who thinks we will go OT in the 1st round

The buzz now is that the Bills would be more likely to get their WR via FA rather than the draft, so this may be a moot point. I'm not kicking Anquan Boldin (49ers) or James Jones (Packers) out of bed for eating crackers. Boldin's more likely to re-sign, but he'd be a good 2-3 year contract, while a 4-5-year contract might interest the younger Jones, who's set to explore FA.

What's the source of this rumour?

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The buzz now is that the Bills would be more likely to get their WR via FA rather than the draft, so this may be a moot point. I'm not kicking Anquan Boldin (49ers) or James Jones (Packers) out of bed for eating crackers. Boldin's more likely to re-sign, but he'd be a good 2-3 year contract, while a 4-5-year contract might interest the younger Jones, who's set to explore FA.

That's interesting. I don't think that Boldin leaves but James Jones, Nicks and to a lesser extent Lafell interest me.

Another article I found at Ravens.com discussing Mel Kipers view on the top three OT's

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Mel-Kiper-Breaks-Down-Top-Offensive-Tackles/728117e0-1a53-4350-afa9-b11d37b7d6c9

"And this year's draft is a good place to find an offensive tackle – especially at the top of the class.

"The three left tackles this year – [Auburn's] Greg Robinson, [Michigan's] Taylor Lewan and [Texas A&M's] Jake Matthews – all three will have a higher grade than the three we talked about from last year that went at the top of the board," ESPN's draft expert Mel Kiper said on a national conference call last week."

Another article I found at Ravens.com discussing Mel Kipers view on the top three OT's

http://www.baltimore...a9-b11d37b7d6c9

"And this year's draft is a good place to find an offensive tackle – especially at the top of the class.

"The three left tackles this year – [Auburn's] Greg Robinson, [Michigan's] Taylor Lewan and [Texas A&M's] Jake Matthews – all three will have a higher grade than the three we talked about from last year that went at the top of the board," ESPN's draft expert Mel Kiper said on a national conference call last week."

If one of them is there, I don't see how we can pass on it. This is one of the higher % of instant return for the pick, picks (all 1st round o-line picks). No doubt, any of the three can step in as starter from day one, and be highly productive/successful … hard to promise that at most other positions.

Edited by CSBill

If one of them is there, I don't see how we can pass on it. This is one of the higher % of instant return for the pick, picks (all 1st round o-line picks). No doubt, any of the three can step in as starter from day one, and be highly productive/successful … hard to promise that at most other positions.

I would NOT pick Lewan at 9...I would be fine with the other 2...

All that said, if still prefer a FA at RT and LG.

Edited by thebandit27

We are only drafting for the RT position. That needs to be clear here.

Also as an aside ,

Astro ? You are saying that Boldin and Jones ARE eating crackers in your bed ? While you are typing. Thats gotta be pretty annoying .

But i like both/either of these guys on the Bills. Jones more

http://www.baltimore...a9-b11d37b7d6c9

Lewan has the red flag of being kind of a psycho. After what the Incognito situation has done to the Dolphins, neither the Bills nor any of the other top 15 teams picking in the draft are going anywhere near that guy in the 1st round.

Edited by 1billsfan

That's interesting. I don't think that Boldin leaves but James Jones, Nicks and to a lesser extent Lafell interest me.

Don't the new coaches have a connection to Nicks?

What's the source of this rumour?

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-discussion/2014/2/16/5414076/nfl-free-agency-2014-buffalo-bills-james-jones

Not that I know of. I don't remember hearing that any of them were from UNC or the Giants. It will be interesting to see what Nicks gets in free agency. He's really talented with flashes of brilliance but inconsistent and had had some injuries.

Lewan has the red flag of being kind of a psycho. After what the Incognito situation has done to the Dolphins, neither the Bills nor any of the other top 15 teams picking in the draft are going anywhere near that guy in the 1st round.

I admit Lewan's nastiness can get under opponents' skins (got Gholston thrown out of a game, for example). Will you want him playing for Miami?

http://guyism.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Taylor-Lewan.gif

http://abload.de/img/lewanmtush.gif

http://abload.de/img/chippyuws7q.gif

Not that I know of. I don't remember hearing that any of them were from UNC or the Giants. It will be interesting to see what Nicks gets in free agency. He's really talented with flashes of brilliance but inconsistent and had had some injuries.

Never mind. I was thinking of Rob Moore's connection to Dwayne Bowe.

Have a link for this "psycho" incognito type behavior?

All I've read about the guy is, he has a nasty demeanor and is a fierce competitor, which is exactly what you look for in an O lineman!

WalterFootball.com also mentions that Lewan played against Jadeveon Clowney, and he wasn't beaten for a sack, and Clowney din't make him look bad.

" Lewan could fit in the NFL in either a zone-blocking system or a power-man scheme. He would probably be best in a power-man scheme. It wouldn't be surprising if there is talk of Lewan moving to right tackle in the NFL during the lead up to the 2014 NFL Draft. That could be his best fit and make him more dominant. Most offensive linemen of his stature are right tackles."

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2014tlewan.php

So far the Steelers, Giants, and Titans are hoping he falls to them.

In this article Mel Kiper states Lewan could go as high as the #2 pick to the Rams.

"If he gets down 11 to Tennessee, he’s a heck of a pick,” Kiper said. “He could go two to St. Louis. He could go somewhere in that top grouping. Buffalo at nine is another team that is looking offensive tackle. So right now, if you had to say where he ranks on the board, he would be in the top 10. I have him at eight right now on the ‘big board.’ So he’s a top-10 guy ... you can push him up to even five, if you want.” http://www.freep.com/article/20140206/SPORTS06/302060119/2014-nfl-draft-taylor-lewan-michigan-football-mel-kiper

Have a link for this "psycho" incognito type behavior?

All I've read about the guy is, he has a nasty demeanor and is a fierce competitor, which is exactly what you look for in an O lineman!

WalterFootball.com also mentions that Lewan played against Jadeveon Clowney, and he wasn't beaten for a sack, and Clowney din't make him look bad.

" Lewan could fit in the NFL in either a zone-blocking system or a power-man scheme. He would probably be best in a power-man scheme. It wouldn't be surprising if there is talk of Lewan moving to right tackle in the NFL during the lead up to the 2014 NFL Draft. That could be his best fit and make him more dominant. Most offensive linemen of his stature are right tackles."

http://walterfootbal...t2014tlewan.php

So far the Steelers, Giants, and Titans are hoping he falls to them.

In this article Mel Kiper states Lewan could go as high as the #2 pick to the Rams.

"If he gets down 11 to Tennessee, he’s a heck of a pick,” Kiper said. “He could go two to St. Louis. He could go somewhere in that top grouping. Buffalo at nine is another team that is looking offensive tackle. So right now, if you had to say where he ranks on the board, he would be in the top 10. I have him at eight right now on the ‘big board.’ So he’s a top-10 guy ... you can push him up to even five, if you want.” http://www.freep.com...tball-mel-kiper

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/The-red-flag-report-Taylor-Lewan.html

It's just my opinion that teams high up in the draft like the Bills will not risk picking a guy with possible anger issues. I think he gets picked in the second half of the first round.

Mike Williams. :(

DJ Fluker was drafted #11 and I credit him in a big way for getting his team to the playoffs. I think that with the new CBA we might be seeing more of this. Draft picks are just not that expensive any more.

I'd give credit to Allen, a new offensive line coach, and a new head coach. Joeckel didn't make a difference and Fisher wasn't very good. I don't see any value in taking offensive line early. The game has evolved. T.J. Graham is horrible and played 70% of the snaps. If fans want the Bills to run a ball control offense then they should fire Marrone. They were one of the highest plays per 60 minutes.

http://www.nationalf...ylor-Lewan.html

It's just my opinion that teams high up in the draft like the Bills will not risk picking a guy with possible anger issues. I think he gets picked in the second half of the first round.

Ohhh a warning from the police....]

What some of you don't realize is every player has some skeletons in their closest from their college days. We will hear it all at the combine this week, and if he has serious red flags that we don't know about yet then he won't even get drafted in the first round of the draft.

My take is Kiper knows all there is to know about the kid, and still grades him as a top 10 pick.

Ohhh a warning from the police....]

What some of you don't realize is every player has some skeletons in their closest from their college days. We will hear it all at the combine this week, and if he has serious red flags that we don't know about yet then he won't even get drafted in the first round of the draft.

My take is Kiper knows all there is to know about the kid, and still grades him as a top 10 pick.

You wanted a link to Lewan's red flags and I provided you with one. Teams don't need charges or convictions to determine whether he's worth taking a risk on. You might as well cross Lewan off your list for the Bills because you generally don't see players with red flags taken with the #9 overall pick. That pick is way too valuable and there will be players with higher grades for the Bills to pick there anyways.

You wanted a link to Lewan's red flags and I provided you with one. Teams don't need charges or convictions to determine whether he's worth taking a risk on. You might as well cross Lewan off your list for the Bills because you generally don't see players with red flags taken with the #9 overall pick. That pick is way too valuable and there will be players with higher grades for the Bills to pick there anyways.

Let's not forget this one as well:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/04/taylor-lewan-admits-blatant-dirty-play-could-face-suspension/

Just what this team needs: an overrated OT that gets pissy and grabs face masks when things don't go his way...oh, and he also may assault women off the field.

The SB teams all had top 3 OLs. After that LB and WR are urgent needs.

Seattle's OL was horrible all year...Wilson ran for his life most of the time.

My hope is we find another Cody Glenn in the 2nd (possibly 3rd round).

I just think this team would be helped out so much by adding a dynamic LB.

So no. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the idea of an OT in the first round. However, as has been the case for a long time we have noticeable holes in other places to fill, as well.

Yes, thank you for that :D

As for that second sentance, that is just simply true, as Cam Newton had several more severe issues and was still drafted #1 overall. Getting kicked out of school for a run in with police over a stolen laptop, and he was also caught cheating on an exam, to name a few.

Trust me when I said just about every player has some red flags, as young people tend to do stupid stuff. Lewan's issues are very minor compared to some. Never arrested, and charged with any crimes that I see. He had early anger issues while playing that he correct his senior year. Like I said, very minor.

My hope is we find another Cody Glenn in the 2nd (possibly 3rd round).

I just think this team would be helped out so much by adding a dynamic LB.

So no. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the idea of an OT in the first round. However, as has been the case for a long time we have noticeable holes in other places to fill, as well.

This is also my hope, and the Bills trade back and grab an OT, OG, TE with those first three picks.