Approval Poll: F.O.'s Handling of Byrd

Approval Poll: F.O.'s Handling of Byrd  

177 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of the way the Bills' F.O. handled the Byrd contract situation?

• Yes, I approve of the Bills' handling of the Jairus Byrd situation.
    • No, I do not approve of the Bills' handling of Jairus Byrd situation.

Byrd struck gold. He gets his $28 million and he gets to test the market again in a year or two when Saints cut him. No other team could offer that deal because NO doesn't care about future dead cap money, they're going to blow that roster up anyway.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I disapprove, only in that I would have told him sign a long-term deal or get franchised. Reason being Byrd would have been 29 in the 2015 season. Most teams don't want to pay a slower speed S who's nearly 30 a 5-6 year deal.

I get the Bills rationale - that they didn't want a locker room distraction or another 6 games missed due to plantar fasciitis.

I respect the Bills for holding out hope, but wish they deployed a bit more gamesmanship in bringing Byrd to sign a multi year contract.

My POV on this is that it should have never gotten this far with Byrd. OBD should have figured out how to lock him up years ago. "Blame" lies with both parties because players are not loyal. They want to get paid in contract #2.

Oh, and just wait until all the threads emerge when he's in the playoffs this year...not because of his play, but because, you know, his team has a top 5 QB.

Do you know what Brees' cap number is this yr? In buffalo we wouldve let Brees walk bc as the Bills' motto goes: NO player is worth that much.

Its amazing how teams like the saints and broncos, who were in much worse financial positions than us manage to dominate FA.

Then again, theyre in the playoffs every year and we havent been there in a decade and a half. Obviously our FO is outclassed in every way.

Byrd wanted a chance to play on a winning team and not this abomination of a franchise.

the NFCS isn't going to be as strong as they have been in the last few years. That's what gets me. The Saints are aging out. Panthers will decline. Tampa with get a little better and Atlanta can only get better

The NFCE for example is poised to get stronger as the parity there is much better of an example of teams making opponents stronger. The NFVW, NFCN. They're on the way up.I ddon't see how NO is more primed then we are for continued success. But byrd didn't care about that. Just the $$

2 years?? So you're going to pay him close to $20 mil for 2015 as that's what I've read the tag costs for a third year the average of highest paid players, i.e. QB And you won't see him in June at all, if you're real lucky it will be Septemeber, but more likely mid Nov, just in time for game #10. And until he signs the tag can't fine him either.

So exactly how is your statagy going to frighten him into crying uncle??

Don't care about anything else but tag him. Tag him, keep the long term deal on the table and leave the room. Tell him we will see him in June, we will fine him whatever possible and he is ours for 2 more years.

the NFCS isn't going to be as strong as they have been in the last few years. That's what gets me. The Saints are aging out. Panthers will decline. Tampa with get a little better and Atlanta can only get better

The NFCE for example is poised to get stronger as the parity there is much better of an example of teams making opponents stronger. The NFVW, NFCN. They're on the way up.I ddon't see how NO is more primed then we are for continued success. But byrd didn't care about that. Just the $$

NO is no more primed for success than us? Maybe in 20 yrs when sean payton is playing golf on sundays will the bills be more primed for success.

2 years?? So you're going to pay him close to $20 mil for 2015 as that's what I've read the tag costs for a third year the average of highest paid players, i.e. QB And you won't see him in June at all, if you're real lucky it will be Septemeber, but more likely mid Nov, just in time for game #10. And until he signs the tag can't fine him either.

So exactly how is your statagy going to frighten him into crying uncle??

it was like $12mm at most. 44% more then his previous year or something.l like that. Averaged out. And used as leverage. Its a win win.

This poll probably would have been better as a grade. I am fine with the job that they did but it wasn't perfect IMO. I voted yes but would have probably graded it as a B or B-.

They should have presented a stronger long term offer last year. I still would have used the tag to either negotiate or facilitate a trade (which I still believe could have been done). In the end though, the Bills did not overpay which is a win to me assuming that those dollars are allocated appropriately.

NO is no more primed for success than us? Maybe in 20 yrs when sean payton is playing golf on sundays will the bills be more primed for success.

this Saints team is much like the Bills of the 90's. Are they in the Jerry Butler stage now? I don't know for certain, But they have a lot of high end talent at extremely high costs. The Jimmy Graham tag is amazingly complex. Their success does not appear, at least from my vantage, to be on a continued plan for success over the next 4-5 years.

this Saints team is much like the Bills of the 90's. Are they in the Jerry Butler stage now? I don't know for certain, But they have a lot of high end talent at extremely high costs. The Jimmy Graham tag is amazingly complex. Their success does not appear, at least from my vantage, to be on a continued plan for success over the next 4-5 years.

I follow them relatively closely living down here and the will look a lot different this year. They will most likely lose 2 starting OL (De La Puente, Strief), their backs and WR will be different and their DL young. They are trying to remake the core of the roster while Brees still has a couple of years left. Personally, I think that are about 9-7 & will struggle to protect Brees. JMO

I follow them relatively closely living down here and the will look a lot different this year. They will most likely lose 2 starting OL (De La Puente, Strief), their backs and WR will be different and their DL young. They are trying to remake the core of the roster while Brees still has a couple of years left. Personally, I think that are about 9-7 & will struggle to protect Brees. JMO

Tampa 9-7

NO 9-7/8-8

Carolina 7-9

Atlanta 6-10

Tim Graham said last night his source says the Bills offer was about $7.5 million annually. Considering the Ward, Whitner, Mitchell, Bethea, etc. contracts....that was fair market value. The Saints then blew that market out of the water with the $9 million average.

I think the Saints got a good player but paid too much for a guy who has bad feet. Their cap situation is pretty bad and they still have Jimmy Graham to work out. On the surface, this signing looks good today but in a couple of years maybe not.

I disapprove, only in that I would have told him sign a long-term deal or get franchised. Reason being Byrd would have been 29 in the 2015 season. Most teams don't want to pay a slower speed S who's nearly 30 a 5-6 year deal.

I get the Bills rationale - that they didn't want a locker room distraction or another 6 games missed due to plantar fasciitis.

I respect the Bills for holding out hope, but wish they deployed a bit more gamesmanship in bringing Byrd to sign a multi year contract.

I think it was handled poorly from the sense that they couldn't execute a tag and trade.

They had two chances to do this, and I feel like they never seriously explored it.

Odds are they could have gotten a deal similar to the revis trade-- conditional 3rd rounder.

^ Those are why the FO got my no vote, you have to get trade value out the door if someone leaves. But I do think we drafted forvthis moment, still to be seen, the results of that IMO.

Do you know what Brees' cap number is this yr? In buffalo we wouldve let Brees walk bc as the Bills' motto goes: NO player is worth that much.

The only player I think any NFL team, including ours, has a blank check for is an (actual, not perceived) franchise QB.

Byrd was never going to stay here, he wanted to go to a winning team. This front office is operating like the Steelers, pay the critical positions and let the others walk. Free safety is not a critical position and should not eat up a large portion of the cap. Here's hoping Whaley can hit in the draft better than our previous GM's.