Steve Smith's agent- "he has played his last game in Carolina&

boyst

Steve Smith is well on the wrong side of 30 (he's 35). I wouldn't trade for him or sign him in Buffalo. Aging veterans at the tail end of their careers isn't the way this team is even going. He had a good productive 13-year career. I don't think anyone would dispute that he did a lot more with less physical gifts than most wide receivers.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve Smith is well on the wrong side of 30 (he's 35). I wouldn't trade for him or sign him in Buffalo. Aging veterans at the tail end of their careers isn't the way this team is even going. He had a good productive 13-year career. I don't think anyone would dispute that he did a lot more with less physical gifts than most wide receivers.

he has more drive, fire, and skill than all of our WR at this point. And his attitude is exactly what we need on this team.

What reasons ? Too much of a stone cold badass ?

Word on the street down here in Charlotte is the Panthers want him gone because of the drama he brings to the locker room. His leadership style rubbed a lot of people in the locker room the wrong way. They were willing to put up with it when he was a true #1 but he's lost a step and at this point in his career is best suited to be a #3/slot receiver.

The fact that the Panthers are willing to just cut arguably the best player in their franchise’s history when they really won’t save much against the cap speaks volumes to me. We also have to consider that Ted Ginn, Brandon LaFell and Dominik Hixon are all FAs this year, meaning that by cutting him they are likely losing their top 4 receivers from last year.

This all leads me to believe that in the Panther’s minds, this is one of those additions by subtraction moves.

Panthers should be much more involved in the FA market for a WR if you ask me. What do they plan on doing??? Drafting all their WRs this year?

"And the panthers are the first team in history to take only 1 position for every pick in their entire draft" I can see Kiper saying it now.

I heard somewhere that if the Panthers cut Smith, the WRs left on their roster have a combined total of 0 catches last season. Not site if that's true but boy oh boy, talk about handicapping your QB.

Panthers should be much more involved in the FA market for a WR if you ask me. What do they plan on doing??? Drafting all their WRs this year?

"And the panthers are the first team in history to take only 1 position for every pick in their entire draft" I can see Kiper saying it now.

I heard somewhere that if the Panthers cut Smith, the WRs left on their roster have a combined total of 0 catches last season. Not site if that's true but boy oh boy, talk about handicapping your QB.

I think they have Nicks all but wrapped....probably negotiating terms right now.

No way. The guy is old, obnoxious and has a history of locker room issues. He's not the same player as he was years ago.

Ice up, son.

tired of hearing this. Won't let it be said again. What is the history and issues from the locker room? It was not Martin/Incognito. It was players every year battling this guy on a team that was run no holds barred and a fight that broke out because john fox is a coward. The DB kept roughing up Smith and he had enough. Coaches kept encouraging the young guy to go after Smith and be aggressive. This was after he lost a season to injury. The only one he had that every vested NFL player seems yo go thru.

Smith is not a cancer. He was vilified by the Panthers front office. The guy may not be an angel but he is not a problem

No interest. Guys like Smith don't age gracefully. They simply fall off a cliff.

Nice theory, except that he's already proven that he's still a very good player at age 34. In 2012, at age 33, he put up nearly 1200 yards receiving and last year, at 34, had 64 catches for 745 yards. Not to mention, he's absolutely the kind of competitor every NFL team would love to have. Yeah, he clearly won't age gracefully.

he has more drive, fire, and skill than all of our WR at this point. And his attitude is exactly what we need on this team.

Agreed. He is a true warrior and, IMO, a first-ballot HOFer.

Smith hasn't been a #1 WR in years. At this point, there aren't many teams who will see him as more than a fringe starter. He's also a bigtime jagoff, and no longer backs it up on the field, so there's bound to issues with teammates, especially if he's not on a playoff type team. He'll catch on with a contender that is desperate at WR, but his stud days are long gone.

He has zero interest in the Bills, and I'm sure they have zero interest him. Rightfully so.

His attitude is exactly what's got him shown the door by Carolina. Probably not what we need on this team at all.

I was just listening to NFL radio on SiriusXM and they mentioned that Smith had a wish list of 5 teams to which he was willing to be traded (I don't think they said all 5 teams, but I believe it included the Patriots and Tampa Bay). Obviously the trade didn't work out. Regardless, Smith wouldn't come to Buffalo, and I'm not sure why some of you are interested in bringing in a guy with maybe 2 years left in the tank to a rebuilding team that is likely not going anywhere next year. This is the kind of guy a contender picks up on the cheap for a one or two year rental in the hopes he can help bring them a Super Bowl. I can see a team like the Patriots picking him up...but I have been reading a lot about the Ravens being interested. I can see that happening too.

Edited by Tommy