Not Franchising Byrd Could Have Been Smarter Than I Thought !!

T master

My only reservation is Byrd has produced all 5 years, no matter what defense he was in. Aaron Williams had his struggles, and then finally seemed to blossom under Pettine last year. I understand it was his first season at S, so I hope his production continues....but Byrd was a proven commodity. Williams still has to prove he can be a producer year after year. Not saying he won't but time will certainly tell.

That's debatable. He had big numbers his rookie season, sure. At 9 million a year, he would have to reproduce his rookie numbers pretty consistently and he won't. He's also no where near as good in the run game as Williams and not as versatile as Williams. Combine that with his poor attitude and leaving the team out to dry last year with his "injury" when he didn't get what he wanted and I say good riddance.

When do the Saints have to have their cap under the limit?

Don't know but it's amazing how much a team will spend. I read somewhere the Jags, Oak, & Cle had lots of $ to spend. It seems the high profile guys aren't jumping at the big spenders. My concern is the talent just isn't that deep league wide to support these high salary caps.

That's how you get teams like the Bills dropping huge contracts on guys like Langston Walker & Mark Anderson.

Perhaps the Bills could identify more top young talent like Aaron Williams & extend them before they feel underappreciated.

If we use that money on lets say... Peppers and Spikes (probably wouldn't get both for the money, but lets just say), I'd be happy.

But otherwise. I'm still at a loss for not tagging. I understand he doesn't want to be here long term, but losing him makes our team worse at the moment.

It's somewhat comforting to see the Bills front office making intelligent football decisions. Case in point - signing Aaron Williams instead of Byrd. Much cheaper, much younger and more upside. After struggling for two years, Williams 2013 season was an eye opener. Great job at safety, great attitude and when injury forced him to play corner, he did a great job there as well. Byrd a good player, but if push comes to shove he cannot play the cornerback - AW can. Versatility and talent.

The Bills made a wise investment giving Leodis a nice extension last year. They gave AW an affordable but lucrative extension this year. They have a talented number one pick in Gilmore. There is only so much money you can spend on a defensive backfield, and if the Saints want to pour that much money into a good but not great safety, so be it. The Bills did the right thing here.

Much more upside? It's posts like this that REALLY piss me off.

Byrd made 3 pro bowls, was a 2x AFC interception leader and NFL interception co-leader. Byrd has the most interceptions by a safety since 2009 for crying out loud.

Byrd is still in his prime at 27; he's a little over 3 years older than Williams. Williams has A LOT of catching up to do.

People can keep lying to themselves all they want. The Bills are not better off without Byrd.

That's debatable. He had big numbers his rookie season, sure. At 9 million a year, he would have to reproduce his rookie numbers pretty consistently and he won't. He's also no where near as good in the run game as Williams and not as versatile as Williams. Combine that with his poor attitude and leaving the team out to dry last year with his "injury" when he didn't get what he wanted and I say good riddance.

it makes no sense to diminish Byrds talent or his impact on the team. How you feel about the whole thing comes down to a simple question; do you think he's worth nine million dollars a year? I don't. I think the money is better spent elsewhere and AW will fill in just fine.

it makes no sense to diminish Byrds talent or his impact on the team. How you feel about the whole thing comes down to a simple question; do you think he's worth nine million dollars a year? I don't. I think the money is better spent elsewhere and AW will fill in just fine.

+1. The Saints were the only team willing to pay that because they have a tiny window to do anything with Brees and they know it. Same reason Denver is signing Talib and Ware. They will go into cap hell because they aren't buildling a team, they are adding pieces to win a SB. Bills are building a team to make the playoffs. They need more than a 9 mill/yr safety. Edited by YoloinOhio