Wide Right !!

T master

It's in your subconscious. You heard the moaning, crying, and screaming while in your mother's womb.

A few years ago, I walked into a bar in a Tuesday afternoon in August. One of the TVs were showing NFL Network Super Bowl replays. Literally walked in as Norwood was lining up for the kick. Needless to say, that bar made a lot of money off me that day, as the next three things being shown were our other three Super Bowls.

Anyone else feel like they have to watch our Super Bowls any time their on, just because it's still one of the few times Buffalo gets media exposure anymore?

Ooh. I live outside Houston, so I get to remind them of the comeback.

I do remind them that the Titans use to be the Oilers so that helps lessen the burden a bit

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in the stadium at the time, and was thinking this is gonna be tough, as Norwood didn't have that strong a leg to make a 47 yarder with any regularity. Plus this was on grass, and not the turf he was used to kicking on.

He had the leg for that kick...wide right...heartbreaking! My kids were still crying when we got back to the house where we were staying.

For those that love misery ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT0r8wBL4QU

Edited by FeartheLosing

It happened a week and a half before I was born. Every time I see it on TV it hurts for some reason. And I wasn't even around for it. Maybe because it became a symbol of this teams futile history.

That's far scarier... 1991? Man, I'm OLD. When I was born, The Juice was going for 2,000.

Edited by BmoreBills

Kemp was qb when i was born. But whatever.

Every time i see the replay I keep expecting it to go through. That's how insane i am.

edit....or i should say...that's how insane all the losing has made me. i feel like i was pretty normal before all this madness started.

just one before i die...

Edited by jester43

For the first time I watched a tape of the game a little over a year ago.

I think it was game announcer Frank Gifford who was asking something to the effect of "can the Giants come back from a 17-3 deficit?" because the Bills were on the march and they just came off of a 51-3 AFC Championship victory a week ago.

But Andre Reed kept dropping passes.

And Jim Kelly only handed the ball off to Thurman Thomas 15 times.

And the Buffalo Bills lost.

But former Buffalo Bills head coach Marv Levy was elected to the Professional Football Hall of Fame. Which was a little justice for the '91 Buffalo Bills PLAYERS blowing what should have been an easy game against the NY Giants in Super Bowl XXV.

I was in the stadium at the time, and was thinking this is gonna be tough, as Norwood didn't have that strong a leg to make a 47 yarder with any regularity. Plus this was on grass, and not the turf he was used to kicking on.

He had the leg for that kick...wide right...heartbreaking! My kids were still crying when we got back to the house where we were staying.

For those that love misery ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT0r8wBL4QU

Thanks for finding. You know so many of us are going to watch that damn video again. Ugh!!!

I've always felt that "wide right" destroyed the players psyche. The 3 super bowls after that proved it. They played like world beaters during the season/post-season. But when they reached those 3 SB, they would play like they're always waiting for the other shoe to drop. I could see it in their faces & in their body language during those games. They never had the same swagger they had before SB 25. I have the VHS tape I recorded during SB 25. I've watched it only once, several years ago. The end was hard to take. That game is the "high water mark" of the franchise and I'm still proud how well they played that day. But "wide right" still hurts me.

I watched the game at the CPG on Main St in Buffalo and taped the game on my VCR at home. Yes, tape not DVD. Anyway, after a month of recovery I decided to rewatch the game and see if D Talley really missed making the tackle on S Baker three times on third and 21 or if it was just my imagination. Anyway, I watch the game and was dreading the WR kick when I found out my VCR had turned itself off as the ball was snapped. No lie..

Every time i see the replay I keep expecting it to go through. That's how insane i am.

edit....or i should say...that's how insane all the losing has made me. i feel like i was pretty normal before all this madness started.

just one before i die

Warren Rabb started the majority of games the year I was born. Yeah, I know...who IS Warren Rabb?

I was born..... I was 6 years old, but living in the UK I was completely oblivious to it. It was another 10/11 years before I began following the NFL and the Buffalo Bills. My feelings are kind of mixed.... and let me explain this.... when I watch those highlights and the missing rings America's Game etc I feel sorry that that great Bills team didn't win a Superbowl. It deserved one. I feel for Marv Levy who deserved a Superbowl too and obviously I feel a kind of sympathy pain for all you Bills fans that were there or can remember that moment. I watched my soccer team lose a Champions League Final very late on not all that many years ago and that was pretty devastating.

However.... from a purely selfish perspective there is a bit of me that is secretly quite glad we didn't win one, because the first one is always the best. And you only get to win the first one once.... and I can now live in perpetual hope that one day I will see the Buffalo Bills win their first Superbowl. And then I will cry probably for days. When it comes to sport defeat never reduces me to tears.... but success does.

Edited by GunnerBill

just one before i die...

For some reason every time I watch, I lean a little to the left expecting it to go through also. Like that is going to help it hook in.

I've always felt that "wide right" destroyed the players psyche. The 3 super bowls after that proved it. They played like world beaters during the season/post-season. But when they reached those 3 SB, they would play like they're always waiting for the other shoe to drop. I could see it in their faces & in their body language during those games. They never had the same swagger they had before SB 25. I have the VHS tape I recorded during SB 25. I've watched it only once, several years ago. The end was hard to take. That game is the "high water mark" of the franchise and I'm still proud how well they played that day. But "wide right" still hurts me.

I get what you are saying but I can admit that they were not the better team in the Washington and first Dallas games as those teams were just dominant

They should have won the second Dallas game though but Marv played it safe at the end of the first half deciding to play for the FG and a 7 point halftime lead instead of going for the TD and an 11 point halftime lead. The game was over when Thurman fumbled the shovel pass and was returned for a TD

They should have won the second Dallas game though but Marv played it safe at the end of the first half deciding to play for the FG and a 7 point halftime lead instead of going for the TD and an 11 point halftime lead. The game was over when Thurman fumbled the shovel pass and was returned for a TD

The second SB against Dallas the Cowboys were playing like absolute s**t. Thurman Thomas was running with the ball and Cowboys Leon Lett stuck his hand in and barely touched the ball that Thurman was carrying. Thurman Thomas fumbled the ball and a Cowboys player picked it up and ran it in for a TD.

The momentum was clearly in favor of the Buffalo Bills but it then went against the Bills after Thomas' fumble.

It was NOT Marv Levy's fault that the Bills lost that Super Bow.

It WAS Thurman Thomas' fault that the Bills lost that Super Bowl.

The only Buffalo Bills from the 4 SB era who belong in the Professional Football Hall of Fame are Head Coach Marv Levy and General Manager Bill Polian.

Screw everyone else. They don't deserve the time of day.

The second SB against Dallas the Cowboys were playing like absolute s**t. Thurman Thomas was running with the ball and Cowboys Leon Lett stuck his hand in and barely touched the ball that Thurman was carrying. Thurman Thomas fumbled the ball and a Cowboys player picked it up and ran it in for a TD.

The momentum was clearly in favor of the Buffalo Bills but it then went against the Bills after Thomas' fumble.

It was NOT Marv Levy's fault that the Bills lost that Super Bow.

It WAS Thurman Thomas' fault that the Bills lost that Super Bowl.

The only Buffalo Bills from the 4 SB era who belong in the Professional Football Hall of Fame are Head Coach Marv Levy and General Manager Bill Polian.

Screw everyone else. They don't deserve the time of day.

Are you a Patriots fan trolling Bills country or do you really believe this to be true?

That's far scarier... 1991? Man, I'm OLD. When I was born, The Juice was going for 2,000.

Thanks for letting me know that while the Juice was going for 2000 i was around 10 YO talk about feeling old !! :cry:

Excuse me while i go change my depends :oops: take me prostate & testosterone, meds & put on my toupee !!

Edited by T master