's with all of these threads advocating unloading some of our best players- Stevie Johnson, Manny Lawson, now Spiller? Isn't it bad enough that the Bills just lost a Pro Bowl safety with nothing to show for it?? But yes, let's trade Stevie to Carolina; cut Lawson because he allegedly doesn't fit into Schwartz's scheme; and then dump Spiller for picks due to the fact that we signed a big back (primarily for Special Teams), which thusly means that Hackett must want to go with a "power" running game. This team can ill-afford to dump talented playmakers- do we think Dixon is a better option than Spiller? If you do you obviously have drug problem that needs to be addressed. Anyone who thinks that Rivers is a better option than Lawson obviously hasn't seen much of Rivers in Cincy or NY. And let's trade Stevie so we can see more of "The TJ Graham Show"- that'll work!!

How many playoff seasons with CJ and Stevie? I can't see either one being the #1 guy on any team (except Stevie in Carolina). We dont' have a drug problem there bud, YOU have a KOOLAID problem and need to wake up yourself

Id take a second oro CJ all day, he cant "learn" to read blocks after 4 years, no game awareness, hes a fumbler, he gets hurt easily, oh did I mention he cant break a tackle if his life depended on it. (runs too upright). oh did I mention poor pass protection... all this for the occasional long run.

It would be cool if any of this was true. 18 seconds into this video we have 5 broken tackes. Hmmmmm

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5IldpoY5kkk

Almost forgot about these sick huge runs vs the jets.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

It was Sal on WGR who said it best. And it is the unfortunate reality of today's NFL. We should not want to get rid of a starting RB, especially as good as CJ. But, like he said, he would trade any running back in the league for a first round pick. And he'd listen to any offer for a trade on a RB.

There is no RB in this league that is not replaceable or not expendable to their team. That is just my opinion, though.