My Five in Each Round - PreCombine Edition

Astrobot

I've done this for a few years. It's fun to look back to this thread in April (this year May).

RD1

Greg Robinson ROT Auburn

C.J. Mosley ILB Alabama

Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix FS Alabama

Eric Ebron TE North Carolina

Zack Martin OG Notre Dame

RD2

A Seferian-Jenkins TE Washington

Aaron Donald DT43 Pittsburgh

Troy Niklas TE Notre Dame

Kyle Fuller CB Virginia Tech

Shayne Skov ILB Stanford

RD3

Ryan Groy OG Wisconsin

Jimmy Garoppolo QB Eastern Illinois

Pierre Desir CB Lindenwood

Brandon Coleman WRF Rutgers

Trent Murphy DE43 Stanford

RD4

Kareem Martin DE43 North Carolina

Seantrel Henderson ROT Miami (FL)

Morgan Moses ROT Virginia

Billy Turner ROT North Dakota St

JaWuan James ROT Tennessee

RD5

Denicos Allen OLB43 Michigan State

Bryan Stork OC Florida State

Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB Nebraska

Brandon Linder OG Miami (FL)

Arthur Lynch TE Georgia

RD6

Calvin Barnett DT43 Oklahoma State

Caraun Reid DT43 Princeton

Boseko Lokombo OLB43 Oregon

Terrance West RBF Towson

James Wilder Jr. RBF Florida State

RD7

Marquis Spruill OLB43 Syracuse

Joel Bitonio OT Nevada

Michael Schofield OT Michigan

Jay Prosch FB Auburn

Jeremy Gallon WRS Michigan

Thanks. It is always good to get names to read up about, especially the later stuff.

A couple of questions:

Do you really think Skov will last until our R2 pick? That seems to be questionable.

Same question for the QB in the 3rd.

I know it is the 5th round but forget the French guy; is there another CB option?

hmm...this is how I would go by using your list :

1 - Eric Ebron TE North Carolina

2 - Shayne Skov ILB Stanford

3 - Ryan Groy OG Wisconsin

4 - wichever ROT is best from your list here

5 - Denicos Allen OLB43 Michigan State

6 - James Wilder Jr. RBF Florida State

7 - Joel Bitonio OT Nevada

RD1

Eric Ebron TE North Carolina

RD2

Shayne Skov ILB Stanford

RD3

Ryan Groy OG Wisconsin

RD4

RD5

RD6

RD7

Joel Bitonio OT Nevada

I just made my picks based on the names I liked and nothing more - not talent, not knowledge - just names I like.

I've done this for a few years. It's fun to look back to this thread in April (this year May).

RD1

Greg Robinson ROT Auburn- worthy of the #9 pick, YES!

C.J. Mosley ILB Alabama

Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix FS Alabama

Eric Ebron TE North Carolina- trade back possibility, as he currently grades at around #15

Zack Martin OG Notre Dame- currently listed as an OT, and could fall to last half of the first, or the 2nd round as a OG

RD2

A Seferian-Jenkins TE Washington

Aaron Donald DT43 Pittsburgh

Troy Niklas TE Notre Dame

Kyle Fuller CB Virginia Tech

Shayne Skov ILB Stanford

RD3

Ryan Groy OG Wisconsin

Jimmy Garoppolo QB Eastern Illinois

Pierre Desir CB Lindenwood

Brandon Coleman WRF Rutgers

Trent Murphy DE43 Stanford

RD4

Kareem Martin DE43 North Carolina

Seantrel Henderson ROT Miami (FL)

Billy Turner ROT North Dakota St

JaWuan James ROT Tennessee

RD5

Denicos Allen OLB43 Michigan State

Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB Nebraska

Brandon Linder OG Miami (FL)

Arthur Lynch TE Georgia

RD6

Calvin Barnett DT43 Oklahoma State

Caraun Reid DT43 Princeton

Terrance West RBF Towson

James Wilder Jr. RBF Florida State

RD7

Marquis Spruill OLB43 Syracuse

Joel Bitonio OT Nevada

Michael Schofield OT Michigan

Jay Prosch FB Auburn

Jeremy Gallon WRS Michigan

If this team drafts defense with any of the first three picks this year my head will explode! The team already has 9 of 11 starters drafted in the first two rounds!

Just a question. why no Cyrus Kouandjio or Taylor Lewan in the first?, no OG Cyril Richardson in the 2nd?

I don't see Ebron at #9, 6'4'' 245 lb Eric Ebron runs a 4.67 which is great for a receiving TE, but not even close to what 6'3'' 254 lb Vernon Davis ran 4.38 which is faster then most WR's. Davis was the #6 pick by SF that year.

So many teams are desperate for O line help this year. Ravens, Giants, Dolphins, and Falcons just to name a few. The Dolphins need to rebuild their entire line, and whomever the Bills pass up the Phins will surely snag. The Bills could use three new linemen, and might just go OT-OG-TE with the first three picks. Plus, every team in the first nine picks has a need for an O line player.

Just about every team in the NFL will be drafting an O line player in the first three rounds IMO. It is easier to list the teams that don't have a need for the O line. Chiefs-Packers-49ers-Eagles-Bengals-Cowboys-Lions

hmm...this is how I would go by using your list :

1 - Eric Ebron TE North Carolina

2 - Shayne Skov ILB Stanford

3 - Ryan Groy OG Wisconsin

4 - wichever ROT is best from your list here

5 - Denicos Allen OLB43 Michigan State

6 - James Wilder Jr. RBF Florida State

7 - Joel Bitonio OT Nevada

This would be a dream. I Love Ebron & Skov. I also won't be shocked if Wilder ended up turning into a really good pro.

Thanks. It is always good to get names to read up about, especially the later stuff.

A couple of questions:

Do you really think Skov will last until our R2 pick? That seems to be questionable.

Same question for the QB in the 3rd.

I know it is the 5th round but forget the French guy; is there another CB option?

Skov's ACL injury 2011 and suspension (first game of 2012 following DUI arrest over offseason) will cause him to fall. He has a lot to prove at the Combine. We have him at 45, so it'll be close.

QB in the 3rd is Jimmy Garoppolo. He's rated the 7th QB on our board, the 91 meaning right at the end of RD3. The 7th QB taken last year was at 115. I could see him moving up to 5th above McCarron and Brett Smith if his Combine works out for him. The 5th QB last year went at 110, so not a big difference. I was impressed that Garoppolo did well at the Shrine Bowl, then turned around and learned a whole new offense in a week before the Senior Bowl. His dominance in the FCS (53 TDs and only 9 interceptions) is impressive. Plus he looks like Flutie.

Why I like Baptiste and McGill at CB has everything to do with their length and height. McGill (6'1") is late 4th Round value, Baptiste (6'2") is late 5th. I doubt we'd be taking a CB before then.

This would be a dream. I Love Ebron & Skov. I also won't be shocked if Wilder ended up turning into a really good pro.

Wilder is one of the nicest guys, too. You'll need that EJ-FJ-SJ-like charisma, and Wilder has it. Listen to an interview and you'll see what I mean. See if you don't think of Stevie here:

I can't imagine a S in the first, even if Byrd leaves.

I don't know how Watkins/Benjamin don't make your list for round 1, unless you think both will be gone.

I'd be very concerned with Mosley or Zach Martin (at OG, but less so at RT)

I am really not grooving on Sefarian-Jenkins at TE in round 2. Too much baggage and too many questions about effort (only based on what I've read - maybe he will do great things).

I would be hard-pressed to wait on a WR/TE until round 3, but if there isn't one worth picking at 9 or in the 2nd, by all means pass on them.