Revis a Patriot / Bucs cut Revis

They lost Talib 6 hours earlier, who cares? Even if you want to be a homer and say Talib isn't half the player Revis was and grade Talib at a B+, and say Revis is the best player in the league and grade him at an A+, is it really that dramatic of an improvement for the Patriots? That team is... the bizarre-o world version of the Buffalo Bills. Having watched about 90% of their snaps last year, I can tell you in no uncertain terms they were not a 12 win team. They should have lost to the Broncos, Saints, and Browns--those 3 wins were absolutely ridiculous and essentially gifted to them. The fact of the matter is, the Bills are closer to an 8-8 team, and the Pats are closer to a 9-7 team. Eventually, that is going to shake out. It might be this year, next year, or 2016, but eventually, these scales will even out. Replacing a better than good corner with a used to be great corner, in today's nfl, isnt going to do much for them.
I just don't see the pats going less than 10-6 as long as it's a Brady/Belicheck team.

This is exactly it; while I agree with your general point about their talent JG, Belicheck and Brady make that team win. Lose one of them and they will fall off a bit, lose them both and the Pats fall. Over this extended winning period of theirs they have had some pretty good players around Brady and some really horrible teams around him; IMO, less talented than some Bills teams over that time. The difference is that because of B & B the difference in teams for the pats* has been playoff runs and Super Bowl wins while the Bills have been drifting between around Top 10 draft picks every year.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm sure they will, along with a lot of other teams. But NE is no longer a prime destination for FA's anymore and top ones want to be paid.

Or Corey Graham. And I'll bet the Pats don't get Revis.

Oh, so when you made the above comments, what you really meant was that you bet the pats don't get Revis for more than a one year contract...

You'll forgive me if I misunderstood your repeated posts that he wouldn't go to the pats.

And, your first response was that he should have gone to a one of those teams offering him a big money multi-year deal---who did you have in mind? You know, the "bidding war"?

Edited by Mr. WEO

Oh, so when you made the above comments, what you really meant was that you bet the pats don't get Revis for more than a one year contract...

You'll forgive me if I misunderstood your repeated posts that he wouldn't go to the pats.

Yep. I figured that after getting cut after just a year with the Bucs, and given that he'll be 29 in July, he'd want a long-term deal. I guess he didn't and they get to rent him for a year. We'll see how smart it was on his part, while it still won't be enough for the Pats to win another SB.

And, your first response was that he should have gone to a one of those teams offering him a big money multi-year deal---who did you have in mind? You know, the "bidding war"?

He was barely on the market. We'll never know.

Yep. I figured that after getting cut after just a year with the Bucs, and given that he'll be 29 in July, he'd want a long-term deal. I guess he didn't and they get to rent him for a year. We'll see how smart it was on his part, while it still won't be enough for the Pats to win another SB.

Didn't he get a two year option deal?

Well, you knew that when you said he should have gone to the highest bidder.

Well, you knew that when you said he should have gone to the highest bidder.

Like I said, I figured given what happened with the Bucs and his age, he'd want a long-term contract. But it's his life. He can do whatever he wants. But he's taking a big risk. If he'd been released earlier, he probably would have hooked on the Broncos.

Like I said, I figured given what happened with the Bucs and his age, he'd want a long-term contract. But it's his life. He can do whatever he wants. But he's taking a big risk. If he'd been released earlier, he probably would have hooked on the Broncos.

If he plays very well, they will likely keep him for the second year of his multiyear deal....

Maybe, but I doubt it and so do most others.

Revis knew no one was offering a multi year contract (at least not as you envisioned), doc. Tampa just him after year 1 of his 6 year deal. He is only interested in no-signing-bonus deals. He knows no one is really offering more than a year so he jumped at the first offer close to what he was payed last year.

Your claim that there would be a bidding war by teams offering multi year deals was ridiculous.

Revis knew no one was offering a multi year contract (at least not as you envisioned), doc. Tampa just him after year 1 of his 6 year deal. He is only interested in no-signing-bonus deals. He knows no one is really offering more than a year so he jumped at the first offer close to what he was payed last year.

Your claim that there would be a bidding war by teams offering multi year deals was ridiculous.

Revis knew that no one was offering a multi year contract after being on the market for half a day? LOL! That's a silly statement considering what Talib got the day before. And I guess I missed where teams had used up all, or even most, of their cap room.

So the question becomes: why did Revis take a 1-year deal? Was it to stick it to the Jets because he gets to face them 2 times this year? Seems likely because the odds of the Pats winning the SB are slim with the Broncos still being better and Seattle figuring to repeat. But to say that's all he could have gotten when he was barely on the market is, as I said, silly.

Revis knew that no one was offering a multi year contract after being on the market for half a day? LOL! That's a silly statement considering what Talib got the day before. And I guess I missed where teams had used up all, or even most, of their cap room.

So the question becomes: why did Revis take a 1-year deal? Was it to stick it to the Jets because he gets to face them 2 times this year? Seems likely because the odds of the Pats winning the SB are slim with the Broncos still being better and Seattle figuring to repeat. But to say that's all he could have gotten when he was barely on the market is, as I said, silly.

He took a 2 year deal.

No, claiming that Revis decided to forgo a multiyear contract only so he could "stick it" to the Jets is about the silliest conclusion one could make from this. If there was a better offer he would have taken it. He's all (and only) about the money.

You have already stated that the pats offer was likely the best deal he could have gotten. Why are you changing your opinion to some goofy revenge theme?

Revis and Browner at CB. Nice duo!

@RapSheet

Source: Ex-#Seahawks CB Brandon Browner has reached a two-year agreement with the #Patriots. Must serve 4-game suspension to start 2014

Yikes.

No, claiming that Revis decided to forgo a multiyear contract only so he could "stick it" to the Jets is about the silliest conclusion one could make from this. If there was a better offer he would have taken it. He's all (and only) about the money.

You have already stated that the pats offer was likely the best deal he could have gotten. Why are you changing your opinion to some goofy revenge theme?

Yikes.

The report of Browner signing with NE was premature. He's still going on visits while his agent negotiates.

Considering Brandon Browner has 4 teams interested in him, and Revis is a better player, wanting to stick it to the Jets is a very plausible reason for him signing so quickly. And Sissy essentially brought up my point about him being dumb for not getting a long-term deal when he whipped out Asomugha from nowhere (considering he hasn't been relevant for 2 years now). Asomugha was considered Revis' equal and was essentially done in 2011 at the age of 30, despite never having had a major injury live Revis. Revis will be 29 in July.

So he didn't get a 6 year contract with the Bucs? He only got a 1 year deal there? Sounds like you're grasping at straws to be right.

His 6-year deal with the Bucs was essentially a series of 1-year $16M contracts. This deal is little different as the Pats are expected to cut him unless they offer him a big money extension, since his $20M option/salary in 2015 won't fly, even moreso if the reports that his 2014 salary cap hit will be split between this year and next year are true.